Fenney and Coleman Prison

Closed Thread
Old 09-17-2018, 09:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcar View Post
Please STOP! Get real
O come on, the land around the prison and quarry was probably dirt cheap and beings the obviously don't tell unsuspecting Buyers form out of state and go google eyed and have tingling down the leg from the koolaid blinding sign on dotted line. Now, if someone wasn't made aware would that sneaky practice?
Old 09-17-2018, 09:39 PM

I was intriqued by the references to Whitey Bulger. I found this article on other famous inmates from our neighbor.

However, the most concerning piece of info from the story was not the fact Coleman is the largest federal prison in the US, but that Coleman was once the cabbage capital of the world. I hate cabbage.

Infamous crime bosses, pirates, killers keep company inside Coleman prison - Orlando Sentinel
Old 09-17-2018, 11:51 PM
Bosoxfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Kennedy View Post
Moved to Fenney August 10, 2018. Just discovered we are a short walk (2-3 miles as the crow flies, with no natural barriers) from a Federal Penitentiary housing 7000+ inmates!! Why in the world are the Morses building so close to a long established penitentiary?? These are typically great distances outside neighborhoods. This is insane and the stigma alone should impact values in a huge way. Shame on you developers for not notifying us of this.
You better sell and move before more people find out
Old 09-18-2018, 05:48 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Federal prison in the Bay Area in California is completely surrounded by upper middle class homes. This prison housed maximum security men (the really bad guys), medium security women and a woman’s camp for a long time. It has now changed so that there is no maximum, it is now a holding area for men awaiting trial, sentencing, etc. The county jail is also in the same general area (which, in my opinion, has far greater risks than a federal penitentiary). There was a breakout via helicopter (escapee caught within two weeks). Not only have property values not decreased in Dublin, they have steadily climbed with the rest of the East Bay.

Unless there is a massive breakout or riot, prison proximity really isn’t an issue for property values.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 09-18-2018, 06:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Moved to Fenney August 10, 2018. Just discovered we are a short walk (2-3 miles as the crow flies, with no natural barriers) from a Federal Penitentiary housing 7000+ inmates!! Why in the world are the Morses building so close to a long established penitentiary?? These are typically great distances outside neighborhoods. This is insane and the stigma alone should impact values in a huge way. Shame on you developers for not notifying us of this.
Many people have moved to Fenney and many more will move to Desoto despite efforts of people who are trying to keep people from buying there. New homes cannot be sold by MLS realtors. New homes in Fenney and Desoto can only be sold by the builders agents. We read negative posts repeatedly by those in my opinion who have ulterior motives.

The Villages is the fastest growing area of it's kind in the United States for good reason. All of us who have lived here for awhile know why. It seems too good to be true but it is just that. No one needs to embellish or cover up anything to sell new homes in Fenney.

I don't work for them. They don't need my help. There are 120,000 people who love it here and they talk, talk, talk.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Before we moved to TV in 2011, I came to this website and did searches on just about every subject possible. In the first week I had Investment Painters inside working before the furniture arrived, Tim the Toolman installing attic stairs in the garage and had a deposit on a new Yamaha golf cart.

My point is, if a buyer had come to this site and typed in the search box 'Village of Fenney', on the first page they would of saw this thread from July 2017. A poster had asked "does anyone know how far Fenney is from the federal prison". I remember because I'm the one who put in aerial photos of the prison.

The Village of Fenney?

Here is the photo again;

The Villages Florida
Old 09-18-2018, 09:38 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by samlee2 View Post
I am very hesitant to post this in fear of my property value dropping but did anyone make you aware that you bought a house in lightning alley. There are more lightning strikes between Tampa and Orlando than anywhere else in the U.S.. The most recent account I could find was an average of 2.5 deaths a year in Florida. I could not find one incident of a escaped prisoner killing anyone in Florida. I think I just heard my property value in Desoto hit the floor. Sorry neighbors.
There's lightning in Florida?
Old 09-18-2018, 09:39 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,297 Times in 535 Posts
Default Due diligence

Quote:
OP, it’s imperative to do your homework (due diligence) before purchasing any property. That said, I have a number of friends and acquaintances who lived in only one or two homes their entire lives before purchasing their retirement homes. In short, they had little experence in purchasing property. Sorry you found out, after the fact, that the Coleman Federal Correctional Center is some three miles or so from your residence. However, as others have posted, the prison is highly unlikely to be an issue to you as you enjoy the lifestyle offered here in The Villages or should you later decide to sell.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
There's lightning in Florida?
OMG does that mean it rains here?
Old 09-18-2018, 10:30 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

Fenney is lovely and quietly located, and seems to be pretty popular.

To the person who started this thread:

I bet you will be just fine in Fenney.

I have not been to Fenney since they began the building but when I saw it, I could imagine the potential for a real neighborhood feel, at a nice pace.

May I also say that I am sorry you came under attack for questioning. That happens around here sometimes. The implication of conspiracy theories or jealousy gets trotted out, along with the mocking thrown in, if a poster dares to question the developer on any matter whatsoever.

I have no need to wax sycophantic or to dance in a conga line around the developer. Not that the developer is bad, but this place is a business, and all that entails. But for some reason, people can get a little defensive and seem to take any questioning personally.

We chose TV because it was a place with momentum and things were already in place. We knew that if we decided to sell, at some point, it would be easy enough to do. I see owning a house here like owning stock in a corporation. “The Lifestyle” is like a dividend on the stock. If we see the dividend as cut or decreased, that could be the time to sell. So far, so good.

As an investment, a house in TV feels liquid to us and that is what we wanted in a retirement community. There are other retirement communities that can feel like they are teetering. I do not think TV is teetering and I find that thought freeing.

And as weird as the “governing” of this place is, with something this big, it has to be run corporate style. Otherwise, we would get individuals with small picture agendas and/or a big need to try to control everything — and things would, or could, get ugly as do so many HOAs.

Another thing about questioning — you will also find there are those who bash the POA because that organization has to sometimes work through some issues for the developer to help solve. The POA provides the checks and balances. I happen to like checks and balances. The POA website is poa4us.org where you can find their newsletters. The old ones are archived there. The POA has been around forever. But there are some who think it should go away because the POA sometimes must dare to question the developer. But there are problems that have been solved that way. Actually, it can be a working together to solve issues — like the one with the roof shingles a few years ago.

To make a long story longer — please do not feel like The Lone Ranger when your questions are shown disrespect. The trying to put you “in your place” is predictable. Don’t take it personally. It goes with the territory.

(BUT, then people wonder why regular posts are fewer and fewer around here and we are sometimes left awash in a sea of mostly classifieds.)

Anyway, welcome, OP, and I am serious when I say I think you will be fine in Fenney. I think the slower pace is gaining more appeal, as the mainland gets more and more crowded. Fenney could be seen as a little retreat. Enjoy it!

Sincerely,
Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 09-18-2018 at 10:37 AM.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

There is not a thing wrong with Fenney. Within a couple of years it will be connected to the rest of The Villages. I do not get taken in when someone posts a negative something about a NEW village. Brownwood was waaaaaaay too far, no one would ever go there. Fernandina smelled bad. Our village when it was new was RIGHT ON 466! Who would want to live with the dirt and traffic noise? There will not be golf courses and pools built to keep up in the new area. I wouldn't want to live there. And on and on. This place is not only a good investment, but it is HOME to most of us and we do feel defensive when it is criticized. It is our group, our place, our choice and real people live in all of those areas and they are happy long after the areas stopped being new.

People who buy in The Villages are not entering the housing market new and naïve. Most of us have accrued a lot of knowledge about real estate over time and for most of us, our home is our largest investment. I find it odd to have a first time poster complain that they were hoodwinked by the developer. It makes me skeptical.

It also makes me angry that anyone would try to devalue another's choice of village. Everyone I know thinks they live in the very best place in The Villages. There are real people who have chosen to live in Fenney. They are proud of their choice as they should be. I am proud of our choice. I like Florida in the winter more than Michigan in the winter. I like bean soup better than Hummus. I like the VHA better than the POA. I like the R...……… Really nice things that we have in The Villages.

Last edited by graciegirl; 09-18-2018 at 11:19 AM.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:54 PM

The Prison was on the news last night & this morning.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by papasetti82 View Post
The Prison was on the news last night & this morning.
How so?
bake sale?
Old 09-18-2018, 01:13 PM

The Guards Union was saying they were understaffed and it should be closed down.It will probably be on the news tonight.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Do you know that most of the landscape workers that's mowing your lawn and landscaping your homes come from Mexico, Jamaica and Guatemala. You're worried about prisoners who are locked up behind bars and yet aliens (who knows if they're legal) are cutting your grass right now. That's why I do my own yard work and have lock on my CYV gate.

The Villages Florida
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.