Fatal Golf Cart Accident

Closed Thread
Old 07-09-2011, 05:53 PM
Location: All over CA, ID, WA, and now the Village of St. James, TV

We're new to TV and haven't yet bought a golf cart, but I think I'd feel more secure with seatbelts in the cart. If that's an option you pay extra for, I'd be willing to pay extra for that sense of security. I don't know that it needs to be a requirement, but if given the option, I'd definitely opt to be buckled up. Sad to hear of the recent accidents- my heart goes out to those involved, and their families.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawatha View Post
We're new to TV and haven't yet bought a golf cart, but I think I'd feel more secure with seatbelts in the cart. If that's an option you pay extra for, I'd be willing to pay extra for that sense of security. I don't know that it needs to be a requirement, but if given the option, I'd definitely opt to be buckled up. Sad to hear of the recent accidents- my heart goes out to those involved, and their families.
We have a Polaris cart and it came with seat belts in the front as well as for the rear seat. It's nice having them. Helps especially in making sure the passenger is kept from falling out when sharp turns are made.

I know one can be thrown from a cart in an accident, but it's pretty easy for someone to fall from a cart while riding around, and hit their head on the pavement.

Personally, I'm in favor of belts for carts, but I know not all are.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:15 PM
Default Identification when Out and About

Some posters have mentioned that they do not always have ID when they are out and about in their carts or walking. My Hubby and I have solved that. he rides a bike a lot and wears an Identification bracelet, like the stretchy ones for cancer awareness. His actually has a clasp on the strap for easily removing if needed. I have two, one attached to my shoe strings over th tongue of the shoe and also the bracelet kind and they also make military style dog tags, (and a tag for your canine dogs collar). The great thing about these Road ID's is that they also have your medical history stored online just a phone call away for the first responder. They also work great for parents who might suffer from demensia and might wonder off. Id is usually with them.

And yes I do usually have a purse or wallet with me, but if it gets thrown out of a vehicle, car or golf cart, or gets under the seat, or stolen, then it is useless. And My mother carries her medical info in her purse, but that might not be the first place for a first responder to look (in the envelope with all her receipts) for medical info. So she has a bracelet that she sometimes wears. Sometimes is better than never I guess. but it is usually in her purse or attached to the strap.

The Website for Road ID is
http://www.roadid.com/Common/Catalog.aspx?C=RoadID#42

If this appeals to you check it out, if it doesn't check it out anyway. We wear ours around The Villages, on trips ( I travel alone alot), kayaking, boating, walking, just about everything we do. At minimue it has a contact name nd phone number readily visible.

And don't forget the ICE for your phone.....In Case of Emergency. Open your contacts and create a name called ICE... then list your family names and number here so they have that if they have your phone. Enter several names and numbers. First responders look for both of these forms of information in an emergency.

Take a look. Might save a life!!!
Old 07-31-2011, 09:03 PM

Under ICE in my cell phone as well as three contact numbers I used comments to put in medication allergies, meds currently taking and insurance info. Hope no one ever has to look there but if they do..........
Old 07-31-2011, 09:10 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Is looking for ICE on your phone something that first responders or emergency room folks know to do? It seems like a very simple thing to have on your smartphone, but you would need to not have a password or activation code on your phone..right?

Is ICE the standard app or are there others?

Just asking, 'cause I don't know....
Old 07-31-2011, 10:40 PM
Gold member

Thought I'd share a helpful hint regarding personal identification. I made several little business cards " EMERGENCY CONTACTS" our full names along with 4 contact people & their phone #'s...I did not use last names for the contacts. We carry those cards in our golf cart, auto and our wallets.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
Is looking for ICE on your phone something that first responders or emergency room folks know to do? It seems like a very simple thing to have on your smartphone, but you would need to not have a password or activation code on your phone..right?

Hi Mike:

Nie to see you back safely. My understanding is the first responders/police will scroll or do a search for ICE XXXXXX. On my phone I have ICE Debbie for instance.

George
Old 08-01-2011, 07:29 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaManson View Post
Some posters have mentioned that they do not always have ID when they are out and about in their carts or walking. My Hubby and I have solved that. he rides a bike a lot and wears an Identification bracelet, like the stretchy ones for cancer awareness. His actually has a clasp on the strap for easily removing if needed. I have two, one attached to my shoe strings over th tongue of the shoe and also the bracelet kind and they also make military style dog tags, (and a tag for your canine dogs collar). The great thing about these Road ID's is that they also have your medical history stored online just a phone call away for the first responder. They also work great for parents who might suffer from demensia and might wonder off. Id is usually with them.

And yes I do usually have a purse or wallet with me, but if it gets thrown out of a vehicle, car or golf cart, or gets under the seat, or stolen, then it is useless. And My mother carries her medical info in her purse, but that might not be the first place for a first responder to look (in the envelope with all her receipts) for medical info. So she has a bracelet that she sometimes wears. Sometimes is better than never I guess. but it is usually in her purse or attached to the strap.

The Website for Road ID is
http://www.roadid.com/Common/Catalog.aspx?C=RoadID#42

If this appeals to you check it out, if it doesn't check it out anyway. We wear ours around The Villages, on trips ( I travel alone alot), kayaking, boating, walking, just about everything we do. At minimue it has a contact name nd phone number readily visible.

And don't forget the ICE for your phone.....In Case of Emergency. Open your contacts and create a name called ICE... then list your family names and number here so they have that if they have your phone. Enter several names and numbers. First responders look for both of these forms of information in an emergency.

Take a look. Might save a life!!!
These are great. When our son was younger, we had bracelets with names, phone number, address and blood type. We've moved and he's now an adult and neither of our bracelets fit...we've both "outgrown them"... These id bands look much more comfortable than our older ones. I'll be ordering mine today. Thanks so much for the link.

Pat
Old 08-01-2011, 10:40 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post

Yes it is something that got started back in 2005, see link below. I have two listed on my cell contact list, ICE-Home and ICE-Cell
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_case_of_emergency
Old 08-01-2011, 01:16 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
Sounds like it to me. When I get there (in TV perm) I want to bring all these to the attention of Sumter County sheriff's dept who still insist that belts hurt more than help. They are just not looking at real world results - Sad!
last wednsday at the tomberlin club meeting lt. wolfe reminded everyone that seat belts are mandatory and if caught not using them its a $166 fine. funny how lsv drivers need that safety and all the golf cart drivers dont ??
Old 08-01-2011, 01:21 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
My dentist always does a cavity search.
and that's exactly why I married a dentist
Old 08-01-2011, 07:40 PM
Sage

thanks to everyone for the ICE thing. Never knew that. Just did it to both phones.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.