First visit to The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 06-25-2011, 09:20 PM
Gold member
Default First visit to The Villages

My husband and I are coming down July 4th for 5 days....we will either decide to move there or get it out of my system!! Does anyone have any pointers as to what we should do for the few days that we are there. My husband does golf (and I'm planning to learn) but we won't be bringing any clubs with us. Thanks and looking forward to getting there!!!
Old 06-25-2011, 09:45 PM

First- let me welcome you to TOTV and to TV. I would definitely encourage you to take the trolley ride. It is free and gives you a quick, big picture view of the villages. I would also encourage you to purchase the $5 map at the visitor center. It will help you get where you are going and when you are lost and trying to figure out how to get there, it serves as a lure to bring friendly villagers to your aid I would also encourage you to visit the town squares in the evening and try to get to Katie Bells in Spanish Springs for dinner. Do you have a favorite activity? Ask your realtor to help you attend. If you ilke dancing, there are several great classes or opportunities, ditto line dancing. Take some time to visit one of the many pools and just relax. Go to open houses to get an idea of different house choices and definitely take your golf cart out and just drive around.

Most of all, enjoy your visit.

I'm sure that other more sage members will give you lots of additional advice.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:06 PM
Gold member

Cheryl, thank you soo much for the info and i will definitely take your advice.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:16 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default Welcome

*If you do not bring clubs, they can be rented at some of the country Clubs for $7.50 for 9 holes.
*Golfing at the CCS is only $6.00 after 6:00 PM. It has cooled down by then also.
* We have many good restaurants and clubs around the Villages.
*Don't forget swimming.
*Be sure to either rent a cart or see that it is included in the rental of the unit you are in so you can get the experience of crusing around the town.

There is not a time that I go out socially that I do not Thank God for the chance to live here.

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 06-25-2011, 10:18 PM
Default I'm betting

I'm betting that you are not going to get it out of your system. It's a very great place to be!

From Liberty, MO
Old 06-25-2011, 11:08 PM
Sage
Default Welcome to TOTV

Trish,

I'm seconding all of the above recommendations. FYI: the trolley tour leaves from the TV sales center in Lake Sumter Landing and takes about 45 minutes. I took it last year when I was in TV for the first time. I will be in TV from July 6-14, so we may see each other lost on one of the golf cart trails.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:59 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via MSN to Bryan

You will be here on a Thursday so be sure to get our newspaper, The Villages Daily Sun, on that date. Each Thursday there is a weekly supplement called the Rec Center News. It lists all activities at each rec center for the coming week, pool hours, etc. In addition, it lists all the clubs and activities in TV. Keep that supplement and take it home to look over at your leisure. It can be invaluable in deciding if your favorite activities are avaialble in TV (they are), where and when.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachnmo View Post
I'm betting that you are not going to get it out of your system. It's a very great place to be!
That is very true. The University of Southern Florida is going to conduct a study to see what genetic changes happen to individuals once they enter the perimeters of this place and take a long swig of some kool drink.

It has previously not been observed in such a large group of people, but just sitting down and having something nice to drink in one of the squares and watching people dance and talk and smile, and listening to the music, and watching them arrive and leave in their fancy golf carts, and then chatting with them, and asking them if they like to live in The Villages, then soon those people have a glazed look in their eyes and when they leave they have recurring thoughts of this place and it's inhabitants.

I don't like Florida, but it happened to me. Very curious indeed.

Welcome to you. I know you will love it here. I hope you enjoy every second of the rest of your time here with us in this Paradise!

You just won't believe it. It is amazing.

Kindest wishes,
Gracie.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:25 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

The Villages is the only place I know, where the reality of a visit far exceeds the marketing hype you get before coming here.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:38 AM
Veteran member

Everything your hearing is true. It will be our third trip June 30th can't get it out of our system just have to sell the home in jersey
Old 06-26-2011, 06:06 AM
Platinum member

I think the free map that you get at the sales center is most helpful to a visitor who is not looking for specific open houses. I find mapquest to be more helpful when looking for specific addresses in The Villages because the map is fine print and hard to read. The free map gives you the major arteries and landmarks.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
The Villages is the only place I know, where the reality of a visit far exceeds the marketing hype you get before coming here.
Well said.

That is the best way to describe it that I have ever heard and I completely and totally agree!
Old 06-26-2011, 08:14 AM
Sage

Quote:
WOW!!! What a great post. Short and to the point.

I usually say there aren't enough words to describe TV, you just have to see it. My feeling is you won't get it out of your system but it will be more ingrained in your wanting to move to TV. You might fall in love with TV. I know I did.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:04 AM
Gold member
Default Well said

Quote:
I agree!!
Old 06-26-2011, 09:16 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish Crocker View Post
My husband and I are coming down July 4th for 5 days....we will either decide to move there or get it out of my system!! Does anyone have any pointers as to what we should do for the few days that we are there. My husband does golf (and I'm planning to learn) but we won't be bringing any clubs with us. Thanks and looking forward to getting there!!!
Posted by Indy-guy

I have posted this before sometime ago and perhaps posting it again with some updates will help you out.

1. The best nights at Lake Sumter Landing are Tuesday and Thursday. These are the nights of the best entertainment and the Vendors are there those nights that is why they have the best entertainment.

2. The best nights at Spanish Springs are Monday and Wednesday. These are the nights of the best entertainment and the Vendors are there those nights that is why they have the best entertainment.

3. To me the best night at Katie Belles is Monday night. You need to make reservations so check with your host to find out how to do this. By far one of the best shows in The Villages and is a must. Also there is a good show on Wednesday night as well. Won't hurt to catch both.

4. If you have not been here before first thing is take a trolley ride to get a feel for the place. Then get a good map that shows the golf cart paths. Use your golf cart that is what this place is all about.

5. As you use your golf cart remember do not cross or drive on a 4 lane road it is against the law and you could get a ticket. If you find yourself in this situation stop and go back where you came from and look at all of the other carts and see where they are going and adjust you route. When in doubt pull out a map and look lost within 30 seconds you will be offered help.

6. If you are playing golf have your host schedule you on Palmer and be sure you play Riley Grove. When you see the videos you can say I was right there.

7. See what shows are at the Savannah Center and ask your host to make reservations for you if it is not sold out The Villages may comp you great seats. You have to ask!

8. Urban Flats has entertainment & dancing inside most nights. RJ Gators has great Karaoke (these people are good) & dancing on Wednesday and Saturday nights starting around 8:30 however you need to get there early to get a good seat. The Light House has entertainment many nights a week.

9. If you want to play golf other than the freebees that The villages offer simply call the courses after 6:45 AM on the day of play and ask about open tee times. They will set you up and you will pay the rate of a Villages Resident. Drop by any Pro Shop and they can supply you with phone numbers or check out The Villages Phone Book. Same for the Executive courses but don't waste your voucher on an Executive Course if you play both use the voucher on the Championship Course and pay for the Executive course.

10. Happy Hours at Cane Garden and Arnold Palmer start at 3:00 PM and are great prices. Cane Garden happy hour is done at 5:00 PM I think Palmer runs a little later but someone else may help us out there. Mallory Hill also has a good happy hour.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.