Fatal Golf Cart Accident

Closed Thread
Old 07-04-2011, 09:55 AM
Sage

thanks for the update Sally.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:36 AM
Gold member

And yet another golf cart fatality last night. This one up in Stone Creek near Ocala:

http://www.ocala.com/article/2011070...23/0/FRONTPAGE
Old 07-04-2011, 11:39 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdVinMass View Post
And yet another golf cart fatality last night. This one up in Stone Creek near Ocala:

http://www.ocala.com/article/2011070...23/0/FRONTPAGE
This reads like it could possibly have been a medical issue with the gentleman and nothing to do with driving a golf cart.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 07-04-2011, 11:43 AM
Gold member

Could be, but a seat belt might have saved him.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdVinMass View Post
Could be, but a seat belt might have saved him.
Sounds like it to me. When I get there (in TV perm) I want to bring all these to the attention of Sumter County sheriff's dept who still insist that belts hurt more than help. They are just not looking at real world results - Sad!
Old 07-04-2011, 06:59 PM
Default Golf cart accidents

All too often I have seen underage drivers in carts without adult supervision, I have 6 Grandchildren and would not think about letting them drive without supervision, even though they have drivers licences this is a new experience for some and they do get to be careless. If more Grandparents would not try to be the "good guy" and let them run wild with carts perhaps we would see less near misses.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:38 PM
Sage

deleted.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:44 PM
Sage

I'm so sad to hear of these needless deaths. I'd guess that seniors tend to make more driving errors than younger drivers, whether in cars or golf carts. I think that living in a golf cart community is so much fun that we sometimes don't realize how vulnerable we are in golf carts. Please, everyone, drive defensively and always expect the other driver to do something unpredictable.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:28 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to barb1191

Just asking.....

Have most of these cart accidents been caused by underage children driving them? I wonder.

When I first moved here in 2002, I mentioned to hubby that, "can you imagine the massive traffic that would be on these roads if we didn't have the golf-cart paths? At that time I thought that the golf carts were so safe and must have cut down on auto accidents.

Since the massive buildout site of Rte 466 South, there seem to be more cart accidents which I suppose is due to the increase in population. What can we do to alleviate these accidents? How much control do the authorities have over the cart drivers?

It's come to pass that I fear when my husband takes the cart, as there is really no protection with this vehicle. You're at the mercy of anyone and everyone.

I would like to see a ruling of NO GOLF CARTS on streets and if necessary build more cart paths. Doubt that's possible, but just a thought.

Finally, we do have to contend with commercial vehicles who are threatening the safety of many, since I notice that most disregard the rules of the road most of the times.

Just sayin'......

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

"Being kind is more important than being right." By Andy Rooney
Old 07-05-2011, 06:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default I think the accidents are caused by a number of factors..but we should start with US.

It is troubling and sad to read of so many accidents involving golf carts as of late..... And even more sad to read of the fatalities of people in golf carts.

Some have posted that they are annoyed with the police presence slowing everyone down and giving tickets.

I don't care how annoying that is as long as it gets some people to pay more attention to their driving.

I don't think it is common (but certainly not unheard of) to see underage children piloting a golf cart. I think that most of the problems happen while people old enough to drive...are driving.

I think many of us may have our minds on other things when we really need to focus more on everyone driving around us. I know I tend to daydream when I am out in the cart with such beautiful surroundings.

I know I will try to do better.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:38 AM
Veteran member

Really, 10 or 12 golf cart deaths in whatever number of years in a community of 80,000 is not very large. There are 50,000 golf carts. Carelessness is the main reason for most of the deaths. Going the wrong way on a traffic circle at night in an undeveloped area is a prime example.

Blowing through stop signs by either the golf cart or the other vehicle is probably the most common accident.

If anyone would feel better wearing a helmet and/or seat belt, just do it. There is no law but do it if you want. Might be good for some very old or very young passengers.

Main thing, remember you are in an unenclosed vehicle. Drive Defensively.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:14 AM
Gold member

whats next - seat belts on motorcycles ??? Maybe helmets for motorcycles ??
seat belts for bicycles ?
Old 07-05-2011, 07:33 AM
Platinum member

And a roll bar too!

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 07-05-2011, 07:39 AM

I will be installing seat belts in my cart. Far different than on my motorcycle for obvious reasons.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:24 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb1191 View Post
Just asking.....

Finally, we do have to contend with commercial vehicles who are threatening the safety of many, since I notice that most disregard the rules of the road most of the times.

Just sayin'......
Barb,

I think that there are some that do disregard the rules - or who are less attentive than they should be while driving. I believe that this also holds true for some cart drivers, bicycle riders, motorcyclists, car drivers etc.

To say that MOST commercial vehicles ignore the rules MOST of the time is surely a bit overstated?

k

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.