First visit - Is 3 days long enough?

Closed Thread
Old 02-10-2011, 08:13 PM
Default 3 day visit

Thanks for the useful input. I should have given more information, I am still 4-5 years from retirement and am basically doing my due diligence concerning where I would like to retire. I just really want to get a feel for the place.

Did a visit last fall to the Village at Deaton Creek which is a Sun City development in north Georgia and it really didn't grab me as a place to retire. There were only 2 activities over the weekend, one was pickleball which had a total of 3 teams with 4 players each and a tailgate party. At the tailgate party at the rec center the Georgia Bulldogs were playing the Colorado Buffaloes. We showed up and there were 5 people there who were all very nice but if thats all thats going on I might as well not even move as I can scare up more activity than that where I'm currently living.

It's funny, virtually everyone there had visited or heard of The Villages and that was the standard of reference for all 55+ communities that everyone talked about. Somebody there told me about 2/3 of the residents at Deaton Creek were there because of proximity to children and grandchildren.

I understand that the LSP's get more expensive as one comes back for several visits but have decided to try off season as opposed to coming for the first visit during Febuary which would probally be too crowded to get familiar with the place.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:36 PM

Probably too short but then again I visited TV for dinner and lunch and bought my current home on the Internet 6 months later. I am estimating that I spent about 8 hours here.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Vickers View Post
I understand that the LSP's get more expensive as one comes back for several visits but have decided to try off season as opposed to coming for the first visit during Febuary which would probally be too crowded to get familiar with the place.
If you come during the off-season and don't want to use the Lifestyle thing, you should have no trouble finding a house to rent in TV. That time of year, many will even rent by the day.

Another option would be to stay at one of the local hotels that are attached/accessible to TV. Obviously, you can stay at one of those for whatever length of time you'd want, even in-season. But you'd need to make your reservation for in-season well in advance.

In either case, you'd want to make sure you get a golf cart - perhaps included in the deal with the rental house or they can be rented from any one of a number of sources. Make sure that if you choose to go the hotel route, it's golf cart accessible from TV.

I feel there's definite value in coming to look around in-season as well. It would give you a perspective of how things are during the winter months.

Bill
Old 02-11-2011, 06:04 AM
Veteran member

My first visit was 4 days with relatives in Hadley. I knew by the second day that I wanted to live here. Went home, did a lot of research on the Internet, arranged a pre-approved mortgage, returned 4 months later for a month in a rented house and had bought and closed on a house before the month was up.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:45 AM
Veteran member

3 days is better than no days. Come on down and enjoy. We bought our house after 2 days.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Three days are long enough to fall in love. You might need more time to get married.

As in any marriage you must take your head out of the clouds and look around clearly before you commit.

You will be living among a LOT of old people. The paper is slanted Republican. There are a good many people smiling at you all of the time and waving. If you buy here, the people living around you are going to invite you to parties and to play golf and bridge and Mahjongg and shuffleboard and bocce and exercise class and to walk with them and to supper and to meet their family and for dang sure they are going to tell you that their grandchildren are the prettiest and smartest in the world.

If you can handle that, come down. It isn't likely that you will ever leave us in your heart, once you are here.

Welcome.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:49 PM
Default start with three days

My wife and I started with a three day Lifestyle visit. We were visiting other retirement communities after that and my wife didn't want to leave. We have been twice since and are now looking for a lot. Definitely come and look. If it a fit, then you'll know.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
Richard - Welcome to TOTV!!!! You'll probably find that ANY visit will seem too short. But the nice thing is, given that you're from GA, it's not a real long drive to come down to TV again..........and again..........and again..........

Many people find their first visit to be a bit overwhelming - soooo much to see and do. It's almost too much to take in. We felt that way. We made a series of trips over a couple of years to try to get more familiar, comfortable, and knowledgeable with TV. Some stays were short, some were longer. Worked for us!!

Regardless of the time you have available for a first trip, you'll enjoy it!

Again, welcome!

Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
Hi Richard,
Welcome my fellow Georgian to TOTV! I agree with Bill completely. If you can only get away for three days, it's worth coming down for a visit.

If LSV's are still available for that short a time frame, it would be ideal to sign up for one since it includes some freebies. Here are some other suggestions.

• Download a copy of The Recreation News before you come to get an idea of the events, clubs and activities available. They come out every Thursday, so pick up a copy of the current issue when you come down.
  • Order the $5 Villages map before you come to help you orient. You can order it from here.
  • Take the free Trolley Tour that starts from the Lake Sumter Sales office. You'll get a good "big picture" overview.
  • Be sure to visit both town squares. Go to at least one of them between 5-9 p.m. when there is live entertainment.
  • Check out a few of the Regional and Neighborhood Recreation Centers. They all have similar amenities, but each has it's own themed decor and charm.
  • I don't think I would look at houses to purchase the first time on such a short trip. Too much to see. However, do drive around and look at neighborhoods both north and south of Highway 466. The older neighborhoods are north. Landscaping is more mature and many of the homes are further apart. The south side features newer homes. Be sure to visit areas around St. James, St. Charles, etc. where the newest homes are being built.
  • Drink the ... oh nevermind. Have a great time.
If you have more questions in the meantime, just ask us on TOTV. And please keep us posted about your trip!
Pturner
Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Three days are long enough to fall in love. You might need more time to get married.

As in any marriage you must take your head out of the clouds and look around clearly before you commit.

You will be living among a LOT of old people. The paper is slanted Republican. There are a good many people smiling at you all of the time and waving. If you buy here, the people living around you are going to invite you to parties and to play golf and bridge and Mahjongg and shuffleboard and bocce and exercise class and to walk with them and to supper and to meet their family and for dang sure they are going to tell you that their grandchildren are the prettiest and smartest in the world.

If you can handle that, come down. It isn't likely that you will ever leave us in your heart, once you are here.

Welcome.
Richard:

Great advice from three very nice and bright members.

Enjoy your visit as the time will fly by. So much to do and activities to choose from. I hope it's the first of many.

You will fall in love with TV and it's friendly people.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Vickers View Post
My wife and I are thinking about coming down for Labor Day weekend. We live in Georgia and could drive down on Thursday nite, stay Fri, Sat & Sunday and go back on Monday. Is this too short for the first visit?
Welcome from your "Alabama neighbor". Our first visit was only over a weekend as we were on the way to a meeting in Orlando. Some friends had just moved there and gave us the "cook's tour". We stayed in a nearby motel, did the trolley tour and visited the squares. WE WERE HOOKED!! There was no need to visit or look for some place to retire. If TV isn't paradise, you can darn sure see it from there.

On subsequent visits (6), after the LSP, we rented from an owner and had use of their golf cart, etc. We got the resident passes so we could experience a brief taste of what living there felt like. Plus we paid resident's rates at the championship courses. If you don't love TV, then you don't want an active lifestyle in retirement; you don't want to be around amazingly friendly people who welcome you with open arms; you don't want to live in a clean, orderly, well kept community; you don't want to experience polo (which is a real treat for us "rednecks"). Well, I could go on and on, but you can pretty much guess this Bama fan is definitely moving to TV!!!! Hopefully within a year.

So yes, 3 days will be enough to give you a good preview of "coming attractions"!!!
Old 05-28-2011, 05:39 AM

I did the Lifestyle Preview in April after researching TV via the internet and DVD. Spent six days. After the last winter in Ohio I was ready for "sunshine", especially with family in Orlando. I came down with a set frame of mind: If TV was half of what it appeared to be, I was coming! Needless to say, I am currently building in St. James and leave two weeks today. I took advantage of the discount coupon book and although I spent a good amount of time with my sales agent, I got enough "flavor" of the lifestyle and amenities to make my decision. I think the time of six days was perfect for me, you are either hooked or not after a few days. Normally on a "vacation" I'm ready to leave before the last day...not this time!
Old 05-28-2011, 03:15 PM
Sage

Woke up in the AM in the Holiday Inn Express on 441, went to LSL for the trolly ride, had dinner at Havana, then visited both squares. After that I knew where I wanted to retire and did a year later.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.