Exploring The Villages in October, 2020 - are there any singles groups?

Closed Thread
Old 10-02-2020, 12:05 PM
Default Exploring The Villages in October, 2020 - are there any singles groups?

Hi everyone! I'm dreaming of moving to The Villages and working in the real estate field at some level (I'm a 22 year seasoned Realtor). I'm Divorced, and would love to connect with other singles. I'm coming for the "tour" for 4 nights October 22-26, 2020. I want to play pickleball and golf while I'm there. But I just wondered how I connect with other single residents? I looked, but couldn't find any organized activities or groups. Maybe I didn't look in the right place. I'm really nervous about making this HUGE move from Dallas by myself (3 dogs). I want to lease an unfurnished 2 bedroom villa for a year, to make sure I like it there. How do I find a house to lease? I saw some, but they were all furnished, which I don't want because I want a long term lease. Any help you can give me would be appreciated. I'm scared, but I'm doing this! Thank you! Karen

karengearhartrealtor@gmail.com

Last edited by RealtorKaren; 10-02-2020 at 07:50 PM.
Old 10-02-2020, 12:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealtorKaren View Post
Hi everyone! I'm dreaming of moving to The Villages and working in the real estate field at some level (I'm a 22 year seasoned Realtor). I'm Divorced, and would love to connect with other singles. I'm coming for the "tour" for 4 nights October 22-26, 2020. I want to play pickleball and golf while I'm there. But I just wondered how I connect with other single residents? I looked, but couldn't find any organized activities or groups. Maybe I didn't look in the right place. I'm really nervous about making this HUGE move from Dallas by myself (3 dogs). I want to lease an unfurnished 2 bedroom villa for a year, to make sure I like it there. How do I find a house to lease? I saw some, but they were all furnished, which I don't want because I want a long term lease. Any help you can give me would be appreciated. I'm scared, but I'm doing this! Thank you! Karen Gearhart, 972-571-1139-karengearhartrealtor@gmail.com.
Here is a list of clubs....
https://www.districtgov.org/images/ClubsListing.pdf
Old 10-02-2020, 12:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,278 Times in 807 Posts

Before you waste a lot of time do your research about covenants. There is a two pet maximum per household rule.
Old 10-02-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Hi everyone! I'm dreaming of moving to The Villages and working in the real estate field at some level (I'm a 22 year seasoned Realtor). I'm Divorced, and would love to connect with other singles. I'm coming for the "tour" for 4 nights October 22-26, 2020. I want to play pickleball and golf while I'm there. But I just wondered how I connect with other single residents? I looked, but couldn't find any organized activities or groups. Maybe I didn't look in the right place. I'm really nervous about making this HUGE move from Dallas by myself (3 dogs). I want to lease an unfurnished 2 bedroom villa for a year, to make sure I like it there. How do I find a house to lease? I saw some, but they were all furnished, which I don't want because I want a long term lease. Any help you can give me would be appreciated. I'm scared, but I'm doing this! Thank you! Karen Gearhart, 972-571-1139-karengearhartrealtor@gmail.com.
There are MANY singles groups, all sanctioned and all listen in The Villages recreation news. You need to be careful because it depends on your goals. Some are primarily divorced people who are open to dating even though that might not be the express purpose of the group. Other groups are primarily widows and widowers who are not particularly wanting to "date" or form exclusive relationships. Other groups are "just" single people, divorced, widowed, never married. There are so many that, being new, you would have to try out as many as seem of interest to you; singles golf ? singles kayaking ? singles pickle-ball, or single WOMEN only who go out to try new restaurants once a month...there are one or more singles groups for nearly any interest.

Renting is definitely something you will want to do for SURE. There are so many villages and it does take awhile to decided which has the "feel" you want. Three dogs could be a problem, we don't have dogs but I seem to remember being given the "rules" which stated TWO dogs per household, but I'll leave that to others on here since I don't remember for sure since it didn't apply to us. Renting with three dogs, even if there is no limit, could prove difficult and you might have to contact one of the many realty agencies or one of the property management places, not hard to find ..... google of course... LOL !

Unfurnished places are not as common, that also might be a challenge, but you will find choices (again, it may take contacting a property management business, or, just search the classified on this site and try communicating directly with the owners.

It's a big move alone, but I have SO MANY friends I golf with who have done it, one as far away as California with the largest dog I've ever seen.... she LOVES it here. Singles and married don't seem to stay as segregated as they are in non retirement communities. I think people here who are married know life can change drastically at any money, so you don't see as much segregation of couples and singles, lots of both in all neighborhoods.

I will add that The Villages may be a better choice than other, very nice, very desirable, but smaller retirement communities which may not have as many groups and activities specifically for singles. You will find your comfort level and the right village for you if you just take your time and think you will be happy you had the courage to do it ! Do expect many things that are NOT the norm due to virus. That's the sad part ! People may not be as outgoing, not as many "driveway" parties and weekly neighborhood bring your own chair and drink of choice gatherings, music on the squares about to resume, but, capacity limited and who knows, it might be shut down again when you visit, don't think any one can plan right now, so keep that in mind... I'm sure nothing is completely "normal" in Texas either ! Wishing you the best.
Old 11-02-2020, 07:35 PM

Thank you so much!!
Old 11-02-2020, 07:41 PM

Thank you SO much! I found a list of singles clubs and printed it out. Looks like there is singles golf and pickleball. I think I've decided to sell everything and lease a furnished house, because there are more choices. I just wondered if there was any place to go for demographics information....like what is the percentage of single vs married residents? Do you happen to know where I could find out? Thanks again! Karen
Old 11-02-2020, 07:44 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,573 Times in 1,749 Posts

Hi Karen, this is the most comprehensive site I have found for demographic and other data on any US community. It appears that in The Villages about 25% are single in that they are widowed, divorced or never married.

The Villages, Florida (FL) profile: population, maps, real estate, averages, homes, statistics, relocation, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, moving, houses, news, sex offenders

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 11-02-2020 at 08:20 PM.
Old 11-03-2020, 07:21 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Hi Karen, this is the most comprehensive site I have found for demographic and other data on any US community. It appears that in The Villages about 25% are single in that they are widowed, divorced or never married.

The Villages, Florida (FL) profile: population, maps, real estate, averages, homes, statistics, relocation, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, moving, houses, news, sex offenders
Great site! Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-03-2020, 02:38 PM
John41

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Before you waste a lot of time do your research about covenants. There is a two pet maximum per household rule.
great advice
Old 11-03-2020, 02:53 PM

They are all small. One weighs 5 lbs and is more like a rabbit. I guess I won’t be moving there, if I can’t bring my babies.

Old 11-04-2020, 12:47 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,573 Times in 1,749 Posts

There are folks here with multiple dogs. Just saying...

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 11-04-2020, 09:28 PM
Location: Osceola Hills, previously from Oviedo FL (Orlando area)

I would not worry about the 2 dog limit, it is a guide, no one wants hoarding of live animals. Just check with your agent here to be sure they understand.
Old 11-05-2020, 06:23 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,857 Times in 894 Posts

Quote:
They are all small. One weighs 5 lbs and is more like a rabbit.
So you live with two dogs and a rabbit, that fits, you can still rent to own here
Old 11-06-2020, 10:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Moving here with 3 dogs has been done many times. When the extra dog passes away just don't replace it with another and you'll be OK. I would suggest a home with a fenced yard, some say an invisible fence is good, but it doesn't keep predators out of the yard. We have coyotes and bobcats that roam TV and about once a year you'll hear about someone's dog being snatched by a coyote, even with the owner nearby.

Courtyard villas all have fences, but I wouldn't let my dog out unattended even in a villa yard. There were some cottage homes with fenced yards build about 2016 in the Village of Pine Ridge, you might see one of them on the market once in awhile, but they sell quickly. In the new areas south of 44 they have courtyard villas (CYV) but also Veranda homes, which are single family homes with a fenced yard. You can still buy a home without a fence and just walk your dog on a leash, that's done hundreds of times a day in TV. Although many people will get very upset if your dog goes in their yard, just careful where you walk your dog.

A single person they have many clubs, South of 60 is popular for the younger people. I go to the MVP Gym at Brownwood 3 days a week, and I see people meeting people all the time there.

Here's why an owner in a CYV even needs to be outside with their dog, bobcats will walk along the top of the fence, this photo was taken in the Village of Hillsborough.

The Villages Florida
Old 02-02-2021, 07:54 AM

Just a postscript! I moved here with my 2 pups and rabbit, parakeet, and ‘56 Nash Metropolitan! I’m near Spanish Springs, and all is well! I guess I brought the cold weather from TexAs! Now to get vaccinated!

Closed Thread

Tags
lease, year, connect, find, singles

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.