First visit to The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 06-26-2011, 09:27 AM
Sage

Since you are only there for 2 days it will be tough to do some of the great activities mentioned by others.

But you can 'look'. What I mean is look around at the centers and see the number of people enjoying things like Pickleball, swimming laps, playing water volleyball, walking around their block for exercise, biking, golfing, line dancing in the square, etc. etc. Best way to do this is to rent a golf cart and just drive.

You'll get a feel for the place and see if it is somewhere you'd enjoying being a part of.

Good luck!
Old 06-26-2011, 09:48 AM

Do like we did. Get lost. It's a wonderful place to just to roam around.

When you do need to get somewhere (open house, golf, dining, etc.) the $5 dollar map was the best resource aside from other villagers. We really enjoyed the free entertainment at the town squares.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:02 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
Since you are only there for 2 days it will be tough to do some of the great activities mentioned by others.

But you can 'look'. What I mean is look around at the centers and see the number of people enjoying things like Pickleball, swimming laps, playing water volleyball, walking around their block for exercise, biking, golfing, line dancing in the square, etc. etc. Best way to do this is to rent a golf cart and just drive.

You'll get a feel for the place and see if it is somewhere you'd enjoying being a part of.

Good luck!
Ditto........given that you've only got 2 days. And take the trolley ride!

Bill
Old 06-26-2011, 12:45 PM
Platinum member

Be sure to visit some of the Regional Recreation Centers (Laurel Manor, Lake Miona, and Colony Cottage for example) and enjoy their unique decor.
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 06-26-2011, 12:53 PM
Gold member

Thank you to everyone that took the time to respond.. Actually, we will be there for 5 days so hopefully we will get to do all (or most) of the things you have suggested. I am getting so excited! We have both lived in Michigan our entire lives...in the Metro Detroit area. Our plans are to sell our house (right now, he's under the kitchen sink replacing the faucet while his helpful wife is playing on the computer!)..once the house sells, we will rent an apartment for a while until his business gets sold...then, hopefully...TV! Again, thank you.

Trish
Old 06-26-2011, 01:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish Crocker View Post
Thank you to everyone that took the time to respond.. Actually, we will be there for 5 days so hopefully we will get to do all (or most) of the things you have suggested. I am getting so excited! We have both lived in Michigan our entire lives...in the Metro Detroit area. Our plans are to sell our house (right now, he's under the kitchen sink replacing the faucet while his helpful wife is playing on the computer!)..once the house sells, we will rent an apartment for a while until his business gets sold...then, hopefully...TV! Again, thank you.

Trish
A journey of a thousand miles to TV begins with the first faucet replacement.

We are slogging there ourselves. Good Luck!!
Old 06-26-2011, 01:30 PM
Gold member

Too funny....thinking you're probably the first I want to meet!
Old 06-26-2011, 01:41 PM
Veteran member

Trish,
I realize you will only be in The Villages for 5 days but just to let you know of things to do when you are here longer.

The Villages is only a 90 minute drive to the Atlantic Ocean and a 90 minute drive to the Gulf side. My wife and I and another couple have "beach days" a couple times a month for day trips to the beach. Just great.

We also go kayaking with Discovery Kayak Tours about one time a month. We are going on the spring fed Rainbow River in July.

Lots of great things to see and do. Your first priority is to find a perfect house. May I suggest looking at resales as well as new? Tell your Villages agent there are some Lantana models on Talley Ridge Drive you would like to see. Trust me, they are very nice - and have only about a $2500 bond compared to around $25,000 for a new house. These are for sale by Villages properties so a Villages agent can show them. If a house is listed with MLS, the Villages agent cannot show them and vice versa.

Resales are usually a good deal because you can negotiate price with the seller and you cannot do that on a new house. Bond is much lower. No construction going on around you. Mature landscaping. You may find upgrades already in place instead of buying them later.

Just a couple more things to think about. Anyhow, you will love it no matter where you buy in The Villages.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:00 PM
Gold member

Below are some things that I have posted before when this subject has come up.

1. The best nights at Lake Sumter Landing are Tuesday and Thursday. These are the nights of the best entertainment and the Vendors are there those nights that is why they have the best entertainment.

2. The best nights at Spanish Springs are Monday and Wednesday. These are the nights of the best entertainment and the Vendors are there those nights that is why they have the best entertainment.

3. To me the best night at Katie Belles is Monday night. You need to make reservations so check with your host to find out how to do this. By far one of the best shows in The Villages and is a must. Also there is a good show on Wednesday night as well. Won't hurt to catch both.

4. If you have not been here before first thing is take a trolley ride to get a feel for the place. Then get a good map that shows the golf cart paths. Use your golf cart that is what this place is all about.

5. As you use your golf cart remember do not cross or drive on a 4 lane road it is against the law and you could get a ticket not to mention the danger. If you find yourself in this situation stop and go back where you came from and look at all of the other carts and see where they are going and adjust you route. When in doubt pull out a map and look lost within 30 seconds you will be offered help. The Villages sales offices have a great free map for the asking. Just ask for the General Area Map. It shows the Golf Cart Transportation Trails and all of the main roads as well as retail store locations.

6. If you are playing golf have your host schedule you on Palmer and be sure you play Riley Grove. When you see the videos you can say I was right there.

7. See what shows are at the Savannah Center and ask your host to make reservations for you if it is not sold out The Villages may comp you great seats. You have to ask!

8. Urban Flats has entertainment & dancing inside most nights. RJ Gators has great Karaoke & dancing on Wednesday and Saturday nights starting around 8:30 however you need to get there early to get a good seat. The Light House has entertainment many nights a week.

9. If you want to play golf other than the freebees that The villages offer simply call the courses after 6:45 AM on the day of play and ask about open tee times. They will set you up and you will pay the rate of a Villages Resident. Drop by any Pro Shop and they can supply you with phone numbers or check out The Villages Phone Book. Same for the Executive courses but don't waste your voucher on an Executive Course if you play both use the voucher on the Championship Course and pay for the Executive course.

10. Happy Hours at Cane Garden and Arnold Palmer start at 3:00 PM and are great prices. Cane Garden happy hour is done at 5:00 PM I think Palmer runs a little later but someone else may help us out there. Mallory Hill also has a good happy hour that runs till 6:00PM. Mallory has good Pizza. The Country Clubs are great to eat and drink at and are not expensive.

11. Be sure and look for the open houses in the daily paper and get in your golf cart and go out and see them. Be sure and notice the times as some are open in the AM then some in the PM.

Hope this helps and enjoy your visit.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:15 PM

Hello Everyone, My husband and I will also be down visting the week of July 9th. We will be at our timeshare in Orlando so we will be visiting on day trips. Are there any days during that time where special activities are planned? We will definatly do the trolley tour and the town squares. Any other imput would be great this will be our first time. Thanks, Cathy
Old 06-26-2011, 06:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
The Villages is the only place I know, where the reality of a visit far exceeds the marketing hype you get before coming here.
So true!

Trish and Somen, Welcome! Here are my 3 cents:
  1. Do or see as much as you can of what has been suggested. The Kool refreshing drink served here comes in more flavors than you can sample!
  2. Bring your checkbook, because...
  3. The chances of you getting it out of your system are on par with your grandma gettin' run over by a reindeer.
Have a great trip.
P

p.s., buy a house in Springdale. We'll be neighbors.

Last edited by Pturner; 06-26-2011 at 06:33 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-26-2011, 06:21 PM
Gold member

Pturner is right. Bring a checkbook. When we went, I was SHOCKED that hubby would even consider living in such a place. He likes the open land we have here in NM and grumbled about how close the houses are to each other. Well, we got there, drove around in the golf cart a bit, met our sales agent, looked at about 8 houses and then she took us to a new CourtYard Villa neighborhood (we have dogs who rule our lives and really had to have a fence). We were there 5 mintues when hubby said, Honey, good thing you brought a check book. I was again SHOCKED. I asked ARE YOU SURE? He said yes because it was my turn to pick where we live and where I would be happier. DONE deal in less then 48 hours. And my story is not that unusual. You will love it here, it is beautiful, there is so much to do, most of the people we met were wonderful and helpful and there are so many restaurants and stores (where we are if you can not buy it at walmart, you don't get it).
Old 06-26-2011, 06:30 PM
Sage

Yes, always have your checkbook at the ready, especially during those 'Oh-we're-just-looking-around' visits. Kinda like the old American Express slogan: "Don't leave home without it!!!"

Bill
Old 06-26-2011, 06:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladydoc View Post
Pturner is right. Bring a checkbook. When we went, I was SHOCKED that hubby would even consider living in such a place. He likes the open land we have here in NM and grumbled about how close the houses are to each other. Well, we got there, drove around in the golf cart a bit, met our sales agent, looked at about 8 houses and then she took us to a new CourtYard Villa neighborhood (we have dogs who rule our lives and really had to have a fence). We were there 5 mintues when hubby said, Honey, good thing you brought a check book. I was again SHOCKED. I asked ARE YOU SURE? He said yes because it was my turn to pick where we live and where I would be happier. DONE deal in less then 48 hours. And my story is not that unusual. You will love it here, it is beautiful, there is so much to do, most of the people we met were wonderful and helpful and there are so many restaurants and stores (where we are if you can not buy it at walmart, you don't get it).

Ladydoc:

Great post. It made my eyes mist on how much I wanted this to happen to me.

Trish:

Personally I would definitely take the trolley ride and go to Katie Belle's on Monday to see Donna Moore. I am biased as I love her singing voice. Reservations may be needed.

Pick what you and hubs like to do and enjoy your time there as time will fly by.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish Crocker View Post

Trish
Bring good sunscreen if you will be outside a lot. I believe the sun in Florida is more powerful than in Michigan. A golf cap or sun visor is also a good idea. I will have all 3 with me next month. Enjoy, enjoy!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.