Fenney and Coleman Prison

Closed Thread
Old 09-17-2018, 03:23 PM

I've said this in other posts, but will say it again - I can't speak for everyone and of course this area is fairly large, so it may depend on what part you are in. I have been here several months, I work from home so I am in my house probably a lot more day and night than the average villager is home. As far as the prison goes, I have yet to see any lights, hear any sirens, or hear PA announcements coming from there. In other words, I experience nothing (visually or audibly) that reminds me that it's even there. I agree with the statement above - if someone escapes, they are likely wanting to get further away than Fenney, but even if they came here, what are the odds they are coming to my house. And as a staunch 2nd amendment supporter and the owner of 2 alert dogs, God help them if they do choose my door or window. As for the quarry, no explosions are heard. You feel the ground shake/vibrate for less than a second and it's over. And though they are permitted to blast 5 times a month, I have felt it twice in almost 5 months. It doesn't knock things out of place or leave any traces that it ever happened and it only happens in the daytime. At my previous home, I lived about a half mile from a train track that hauled freshly produced steel plates (heavy!) from a mill almost daily. Sometimes it would be during the day, sometimes it was at night. It was a long slow train and when it would pass, we could feel the vibrations from it and hear it meandering down the tracks. I'll take a half second shake once every couple months over that train any day.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:13 PM

The Olympic Doctor just got transferred there--from the Detroit newspaper:

In the wake of losing two appeals of his prison sentences, Larry Nassar has been moved to a high-security federal prison in central Florida that has been described as a "safe" place for high-profile inmates.

Nassar is now housed in Coleman II United States Penitentiary, a prison in Sumterville, Florida, near Orlando, the Federal Bureau of Prisons website showed Tuesday.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageIdiots View Post
Not a joke - I hear that Whitey Bulger is doing his time there. If a nearby prison bothers you, don't buy in that area. I knew it was here. I also knew about the quarry - and I'm perfectly happy and secure here. To each his own.
I second that !
Old 09-17-2018, 04:43 PM
Location: Elizabethtown, Ky with winter house in the Village of Desoto

I am very hesitant to post this in fear of my property value dropping but did anyone make you aware that you bought a house in lightning alley. There are more lightning strikes between Tampa and Orlando than anywhere else in the U.S.. The most recent account I could find was an average of 2.5 deaths a year in Florida. I could not find one incident of a escaped prisoner killing anyone in Florida. I think I just heard my property value in Desoto hit the floor. Sorry neighbors.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:13 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Wondering if you were told about; sink holes, hurricanes, tornadoes, 90 degree summer temperatures, grown children that get in trouble and move in with grandpa, speeders on Morse Blvd & Buena Vista, sometimes long lines at the restaurants during high season...……..should I go on?
What sealed the deal for me in my decision to move to the villages is the fact that Fl is now last in the number of alien abductees.

Cerabino: Chance of UFO sightings in Florida is a $10 million question

Also, my insurance rate is the cheapest here. I got a $10 million policy for only $19.95 from The Alien Abduction & Casualty Insurance Company in Altamonte Springs FL.

ALIEN ABDUCTION INSURANCE
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	XFiles.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	76555  
Old 09-17-2018, 05:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Kennedy View Post
Moved to Fenney August 10, 2018. Just discovered we are a short walk (2-3 miles as the crow flies, with no natural barriers) from a Federal Penitentiary housing 7000+ inmates!! Why in the world are the Morses building so close to a long established penitentiary?? These are typically great distances outside neighborhoods. This is insane and the stigma alone should impact values in a huge way. Shame on you developers for not notifying us of this.
Why would anybody who really felt duped like described above try their case on TOTV'S. Have we learned from past practice that the first post from a person that comes out blasting on any issue is usually a DUD. This is a place to share your thoughts but maybe you should lawyer up?????

If this is, in fact, true that you were not notified about the Prison then rest assured that it is NOTHING to be concerned about. I am not aware of any legality that specifically requires a realtor to warn about such a thing.

I worked in a Quarry in N.J. that was in the middle of the woods in Millington N.J. It was a very productive place producing all sizes of stone in order to build Highway's, Buildings, Foundation and Million Dollar Homes after 20 years in the woods blasting and operating nicely once the big league homes went in the problems started just like the Quarry near Fenney. Yet the McMansions needed the stone and concrete that the Quarry made possible with their product. Can't have it both ways.

Cut the Fenney Bashing Out. It is wrong to degrade the people who worked their entire life and then read something negative about the place they chose to enjoy their retirement. The Fenney area may not be for everyone but it is Beautiful and I'm sorry for a report like this from someone who didn't do the homework properly.

Last edited by Nucky; 09-17-2018 at 05:20 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:20 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Federal Penitentiary housing 7000+ inmates!! ...
If you include all the Villagers that are here from the Federal Witness Protection Program the number would be more like 15,000.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:49 PM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656

Another example of Morse family not identifying the issue, similar to the Morse bridge
Old 09-17-2018, 06:14 PM
Platinum member

Corrine Brown is also at Coleman. She was a Florida representative in the US House. Lots of news when she was sentenced.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

///

Last edited by John_W; 09-18-2018 at 03:19 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

I wouldn't be too worried.

An escapee would probably be wanting to immediately blend in and in most of TV, that would be by stealing a golf cart...and driving on one of the plethora of MMP`s.

Since Fenney isn`t connected to any....

Old 09-17-2018, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Moved to Fenney August 10, 2018. Just discovered we are a short walk (2-3 miles as the crow flies, with no natural barriers) from a Federal Penitentiary housing 7000+ inmates!! Why in the world are the Morses building so close to a long established penitentiary?? These are typically great distances outside neighborhoods. This is insane and the stigma alone should impact values in a huge way. Shame on you developers for not notifying us of this.
LOL, I lived in Auburn NY, State Maximum Security prison in the middle, I mean the middle of the city. Almost 1800 Maximum security inmates. I worked there for over 30 years.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjn5656 View Post
Another example of Morse family not identifying the issue, similar to the Morse bridge
Please STOP! Get real
Old 09-17-2018, 08:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,316 Times in 870 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcar View Post
Please STOP! Get real
rjn is stirring the pot......he knows better (I hope)

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 09-17-2018, 08:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
rjn is stirring the pot......he knows better (I hope)
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.