Epoxy floor in lanai

Closed Thread
Old 07-17-2021, 07:24 AM
Default Missy

We had the floor of the birdcage, pergola and connecting sidewalk tiled with slip-resistant tile. Very easy to clean with hose. Do an occasional mopping with detergent. Always looks nice. So glad that we chose not to paint especially with the hot FL sun.
Old 07-17-2021, 07:25 AM

We have something on our lanai called "knock down". I don't know the correct name. We have a hot tub. It does not seem slippery. It is similar to what is on kour ceilings in the interior.
Old 07-17-2021, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca9800 View Post
Should have forwent the epoxy and just bought the rug to hide the ugly bare concrete. If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't choose epoxy.
I can't remember the last time I saw "forwent" used in a sentence.
Old 07-17-2021, 08:40 AM
Default lanai floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickivicki View Post
Hello! I’ll be moving into my home in September, and my lanai is bare concrete. Has anyone done epoxy flooring in their lanai? Pros & cons?
Can’t wait to become a “Villager”!
I installed indoor outdoor carpet from Home Depot 20 years ago, and it still looks good. I just run the vacuum cleaner once a week.
Old 07-17-2021, 09:20 AM

Get several estimates..some are almost triple for the same job. Get word of mouth references or check signs posted where they have done other jobs
Old 07-17-2021, 09:27 AM

Some people paint which we did in our last house that really turned out nice. We did a concrete overlay look on our new house that we really like. Personal choice though-
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	8674D473-7E38-4C46-81D6-404D34E8566E.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	90148  
Old 07-17-2021, 09:36 AM
Default go for epoxy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickivicki View Post
Hello! I’ll be moving into my home in September, and my lanai is bare concrete. Has anyone done epoxy flooring in their lanai? Pros & cons?
Can’t wait to become a “Villager”!
Most people do not know how versatile epoxy floors are. We had our garage, patio and screened porch floors epoxied in our Georgia homes. Now we are have our lanai and patios epoxied by Garage Floors Plus More. Epoxy floors withstand heat, sun, ice, rain, sun, etc. They do NOT change color, and they are NOT slippery when wet. Garage Floors Plus More is probably the best company to choose for your project. They use the latest technology and are wonderful to work with. Go for It. You will not be sorry!
Old 07-17-2021, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdasta View Post
they are NOT slippery when wet.
Beg to differ w you, I live w it. Slick as snot, they are.
Old 07-17-2021, 09:54 AM

It was not done correctly. It takes two days to apply epoxy. It is not slippery when done correctly. We have had epoxy floors in garages, porches and patios. I heartily recommend Garage Floors Plus More—they know what they are dong. We are having them do our lanai and patio floors.
Old 07-17-2021, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriceunger View Post
Some people paint which we did in our last house that really turned out nice. We did a concrete overlay look on our new house that we really like. Personal choice though-
Can I ask who you used? That really turned out nice.
Old 07-17-2021, 11:00 AM

We did coat the lanai. We had them install “cool deck” first. It provides texture and covers the broom marks left from when the concrete was installed. Then we coated and it looks great and is clean. After we enclosed the lanai we have area rugs.
Old 07-17-2021, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdasta View Post
It was not done correctly. It takes two days to apply epoxy. It is not slippery when done correctly. We have had epoxy floors in garages, porches and patios. I heartily recommend Garage Floors Plus More—they know what they are dong. We are having them do our lanai and patio floors.
Our installation was a 2 day process. And it was THE same process 2 other companies described to me that they would use if awarded the job. Listen, I'm not looking for an argument w you, I described MY experience. I, and others (this string, as well as other threads on ToTV), report their epoxy floors are slippery. I'd hate to see someone injured bc they were assured the floor would NOT be slippery when in fact, they MAY be slippery. It's an important consideration for everyone, but particularly for those w mobility issues.
Old 07-17-2021, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobeaston View Post
My epoxy garage floor "up north" served well for a number of years, but not gracefully. It lost its sheen within a couple of years and never was very good at repelling stains.

I wanted something more durable here and with some research discovered polyaspartic coating, a compound much more durable than epoxy. The material is available under the brand name "Liquid Floors," and as expected is more expensive. The typical Liquid Floors installation starts with a base coat upon which a layer of decorative flakes is applied, and ends with a clear top layer that is super tough. Installation usually takes a day, followed by 2 days of not parking on it. See the Liquid Floors site for a full description.

Liquid Floors is a brand name used by many local affiliates who do the installation work. I have had excellent results from a local Liquid Floors installer based nearby in Inverness. If you are interested in something more durable than epoxy, talk with Liquid Floors Amy at 352-518-0855.

No, I receive no commission or referral compensation for this suggestion.

...and, as other suggest, when applied to a Lanai floor, a little bit of extra grit is good.
I second everything said here about Liquid Floors...and Amy! Extremely professional and the end result was exceptional. I had them do my garage and birdcage floors over a year ago. Each looks brand new. More expensive than most, but well worth it!
Old 07-17-2021, 12:09 PM

Use porcelain tile. Lowe’s ….look for closeouts. Not very expensive and lasts forever. You may need to drill some weep holes at the base to let out some moisture after heavy rain.
Old 07-17-2021, 12:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,012 Times in 1,739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca9800 View Post
Our installation was a 2 day process. And it was THE same process 2 other companies described to me that they would use if awarded the job. Listen, I'm not looking for an argument w you, I described MY experience. I, and others (this string, as well as other threads on ToTV), report their epoxy floors are slippery. I'd hate to see someone injured bc they were assured the floor would NOT be slippery when in fact, they MAY be slippery. It's an important consideration for everyone, but particularly for those w mobility issues.
Thank you for your experience. I will not epoxy anything because traction is very important to me. Another poster said he had double shark added to his epoxy and when wet it was so slippery he fell and broke his backbone. No thank you! That’s one reason we left the north… ice and snow - not to be repeated here.
Closed Thread

Tags
lanai, epoxy, wait, can’t, cons

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.