Fatal Golf Cart Accident

Closed Thread
Old 07-01-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMF Doc View Post
It appeared to involve a golf cart and a pick up truck pulling a trailer.
We live in Southern Star Villas. It was a golf cart and a pickup. Don't know about the trailer. The police had blocked off Southern Star Way at St. Charles for quite a while. Later I saw the golf cart and pickup on flat bed haulers. The golf cart was bent, I guess you could say, and the truck appeared untouched. Don't know why the truck was being hauled away, maybe for evidence.

So sad and unnecessary.

I know a lot of us newbies don't realize the stops at St. Charles are NOT 4-way.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:25 PM
Veteran member

According to the Daily Sun article, the driver of the golf cart was thrown out and then run over and dragged by the pickup truck and trailer. It did not assign blame to either since there will be an investigation.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:47 PM

Prayers up for the family. So very, very sad. I am very sorry to hear this news.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbugs View Post
the driver of the golf cart was thrown out and then run over and dragged by the pickup truck and trailer.
So sad again!

Let's send this one to Lt. Wolfe. Two in one month where the driver was thrown from the cart and THAT was probably the cause of death.

Don't care what Sumter County Sheriff dept. says - I'm getting belts in an upgraded seat.

Sounds like belts could have saved another TVer. So sad.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:26 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Rover View Post
Does anyone know how many people have died in golf cart accidents, and over what time period? Seems we are hearing it so much more now.
Yesterday's POA Newsletter stated 10 deaths over 5 years. Tragic but not a lot for a community this size with 50,000 golf carts competing with cars and trucks.
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:47 PM
Default Sympathies to both families

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALYBOW View Post
My neighbor, Frank Calhoun, just died from injuries sustained in a golf cart accident yesterday at St. Charles and Southern Star. His cart was broadsided. Please join me in praying for his wife Nancy and her family. TY.
How very sad to hear of another. Our heartfelt sympathies to both families.
Please be careful everyone!

Peg & Bob
Old 07-01-2011, 05:09 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default What is going to happen as we grow bigger?

I am a bit more composed now than I was with my first post. I still can't figure out how to start a thread but I so wanted to warn everyone the be hypervigilant when driving in all vehicles. The visitors are here and they are not too well apprised of the rules of the road here.
Yesterday I saw a 10-12 ish young girl driving her 6-7 ish sister in a golf cart at the corner of Canal and Bonita. She had pulled all the way up to the stop sign and signaled that she wanted to turn left from the golf cart lane. That involves crossing two lanes to turn left. She did appear to be vigilant and all but an experienced driver would have changed lanes further down Canal before the intersection. In light of losing my friend Frank I keep wondering what would have happened if those young girls were hit. They probably did not have any ID and no one would know who they were visiting. If unable to talk, they would have been transported to the ED alone. My heart is saddened at the lack of good judgement on the part of parents and grandparents.

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 07-01-2011, 05:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALYBOW View Post
I am a bit more composed now than I was with my first post. I still can't figure out how to start a thread but I so wanted to warn everyone the be hypervigilant when driving in all vehicles. The visitors are here and they are not too well apprised of the rules of the road here.
Yesterday I saw a 10-12 ish young girl driving her 6-7 ish sister in a golf cart at the corner of Canal and Bonita. She had pulled all the way up to the stop sign and signaled that she wanted to turn left from the golf cart lane. That involves crossing two lanes to turn left. She did appear to be vigilant and all but an experienced driver would have changed lanes further down Canal before the intersection. In light of losing my friend Frank I keep wondering what would have happened if those young girls were hit. They probably did not have any ID and no one would know who they were visiting. If unable to talk, they would have been transported to the ED alone. My heart is saddened at the lack of good judgement on the part of parents and grandparents.
I'm so sorry that yet another person has died in a golf cart accident. My prayers are offered for them and those who loved them.

I'm sending you a PM about how to start a thread, Saly.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:18 PM
Sage

My heart aches for you Salybow, and for the families and other friends.

Two fatal cart accidents in so short a time is sobering, and so very, very sad.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:35 AM
Default Condolences

My condolences to the family and friends of Frank Calhoun for their loss. In tribute to Mr. Colhoun's memory, all of us here at TV chould practice safe driving when operating our golf carts, to include NOT allowing children to operate them.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
My heart aches for you Salybow, and for the families and other friends.

Two fatal cart accidents in so short a time is sobering, and so very, very sad.
Exactly so.

I send my sympathy too, for all involved.

And I too am searching for any common denominator.

Do most think it is the workers who are driving without thinking that add to this???
Old 07-04-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Exactly so.

I send my sympathy too, for all involved.

And I too am searching for any common denominator.

Do most think it is the workers who are driving without thinking that add to this???
Given the mix of golf carts, senior citizens and normal everyday traffic accidents will happen. To generalize and say that the workers are driving without thinking is wrong.

EVERYONE needs to pay more attention to what they are doing when behind the wheel.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:02 AM
Sage

Last i saw was that the worker was not charged. So I can only assume it was either a 50-50 wrong or the golf cart driver at fault.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:03 AM
Platinum member

Amen

Old 07-04-2011, 09:09 AM
Platinum member
Default Not yet charged pending investigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
Last i saw was that the worker was not charged. So I can only assume it was either a 50-50 wrong or the golf cart driver at fault.
According to the witnesses at the scene the pickup truck failed to stop for a stop sign at Tamarind Grove and T-Boned the cart which was traveling north on St, Charles. The vehicle on the main street always has the right of way when it has no stop sign and the side street does. Perhaps the sheriff is dotting his i's and crossing his t's before he issuse a citation. Hopefully he is not getting any pressure to not assign guilt.

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.