First Post

Closed Thread
Old 03-27-2008, 11:57 PM
Platinum member
Default First Post

Hi Everybody,
This is my first post. (Although it might actually be my 2nd because I wrote this once, but it disappeared while I was using spell-check. I probably shouldn't have used the back button. If this shows up twice, that's why.)

We visited the Villages in December, and we can't wait for the BIG MOVE! We live in Utah, so the logistics of moving to Florida are daunting, to say the least.

Meanwhile, I have enjoyed reading all the wonderful posts at this website! I feel as if I already know many of you, and I hope somebody can help me...

When I registered at this website I think I logged on "forever." That's just fine with me, and as long as I use this computer in the basement everything works great. Upstairs is another story. I have no idea what password I registered. I've tried everything, but I can't get logged on while using the laptop.

The Welcome message on the home page says:

"If you have forgotten your password, simply ask for a password reminder on the home page.

See you all here.

Best Regards Your Administrators

Jan, Darrel, Tony"

I have searched and searched the home page, but I can't find WHERE to ask for the password reminder. I'm sure it's obvious to everybody else, but I can't seem to find it. I don't want to change my password if I don't have to. This basement computer logs me in automatically, and that's perfect, but I would like to share TOTV with my husband on the laptop at the kitchen table -- if that's possible.

Thanks for any advice, and thanks to all of you for your wonderful insight on the Villages!
Judy in Utah
PS: No spell-check for this posting!
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 03-28-2008, 12:29 AM
Administrator
Default Re: First Post

At the top of the login window is a pink box, or bar.
The word login is there.
Click that.

You will get a dialogue box to log in.
At the bottom of the box is a link to click for password reminder.
Click that and follow through.

Also, it would be better to have your husband open his own account here. Then his posts will be identified with his name.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:31 AM
Founder

Hi Judy

Welcome to Talk of The Villages. We are please to have you.

It is easy to find the Password reminder. All you have to do is enter the wrong password. A box will pop up and at the bottom of that box it will say "forgot your password?" It's that easy.

Again welcome. Come often and post often.
Jan, Darrel and Tony
Administrators
Old 03-28-2008, 12:32 AM
Founder

Do you get the impression that Tony and I live for this board?
Old 03-28-2008, 01:10 AM
Platinum member

Thanks Tony and Talk Host!
I'll run upstairs and wrest the laptop away from my husband so I can try your remedy. I don't have "login" on this computer, because I did something right when I first signed up. I just type in the web address and voila! I'm automatically connected! I don't need a password. The only option I have on this computer is "logout," and I don't EVER click on that!
Thanks so much for your speedy reply,
Judy in Utah
PS: Yes, I did get the impression that you two live for these boards! When do you find time to participate in all the Villages activities?
PPS: We had another inch of snow this morning cold_cold
Bossier City, Louisiana
The Villages, Florida
Old 03-28-2008, 02:49 AM
Platinum member

I'm embarrassed. :redface: I ran upstairs to try your tricks on the laptop, and this time my password actually worked! I'm typing on the laptop even as we speak!
Whatever you did, thanks so much!
Judy in Utah
Bossier City, Louisiana
The Villages, Florida
Old 03-28-2008, 03:53 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Hi Judy ... Welcome to TOTV and TV when you get here. I moved from California with a 20 year old and 3 cats, so I know exactly how you feel. If I had it to all over again, I would have left about 95% of what I brought with me but for my kitchen some of the stuff from my kitchen (my beloved Cuisinarts, coffee maker and special utencils), my art and things that were truly special to me and only half my wardrobe. It really is easy to replace what you need here plus the furniture from out west just doesn't seem to fit the Florida lifestyle or decor. You'll end up spending about the same amount in shipping as you would in replacing once here.

One thing I'm sure of is you won't regret moving here. It ain't perfect, but it don't need fixin', either!

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 03-28-2008, 04:00 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

uujudy,

Welcome and please do not be embarrassed. I cannot begin to tell you how many times I have not been able to figure out what I am doing when trying to post.

In the beginning I had no idea how to edit anything, and I could only stare helplessly at my glaring typos after I had sent them on their way.

One evening I just threw myself on the mercy of the board. I felt like that woman in that Tennessee Williams play or whatever it was who said, "I have always depended on the kindness of strangers." (You have to read that line aloud with a deep southern accent to get the full effect.) - oh and btw, I digress here often.

The people here on TOTV are indeed kind strangers. They led me through it. Who knew that "modify" is a synonym for "edit"? And I also found out how to delete something that I could no longer live with.

I also know what you mean about losing stuff. Not too long ago, I wrote a post here about "The Evil Mouse" asking others if they ever had the same problem with making one false move and losing everything. Be careful with "Preview" because it can be pretty intolerant of being clicked on. Oh, and btw, "Preview" is up at the top of all those little faces and things. I could not find it for the longest time. And I still don't know what some of those little pictures up there mean.

But I have managed to muddle through and have posted far too many times. I have never been on a board before. But the winter here has been long and dreary and cold and snowy. And my computer is in my kitchen. I pass by it too often.

So anyway, you will be just fine here. And please, ask away.

Boomer
Old 03-28-2008, 04:36 AM
JohnnyM

Hi Judy in Utah, good to have you as a TOTV peep (person). Sounds like you will fit in great with this crowd. Again, JohnnyM
Old 03-28-2008, 11:42 AM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to Donna Send a message via Yahoo to Donna

Hello Judy,

"Some People Live An Entire Lifetime and Wonder If They Have Ever Made a Difference In The World,
The Marines Don't Have That Problem" "Semper Fi"

"Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous" Albert Einstein
Old 04-01-2008, 08:18 PM
Platinum member

Hi to Redwitch, Boomer, Johnny & Donna,

Thanks to all of you for your warm welcome!

Depending on the kindness of strangers,
Judy in Utah
Bossier City, Louisiana
The Villages, Florida
Old 04-03-2008, 02:03 PM
mcelheny

Welcome uujudy! You will love it here.
My husband still has snow in Fredonia in upstate NY.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uujudy
Thanks Tony and Talk Host!
I'll run upstairs and wrest the laptop away from my husband so I can try your remedy. I don't have "login" on this computer, because I did something right when I first signed up. I just type in the web address and voila! I'm automatically connected! I don't need a password. The only option I have on this computer is "logout," and I don't EVER click on that!
Thanks so much for your speedy reply,
Judy in Utah
PS: Yes, I did get the impression that you two live for these boards! When do you find time to participate in all the Villages activities?
PPS: We had another inch of snow this morning cold_cold
well Judy, as you can see from my patio , 1 inch of snow would have been fine with me!!! LOL

PS_ This was taken in February
Old 04-07-2008, 04:28 AM
Platinum member

Well Moose, our photo is what our patio looked like when we returned home from our visit to the Villages. We came home just in time to shovel our roof so it didn't collapse. You don't happen to live in Utah, do you? We have a winter storm warning for tonight through tomorrow, with a stronger storm coming on Wednesday!

Mcelheny, where, exactly is Fredonia? My daughter graduated from RPI in Troy! Small world!
cold_cold
Oh, I can't wait to be a Village Person! You Forum Folks are great! wav
Bossier City, Louisiana
The Villages, Florida
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.