Exterminators in The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 09-04-2014, 06:57 PM
Default Exterminators in The Villages

We are moving to TV next month, a villa in the village of Sumpter. Is an exterminator necessary and who do you recommend?
Old 09-04-2014, 07:06 PM

It is important to get an exterminator in The Villages. I have a contract with Dean's for all of my home services. They provide termite, insect spraying, mowing, weeding, fertilizer and whatever other lawn services I need. This is the second home that I've been with them and I am extremely satisfied.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:17 PM
Veteran member

Dean's does a great job! They handle our termite protection, as well as general extermination and all lawn care and treatments. No matter which company you decide to go with, make certain they are licensed (ask for a copy) to do termite inspection and control, and pest control. You can't do without one here in FL, and the company must be licensed by the State.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:12 PM

Agree with other posters; this is Florida. We use Massey and have been very satisfied after 5 years. No visible bugs in the house!!!!
Old 09-04-2014, 08:52 PM

Try Orkin for service. We have been very satisfied with them. And they
are very fair with their prices
Old 09-05-2014, 12:39 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Just Say No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomsiepop View Post
It is important to get an exterminator in The Villages. I have a contract with Dean's for all of my home services. They provide termite, insect spraying, mowing, weeding, fertilizer and whatever other lawn services I need. This is the second home that I've been with them and I am extremely satisfied.
Please . . . It is NOT important to exterminate! I cannot believe how the residents here put the fear of God in everyone and tell them that they must treat their house, their lawn etc., etc., etc. You do not need to treat anything unless you have or develop a problem. Save your money!

I have lived in Florida since 1983 and have never had a service because I have never had a problem. Seeing a bug here or there is not a reason to exterminate. This is Florida and bugs were here before us. Many years ago we had an issue with fleas (from our dog). We treated that problem and everything was fine after that.

Hiring a lawn service is another story if you choose not to take care of your yard yourself. But Please -- hold off from doing indiscriminate spraying unless you really have a problem.

As far as termites go, at one time or another every house in Florida will have termites somewhere. Once again, I do not believe you need a termite treatment every year. Our old house was built in the early 80s and five years ago we had termites in one isolated area. It cost $350.00 for the treatment. The pest control people will make you think these bugs will pick your house up and carry it away. They sound very convincing but don't let them scare you or convince you.

My suggestion is play the wait and see game. If you are not plagued with bugs, you don't need a service. If you have a problem, treat the problem and not your entire house on an ongoing basis. Make sense?
Old 09-05-2014, 06:48 AM
Sage

agree 110%
Old 09-05-2014, 07:02 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
Please . . . It is NOT important to exterminate! I cannot believe how the residents here put the fear of God in everyone and tell them that they must treat their house, their lawn etc., etc., etc. You do not need to treat anything unless you have or develop a problem. Save your money!

I have lived in Florida since 1983 and have never had a service because I have never had a problem. Seeing a bug here or there is not a reason to exterminate. This is Florida and bugs were here before us. Many years ago we had an issue with fleas (from our dog). We treated that problem and everything was fine after that.

Hiring a lawn service is another story if you choose not to take care of your yard yourself. But Please -- hold off from doing indiscriminate spraying unless you really have a problem.

As far as termites go, at one time or another every house in Florida will have termites somewhere. Once again, I do not believe you need a termite treatment every year. Our old house was built in the early 80s and five years ago we had termites in one isolated area. It cost $350.00 for the treatment. The pest control people will make you think these bugs will pick your house up and carry it away. They sound very convincing but don't let them scare you or convince you.

My suggestion is play the wait and see game. If you are not plagued with bugs, you don't need a service. If you have a problem, treat the problem and not your entire house on an ongoing basis. Make sense?
Don't agree at all. Kind of like not seeing the dentist until you have a toothache.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:53 AM
Email Reported As Spam

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

"Ignore a problem in haste and repent in leisure."

"He who hesitates is lost"
Old 09-05-2014, 03:38 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanfromNC View Post
We are moving to TV next month, a villa in the village of Sumpter. Is an exterminator necessary and who do you recommend?
You should be able to do this your self. However Termite protection should be done by a professional who has insurance to fix the property if damaged.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:44 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

"Ignore a problem in haste and repent in leisure."

"He who hesitates is lost"
While all your proverbs are well meaning, they truly don't apply when speaking about pesticides. Pesticides are contaminantes. They never disappear. Constant use of them have led to many diseases, including cancer. There are pesticides in use today and many of the long term results have yet to be proven. Years ago Chlordane was used to treat the foundations of newly constructed houses. No more! The results were found to be unsafe and terrifying.

I have moved and lived in many cities, states and a few other countries. I have never seen such indiscriminate use of pesticides as is in use in The Villages. Local companies have scared people to death -- scared them into thinking they must spray on a contractual basis. Then in turn, because Mary Jane next door does it, she tells you that you really need to do it. Scare tactics again!

I have never heard a company's spiel, but it must be heavy duty and most of it is probably not true. I can count on my fingers, the number of bugs I have found in my home in the past year. I'm not speaking about ones that may have flown in when the door was opened.

How many residents have waited to see if they really needed to sign up with one of these companies for their service? I'll bet none to hardly any. As I've said before -- a couple of bugs is not a reason to sign a contract to have perpetual spraying.

I'd rather use the proverb: Forewarned is forearmed!
Old 09-05-2014, 04:18 PM

I have to agree with those who think extermination contracts are necessary. I've lived in Florida since 1978 and can't imagine taking the risk of living here without these services. For example, we never saw any termites in our house in South Florida, yet when we were having some remodeling done involving removing a wall the contractor discovered that termites had eaten away ALL of the studs. I think the walls stayed up only because it was an old house with plaster, not Sheetrock! Those repairs were extremely expensive. After that, we had to have the house tented for treatment, and we gladly paid the annual inspection fee so that there were no issues when we sold the house.

Also, while bugs have been here before us, I still choose not to share my home with them.
Old 09-06-2014, 02:02 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RErmer View Post
I have to agree with those who think extermination contracts are necessary. I've lived in Florida since 1978 and can't imagine taking the risk of living here without these services. For example, we never saw any termites in our house in South Florida, yet when we were having some remodeling done involving removing a wall the contractor discovered that termites had eaten away ALL of the studs. I think the walls stayed up only because it was an old house with plaster, not Sheetrock! Those repairs were extremely expensive. After that, we had to have the house tented for treatment, and we gladly paid the annual inspection fee so that there were no issues when we sold the house.

Also, while bugs have been here before us, I still choose not to share my home with them.

I assume your house was pretty old when you had the termite problem (since you mentioned the walls were plaster). In a previous post, I did say that at some point, every house in Florida will have some kind of termite issue. While I am against contractual spraying for no reason, in an older home, it is a good idea to have a periodic termite inspection.

If you didn't pay for an annual service for say, 20 years, and then had to have some sort of termite treatment, it still would be substantially less expensive to have the treatment than to pay every year for the service.

Reread my previous post. No bug problem ever in a 25 year old house. A slight termite issue after 25 years that cost $350 to treat.

You make it sound like your current house would be overrun and infested with bugs if you didn't have a service contract with someone. Nothing could be further from the truth.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:44 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
While all your proverbs are well meaning, they truly don't apply when speaking about pesticides. Pesticides are contaminantes. They never disappear. Constant use of them have led to many diseases, including cancer. There are pesticides in use today and many of the long term results have yet to be proven. Years ago Chlordane was used to treat the foundations of newly constructed houses. No more! The results were found to be unsafe and terrifying.

I have moved and lived in many cities, states and a few other countries. I have never seen such indiscriminate use of pesticides as is in use in The Villages. Local companies have scared people to death -- scared them into thinking they must spray on a contractual basis. Then in turn, because Mary Jane next door does it, she tells you that you really need to do it. Scare tactics again!

I have never heard a company's spiel, but it must be heavy duty and most of it is probably not true. I can count on my fingers, the number of bugs I have found in my home in the past year. I'm not speaking about ones that may have flown in when the door was opened.

How many residents have waited to see if they really needed to sign up with one of these companies for their service? I'll bet none to hardly any. As I've said before -- a couple of bugs is not a reason to sign a contract to have perpetual spraying.

I'd rather use the proverb: Forewarned is forearmed!

Hi Bonanza: There is wisdom in your forewarned is forearmed and I do understand your reasoning and in many respects agree. I used chlordane in the 1970's not only for termites but for roaches, etc. using it around the perimeter of my plot, house etc. while neighbors were hiring exterminators to rid them of roaches...never had one bug in my house My relator believed every house in Memphis had roaches then I explained my neighbor owned three restaurants and mixed the chemical and showed me how to spray for its effective use. Neither he nor I had a bug problem. She became a convert

Forewarned is forearmed and so by virtue of the very existence of a pest control guy surveying the problem on a continuum and actively managing the potential for a problem in my humble view reduces the problem by actively treating it including any rodent problems.

In short pest problem is like any other risk. You can do nothing, treat it yourself or transfer it. In the latter situation by contract my pest control guy will return as often as needed to treat the problem and I believe since he has the training more effectively than could I.

Personal Best Regards:
Old 09-06-2014, 07:33 AM
Sage

Quote:

!
You may not be having a bug problem because your neighbors and everyone else is spraying to kill them! Had a termite problem in a home in Jacksonville that was less than 8 years old. Cost around $25k for repairs - thanks, but I choose to be safe not sorry.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.