Fenney and Coleman Prison

Closed Thread
Old 09-16-2018, 06:10 PM
Smile Fenney and Coleman Prison

Moved to Fenney August 10, 2018. Just discovered we are a short walk (2-3 miles as the crow flies, with no natural barriers) from a Federal Penitentiary housing 7000+ inmates!! Why in the world are the Morses building so close to a long established penitentiary?? These are typically great distances outside neighborhoods. This is insane and the stigma alone should impact values in a huge way. Shame on you developers for not notifying us of this.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:08 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Kennedy View Post
Moved to Fenney August 10, 2018. Just discovered we are a short walk (2-3 miles as the crow flies, with no natural barriers) from a Federal Penitentiary housing 7000+ inmates!! Why in the world are the Morses building so close to a long established penitentiary?? These are typically great distances outside neighborhoods. This is insane and the stigma alone should impact values in a huge way. Shame on you developers for not notifying us of this.
I wish you the best but that is one of the reasons we had no interest in Fenney.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:00 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,328 Posts

Quote:
That is a shame, but most of the people in TV knew about the penitentiary. At least I have never heard about any escapes.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:30 AM
Sage

Quote:
I'm very sorry that the real estate agent didn't notify about the Coleman Penitentiary. Obviously you find it very upsetting.
The fact that Fenney is located close to a large penitentiary is a well-known fact to many of us.
So good news, the stigma probably won't impact values in a big way.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:45 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,572 Times in 1,748 Posts

I remember the 1971 Attica prison riot which occurred while I was living in Rochester, NY. I was relieved it was about 50 miles from where I resided. Attica Prison riot - Wikipedia

Friends of mine used to live within walking distance of the state penitentiary in Santa Fe, NM. It gets a little tense there when an escape occurs and of course it got really tense when the most violent prison riot in American history erupted in 1980. New Mexico State Penitentiary riot - Wikipedia

Although many folks are OK with it living near a prison is just not for me.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 09-17-2018, 01:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Wondering if you were told about; sink holes, hurricanes, tornadoes, 90 degree summer temperatures, grown children that get in trouble and move in with grandpa, speeders on Morse Blvd & Buena Vista, sometimes long lines at the restaurants during high season...……..should I go on?
Old 09-17-2018, 02:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Google Maps says I'm 24.5 miles away and 43 minutes driving time. I knew it was there when I bought 14 years ago. I guess I just did my homework. Why would someone blame the Morses if they didn't do theirs?

James Joseph "Whitey" Bulger says....... neighbor.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:11 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,634 Times in 928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
Google Maps says I'm 24.5 miles away and 43 minutes driving time. I knew it was there when I bought 14 years ago. I guess I just did my homework. Why would someone blame the Morses if they didn't do theirs?
Human nature. If it is another person's' fault, then it is not my fault.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

Federal Correctional Complex, Coleman - Wikipedia

There seem to be four buildings there with different levels of security for each as well as a prison camp.

USP Coleman I
Old 09-17-2018, 02:20 PM

Not a joke - I hear that Whitey Bulger is doing his time there. If a nearby prison bothers you, don't buy in that area. I knew it was here. I also knew about the quarry - and I'm perfectly happy and secure here. To each his own.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:24 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Not to throw stones but anyone that moves into a new state or town should check the surrounding area they're moving into before doing so. Been here since 09 don't recall any problems at Colemen. There's also a Cement plant and a Quarry near you where you'll hear blasting sometimes.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Actually when you look at new property purchased by the developer, they will be closer than you. Since you didn’t notice the yard lights, or the sirens from the prison that some who don’t live there have said will plague Fenney, I am guessing all is well. Most prisons are near neighborhoods in all states. When we visited in 07 we knew the facility was there, I did my research before we bought in 2010.

Along with the fences, and the woods, if there could be a break, they are not going to run to Fenney.
Just a few facts, many of those that bought in Fenney moved from different villages in TV. They knew the prison was there, and still moved.

It’s quiet and very calming in your area, we are still thinking Moving that way.
Our oldest is going to be buying when in the new area, he likes less hustle and bustle. Enjoy your new home
Old 09-17-2018, 03:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
<snip> These are typically great distances outside neighborhoods. This is insane and the stigma alone should impact values in a huge way. <snip>
While I understand your shock, this statement simply isn't always true. If you spend some time checking other locations, you will see.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:10 PM

I will be closing on a new home in that area in November, never gave the prison or the quarry a thought. Knew about them in advance. As others have stated if a break happens they will want to be out of the area as quickly as possible...
Old 09-17-2018, 03:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 865 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post

James Joseph "Whitey" Bulger says....... neighbor.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.