Epoxy floor in lanai

Closed Thread
Old 07-16-2021, 06:06 AM
Location: Citrus Grove, Saratoga Springs NY, East Greenbush NY, Millville MA, Saugerties NY, Elizaville NY
Default Epoxy floor in lanai

Hello! I’ll be moving into my home in September, and my lanai is bare concrete. Has anyone done epoxy flooring in their lanai? Pros & cons?
Can’t wait to become a “Villager”!
Old 07-16-2021, 06:19 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656

If you leave garage door open a lot, sun can bleach the edges out.
Old 07-16-2021, 06:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjn5656 View Post
If you leave garage door open a lot, sun can bleach the edges out.
That's why I always keep the garage door on my lanai down...

Ours came painted (like our driveway), not epoxied. Looks nicer than plain concrete, maybe keeps the dust/dirt down...

Our garage is epoxied and it definitely keeps the dust down and makes it easier to keep clean...

-Tom Petty
Old 07-16-2021, 12:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickivicki View Post
Hello! I’ll be moving into my home in September, and my lanai is bare concrete. Has anyone done epoxy flooring in their lanai? Pros & cons?
You will get (I hope) several replies on firms to do this work, just make sure that a friction layer is the final coat. Epoxy floors can be very slippery when wet. A material like 'shark grip' or equal in the final coat will give you a surface that is much less slippery.

Same advice goes if you decide to just paint the lanai.
Old 07-16-2021, 12:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,715 Times in 5,244 Posts

Most people only use epoxy in the garage because of the resistance to petroleum spills. They use a concrete "stain" which is painted on for the lanai, sidewalks, and driveways.
Old 07-16-2021, 12:42 PM

Had mine done, along with garage in new villa. Painter did not clear coat lanai, as he indicated that clear coat will yellow with sun exposure. If you get no exposure, that becomes moot.

The lanai is less glossy than the clear coated garage, but looks fine. If they sprinkle paint chips, that will greatly increase foot traction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickivicki View Post
Old 07-16-2021, 12:51 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
You will get (I hope) several replies on firms to do this work, just make sure that a friction layer is the final coat. Epoxy floors can be very slippery when wet. A material like 'shark grip' or equal in the final coat will give you a surface that is much less slippery.

Same advice goes if you decide to just paint the lanai.
Excellent advice, and once you find someone researches their ratings here. There are a lot of people that don't know what they are doing working on TV. And finally, NEVER pay for work until it is done.
Old 07-16-2021, 09:33 PM
Location: Citrus Grove, Saratoga Springs NY, East Greenbush NY, Millville MA, Saugerties NY, Elizaville NY

Thanks!
Old 07-17-2021, 04:46 AM
Default check out Behr's granite grip

check out granite grip
Old 07-17-2021, 05:13 AM
Veteran member

When we moved in we had the same tile that we have in the house place in our lanai, we also had glass sliding doors added. It was not that expensive. No worries about fading and since we didn't add air conditioning or heat it's not considered a room. It was one of the best additions we ever made.
Old 07-17-2021, 05:13 AM

My epoxy garage floor "up north" served well for a number of years, but not gracefully. It lost its sheen within a couple of years and never was very good at repelling stains.

I wanted something more durable here and with some research discovered polyaspartic coating, a compound much more durable than epoxy. The material is available under the brand name "Liquid Floors," and as expected is more expensive. The typical Liquid Floors installation starts with a base coat upon which a layer of decorative flakes is applied, and ends with a clear top layer that is super tough. Installation usually takes a day, followed by 2 days of not parking on it. See the Liquid Floors site for a full description.

Liquid Floors is a brand name used by many local affiliates who do the installation work. I have had excellent results from a local Liquid Floors installer based nearby in Inverness. If you are interested in something more durable than epoxy, talk with Liquid Floors Amy at 352-518-0855.

No, I receive no commission or referral compensation for this suggestion.

...and, as other suggest, when applied to a Lanai floor, a little bit of extra grit is good.
Old 07-17-2021, 05:37 AM

If you do not enclose the lanai, plain concrete is best since it absorbs the rain water. I had epoxy with shark bite on my garage floor and if it got wet (rain or car A/C) I had to mop up the water asap since it was a “slip and fall” waiting to happen…
Old 07-17-2021, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
That's why I always keep the garage door on my lanai down...

Ours came painted (like our driveway), not epoxied. Looks nicer than plain concrete, maybe keeps the dust/dirt down...

Our garage is epoxied and it definitely keeps the dust down and makes it easier to keep clean...
How does it keep the dust/dirt down?
Old 07-17-2021, 06:17 AM

Our lanai is painted to match the driveway and garage. We love it!
Old 07-17-2021, 06:55 AM

We had epoxy applied to our screened lanai floor. I watched the installer use a 5 gal bucket full of shark bite on an 8x15' surface. 24 hours later, it looked beautiful. I loved it! Until I took my first step onto it. Couldn't see the dew that was on the surface, it was like an ice rink, very nearly fell. Because I was too scared to walk on the bare surface after that, I bought an outdoor area rug. The rug hides my pretty epoxy floor. DUMB DUMB DUMB. Should have forwent the epoxy and just bought the rug to hide the ugly bare concrete. If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't choose epoxy.
Closed Thread

Tags
lanai, epoxy, wait, can’t, cons

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.