Buying and need help...

Closed Thread
Old 06-21-2011, 05:23 PM
Default Buying and need help...

Hi,
We wrote earlier asking for advice about home sales. Thank you everyone for your insight and advice! Now we are here on our lifestyle visit and are considering buying a new-construction Avondale CYV home. If we buy, we'd like to do some minor remodeling and need some recommendations for people who could do the work. First, we want to replace the laminate with new countertops. Second, and more pressing, we would like to replace the living room sliding doors to the lanai with a solid wall. We are looking for someone reliable to give us a quick estimate on either or both projects before we write out a check. Any advice from The Village experts out there on who we could contact? Thanks!
Old 06-21-2011, 06:16 PM

This a different place in the winter as far as crowds. We are talking it is like a college football weekend EVERY where you go. Everyday!!You have to get to activities at least an hour ahead to get one of the spots. Food spots have hour wait, no place to set on the squares.
We have long time friend who sells real estate here, he says it is like shooting fish in a barrel!! People go hog wild and to quote him "drink the koolade" and spend hundreds of thousands of $$$ just reaching for the happiness. It all comes at price. He tells us to buy in Lake county NO Bond! The new square is on the wildwood border, if you have time take a drive to wildwood,keep your doors locked. They cant wait till these rich folks come to there area to live. tons of housing units near the new square. Not scare you but just be sure to see your final bottom line when you close,,lots of add ons !
Old 06-21-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfield illinois View Post
This a different place in the winter as far as crowds. We are talking it is like a college football weekend EVERY where you go. Everyday!!You have to get to activities at least an hour ahead to get one of the spots. Food spots have hour wait, no place to set on the squares.
We have long time friend who sells real estate here, he says it is like shooting fish in a barrel!! People go hog wild and to quote him "drink the koolade" and spend hundreds of thousands of $$$ just reaching for the happiness. It all comes at price. He tells us to buy in Lake county NO Bond! The new square is on the wildwood border, if you have time take a drive to wildwood,keep your doors locked. They cant wait till these rich folks come to there area to live. tons of housing units near the new square. Not scare you but just be sure to see your final bottom line when you close,,lots of add ons !
I am a little confused (which is not unusual) but what does your post have to do with the first post of someone looking for contracting help?
Also, you said regarding wildwood "they can't wait" could you be more specific as to who "they" are and also what are "they" doing now while they are "waiting"
Old 06-21-2011, 06:44 PM
Gold member

Wow, does it sound to anyone else that the 2nd poster might have a home for sale in Lake County?
Old 06-21-2011, 06:49 PM

Yeah, I'm from (still in) Illinois and i can't even make sense of post #2.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:25 PM
Default My response

First I don't have a house for sale at all...I think not having to pay a bond is great deal, if someone wants to drink the koolade I am ok,but I put a pool in with that $$$
As far as "they" I am speaking of the Folks living in housing projects in wildwood. As far as what they are doing now? Well most are on welfare, most are unemployed,, a great % have drug or booze problem. I did not say 100% had these issues but just take a ride and see for yourself. They are going to be our new neighbors. I bet they will be regulars at the new square (as they dont have jobs) with the free entertainment! I am sure there some wonderful people there I just have not came across them. Maybe the Waltons from Waltons mountain will move to wildwood!
I realize the poster was asking about a contractor, however he also said he was considering buying. I was just giving my personal thoughts on his decision to help him. That is the best thing about this board we all are in this together to help.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:24 AM
Sage

While I agree there's some merit to the purchase of a resale (we looked at quite a few), the important thing is to find a home (and location) that will most serve your needs. I don't see the merit in unsubstantiated wildwood bashing. IMHO, it creates unnecessary location anxiety.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:43 AM
Veteran member

You may want to stop at an area where there is construction of new homes in progress. Ask who is doing the counter tops and the framing or block work. The contractors are all very competent and have been vetted by TV.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:57 AM
Veteran member

We put granite in our CYV last January and we used ARS Granite in Fruitland Park. They did a great job for us. We highly recommend them. http://www.arsgranite.com/

Last edited by OpusX1; 06-22-2011 at 09:00 AM. Reason: add website
Old 06-22-2011, 12:27 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

To reply to the original poster -

Check Munz kitchens on your granite - they do great work. They are in Oxford and not to be confused with Munn's AC folks. They also have contractors on staff so may be able to handle the sliding door replacement.

To the second poster (apology in advance for being snarky)

1. Don't think the difference of a few miles will matter much to the salivating thief-to-be in Wildwood.

2. Check out the crime stats in Lake County - not much difference from Wildwood!

3. Buyers need to compare the total cost of the home with bond. A house without a bond is not necessarily cheaper than a house with one. There are lots of other cost factors that have been listed in this form many times.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:39 PM
Default Thanks!

Thank you everyone for your varying perspectives and advice on who to contact. We bought the home we were considering and couldn't be happier. We ended up contracting the wall work through the general contractor who built out house and will keep the kitchen recommendations in mind when the time comes. As for the bond, we know the money to maintain The Villages as it's current "youthful" self must come from somewhere. We plan to be here for a long time and are happy to contribute our part.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeand Cindi View Post
Thank you everyone for your varying perspectives and advice on who to contact. We bought the home we were considering and couldn't be happier. We ended up contracting the wall work through the general contractor who built out house and will keep the kitchen recommendations in mind when the time comes. As for the bond, we know the money to maintain The Villages as it's current "youthful" self must come from somewhere. We plan to be here for a long time and are happy to contribute our part.
I'm happy you found a place that felt like "home".
Old 06-24-2011, 03:45 PM
Veteran member

I am sorry, but I just have to say it. I don't understand to have to buy in Lake County because there is no bond. Just take the size of the bond and add it to the sales price on your Sumter County home and you have the real sales price. How is that hard to understand? The bond is not a boogie man, just part of the sales price.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeand Cindi View Post
George and Cindi,

That's wonderful news. And, I love your civic-mindedness.

And, for you.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by katezbox View Post
To reply to the original poster -

To the second poster (apology in advance for being snarky)

1. Don't think the difference of a few miles will matter much to the salivating thief-to-be in Wildwood.

2. Check out the crime stats in Lake County - not much difference from Wildwood!

3. Buyers need to compare the total cost of the home with bond. A house without a bond is not necessarily cheaper than a house with one. There are lots of other cost factors that have been listed in this form many times.

And it all needed saying.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.