First Visit Impressions

Closed Thread
Old 04-27-2015, 07:46 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLBell View Post
Well, we recently spent another week in Florida checking out several active retirement communities. At the end, we were so convinced of The Villages that we called back to the realtor we'd talked to and started the process of buying one of the houses we had toured on an open house. It'll still be a coupe of years before we can retire and move there (we may have to find some renters in the meantime), but at least now we've got a house waiting for us when we're ready.

And we never did manage to try the "lifestyle preview visit"!
Jerry, this is exactly what we did. PM me if you would like to speak to someone about managing your property. The lady that handled ours was very good about finding good renters. Was less expensive that the reality companies.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,563 Times in 509 Posts

We knew 20 minutes after we arrived, it was where we wanted to be. We had visited AZ. numerous times but got concerned with the water/drought situation out West. We bought a lot on a golf course in Bella Vista, AR about 5 years ago to build our retirement home, but came to the realization that there was nothing else to do besides play golf, and I mean NOTHING; sold the lot last month.

Our Seabreeze cottage we bought was about 1k sq. ft. and $12k less than our KC home. The yard in KC took 3 hrs. total to trim and mow; our yard in TV will take about 45 minutes. My wife retired 2/28 and we moved her and her Mom (who resides in Providence Independent Living) to TV the same day; after a 34 year career, my wife is like a totally new person with everything she has to do here and the super-friendly people she has become acquainted with; she is really relaxed. I really look forward to being there full time at the end of May.

Is TV perfect? No, but it's the closest to perfection to every place we've lived or visited. Out of 10, probably a 9.9.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spd2918 View Post
Hi all!

This is my first post. I am researching retirement communities with my wife. In 8 long years I will retire and my wife will keep working from her home office.

We visited last week and I'd like to share with you my (and my wife's) first impressions of your community:

Wow are your streets clean. We knew exactly when we were outside and inside "the bubble" due to the cleanliness. It is clear you and the management take great care in how the streets look.

I love the golf cars. I'm a kid at heart and love the idea of getting around in carts. I might need to learn how to golf.

The lot sizes seem a little small, and your money does not buy much house. We are looking to downsize, but we were a little surprised how far our money won't go. For a used $175K 1200 foot house we were expecting better surfaces and updates.

We ate in Sumter Square and found the restaurants were expensive for what we got. I know this is a planned community, but why can't there be more reasonably priced places to eat? It would be wonderful if there were non-chain restaurants.

Lisa and I were blown away by all the things to do! It is hard to imagine being bored with all the clubs and activities. This place completely fits our requirement for activity.

How do my impressions stack up with your reality?

Brad
I bought in March & agree with all you've pointed out. When I first thought about buying it was because of the activities, the weather (-25 where we are this winter!) and the ease of using a golf cart.

What I've realized after reading all these posts is the thing that matters most to me is the friendliness & positive outlook of almost everyone we've met in The Villages. To me, this is the most valuable thing we found. Certainly don't find that where we came from!

Northeast Ohio, Northern California, including Santa Cruz, Oakland Hills, East Bay, Stockton and Merced and now The Villages
Old 04-28-2015, 08:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulat585 View Post
I bought in March & agree with all you've pointed out. When I first thought about buying it was because of the activities, the weather (-25 where we are this winter!) and the ease of using a golf cart.

What I've realized after reading all these posts is the thing that matters most to me is the friendliness & positive outlook of almost everyone we've met in The Villages. To me, this is the most valuable thing we found. Certainly don't find that where we came from!

Welsome to the forum Paula. I can tell already you will be happy here.

Hugs and kind wishes.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:55 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by spd2918 View Post
Hi all!

This is my first post. I am researching retirement communities with my wife. In 8 long years I will retire and my wife will keep working from her home office.
We visited last week and I'd like to share with you my (and my wife's) first impressions of your community:
Wow are your streets clean. We knew exactly when we were outside and inside "the bubble" due to the cleanliness. It is clear you and the management take great care in how the streets look.
I love the golf cars. I'm a kid at heart and love the idea of getting around in carts. I might need to learn how to golf.
The lot sizes seem a little small, and your money does not buy much house. We are looking to downsize, but we were a little surprised how far our money won't go. For a used $175K 1200 foot house we were expecting better surfaces and updates.
We ate in Sumter Square and found the restaurants were expensive for what we got. I know this is a planned community, but why can't there be more reasonably priced places to eat? It would be wonderful if there were non-chain restaurants.
Lisa and I were blown away by all the things to do! It is hard to imagine being bored with all the clubs and activities. This place completely fits our requirement for activity.
How do my impressions stack up with your reality?

Brad
Your impressions are spot on for the most part.
1. Call off your search as you will never find a retirement community better than TV. It's not perfect but darn close!!!
The myriad of activities and it's friendly people will help you to live longer.
2. It is kept pristine and you don't have to shovel sunshine!!!
3. Golf carts are a very nice way to get around this community with over 90/100 miles of golf cart trails!
4. You may get more house for your money with surrounding communities but you will not have the lifestyle, TV offers. You probably won't spend much time in your home anyway, if you want to be active!
5. Costs are reasonable for feeling like your living like a millionaire. It's all depends on what part of the country one comes from. Taxes are so much less than most places.
6. You won't have any or many gourmet dinning experiences but the food is acceptable and if one wants great food, one needs to cook at home to their own standards. Some places are more reasonable than others.
7. If one is bored in TV, it's their own fault as you won't find another place with as many activities as TV.

Keep in mind as you get older and prefer a really big house, you won't jump out of bed and say, "boy, I am looking forward to cleaning this big house again!!! I know I don't.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 05-11-2015, 12:06 AM
Platinum member

It must be hard when the housing costs you're coming from are lower
then here.

The Villages is everything people have posted. Clean, fun,
Tons of activities, and fairly safe.
There isn't another community that even comes close.

We were fortunate that we lived in Tampa before moving here
so it wasn't a big change. After 18 years I still don't like
Summer but I would NEVER move back north.

You won't have to have different seasonal clothing (no boots,
Heavy coats, gloves or SNOW!) You won't have high heating
bills.

The lifestyle in T.V. Is wonderful. You won't regret moving here.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patfla06 View Post
It must be hard when the housing costs you're coming from are lower
then here.

The Villages is everything people have posted. Clean, fun,
Tons of activities, and fairly safe.
There isn't another community that even comes close.

We were fortunate that we lived in Tampa before moving here
so it wasn't a big change. After 18 years I still don't like
Summer but I would NEVER move back north.

You won't have to have different seasonal clothing (no boots,
Heavy coats, gloves or SNOW!) You won't have high heating
bills.

The lifestyle in T.V. Is wonderful. You won't regret moving here.
I agree. And the amount of time you will have to spend indoors out of the heat is nothing compared to the amount of time you have to spend trying to stay warm up north. Our son says don't worry; if we become invalids, he will move down from Michigan to take care of us! So we're never going back.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:13 PM

We have dear friends who have wintered in their home in the villages since 2004. We came down to look things over for ourselves in July 2013. It was everything they had described.

We are finally ready to take the plunge and will put our home on the market June 1. I confess...It is a bit disheartening that we will sell our 2700 sq. ft home on 10 acres in Missouri and spend every penny we get to purchase a 2000 sq. ft. home in the villages on a postage stamp sized yard. We understand that we will be purchasing a lifestyle...but i confess it seems a bit exuberant. It is what we want...so we will bite the bullet...and i guess that is what most people do since they sell 300 homes a month.

We hope the house sells quickly and we can be settled in the villages by the end of the year.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

I do know what you are feeling. We went from a three-story condo on Lake Michigan to having a wall behind us and a house in front of us.

But do know that if you end up not liking the lifestyle (which I doubt), you have made a non-risky investment that you will not lose money on if you decide to move on. You'll just have to pack again!

Good luck on the sale of your home. Don't forget to bury a statue of St. Joseph upside-down in your yard. Works like a charm.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathyandSteveG View Post
We have dear friends who have wintered in their home in the villages since 2004. We came down to look things over for ourselves in July 2013. It was everything they had described.

We are finally ready to take the plunge and will put our home on the market June 1. I confess...It is a bit disheartening that we will sell our 2700 sq. ft home on 10 acres in Missouri and spend every penny we get to purchase a 2000 sq. ft. home in the villages on a postage stamp sized yard. We understand that we will be purchasing a lifestyle...but i confess it seems a bit exuberant. It is what we want...so we will bite the bullet...and i guess that is what most people do since they sell 300 homes a month.

We hope the house sells quickly and we can be settled in the villages by the end of the year.

I hope your home sells very quickly. Don't feel uncomfortable about downsizing. Most of us have done that to be here. We downsized from more than 12 rooms to a designer home. We donated 5 rooms of furniture to a charity - and still came to TV with too much. You will love it here without all the "stuff" you've accumulated.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:25 PM

we will certainly bury a St. Joseph! lol

I look around this house and think what am i going to do with all this? We have 12 10 rooms and a finished basement ...so i get a little overwhelmed thinking of all the things i have to give away.

I truly believe we will love it in TV...once we get this show on the road.

Thank you for your best wishes and keep your fingers crossed for us!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.