Fenney and Coleman Prison

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 06:10 PM

Smile Fenney and Coleman Prison

Moved to Fenney August 10, 2018. Just discovered we are a short walk (2-3 miles as the crow flies, with no natural barriers) from a Federal Penitentiary housing 7000+ inmates!! Why in the world are the Morses building so close to a long established penitentiary?? These are typically great distances outside neighborhoods. This is insane and the stigma alone should impact values in a huge way. Shame on you developers for not notifying us of this.

Old 09-16-2018, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Kennedy View Post
Moved to Fenney August 10, 2018. Just discovered we are a short walk (2-3 miles as the crow flies, with no natural barriers) from a Federal Penitentiary housing 7000+ inmates!! Why in the world are the Morses building so close to a long established penitentiary?? These are typically great distances outside neighborhoods. This is insane and the stigma alone should impact values in a huge way. Shame on you developers for not notifying us of this.
I wish you the best but that is one of the reasons we had no interest in Fenney.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:00 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
That is a shame, but most of the people in TV knew about the penitentiary. At least I have never heard about any escapes.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:30 AM
Sage

Quote:
I'm very sorry that the real estate agent didn't notify about the Coleman Penitentiary. Obviously you find it very upsetting.
The fact that Fenney is located close to a large penitentiary is a well-known fact to many of us.
So good news, the stigma probably won't impact values in a big way.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:45 AM
Sage

Location: NJ, NY, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NM, CA and ID, not necessarily in that order

I remember the 1971 Attica prison riot which occurred while I was living in Rochester, NY. I was relieved it was about 50 miles from where I resided. Attica Prison riot - Wikipedia

Friends of mine used to live within walking distance of the state penitentiary in Santa Fe, NM. It gets a little tense there when an escape occurs and of course it got really tense when the most violent prison riot in American history erupted in 1980. New Mexico State Penitentiary riot - Wikipedia

Although many folks are OK with it living near a prison is just not for me.
Old 09-17-2018, 01:41 PM
Sage

Wondering if you were told about; sink holes, hurricanes, tornadoes, 90 degree summer temperatures, grown children that get in trouble and move in with grandpa, speeders on Morse Blvd & Buena Vista, sometimes long lines at the restaurants during high season...……..should I go on?
Old 09-17-2018, 02:00 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Google Maps says I'm 24.5 miles away and 43 minutes driving time. I knew it was there when I bought 14 years ago. I guess I just did my homework. Why would someone blame the Morses if they didn't do theirs?

James Joseph "Whitey" Bulger says....... neighbor.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:11 PM
Veteran member

Location: Ohio, Indiana, Missouri, Georgia, The Villages (St. James)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
Google Maps says I'm 24.5 miles away and 43 minutes driving time. I knew it was there when I bought 14 years ago. I guess I just did my homework. Why would someone blame the Morses if they didn't do theirs?
Human nature. If it is another person's' fault, then it is not my fault.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:13 PM
Sage

Federal Correctional Complex, Coleman - Wikipedia

There seem to be four buildings there with different levels of security for each as well as a prison camp.

USP Coleman I
Old 09-17-2018, 02:20 PM

Not a joke - I hear that Whitey Bulger is doing his time there. If a nearby prison bothers you, don't buy in that area. I knew it was here. I also knew about the quarry - and I'm perfectly happy and secure here. To each his own.
Closed Thread