Golf cart confused...

Closed Thread
Old 07-10-2019, 07:23 PM
Default Golf cart confused...

Greetings! My wife and I will be closing on our new house at the end of the month and we're very excited! My question tonight is about which golf cart we should buy, gas or electric??
Thanks, Jim & Deb
Old 07-10-2019, 07:37 PM

If you’re not going to drive too far from home electric is fine. Gas carts have a range close to 200 miles.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:41 PM

This is like the white or wheat bread, thick or thin crust on your pizza or boxer / briefs ....

I know you are new, but you can search this topic to see discussions from before .. but I think I can summarize:

Electric is quieter, but when batteries die, you are stuck.... Batteries are expensive to replace ( when that time comes)

Gas is loud(er), it needs regular engine maintenance but as you can see, they seem to run for 10 - 15 years.

I suggest you go try both at the dealer.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,932 Times in 2,702 Posts

Everyone seems to have an opinion on this, but since you asked and I have an opinion, get a gas Yamaha Quiet-Tech with very comfortable aftermarket seats and have seat belts installed and you will have a very nice ride.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:45 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Everyone seems to have an opinion on this, but since you asked and I have an opinion, get a gas Yamaha Quiet-Tech with very comfortable aftermarket seats and have seat belts installed and you will have a very nice ride.
Good advise
Old 07-10-2019, 08:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

I tend to agree on the quietech, "recharging" a gas cart takes about 5 minutes to put in gas, and electric several hours, and currently, there very few (if any) recharging stations in the villages. Be very careful about electric vehicle range, especially if you are going to be located in the extreme North or South of the villages, as ylou may end up traveling significant distances.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,689 Times in 1,205 Posts

As they integrated automotive Li Ion technology into golf cars, the gap is closing. This looks interesting:

Club Car Introduces New High-Powered Lithium Ion Onward | Golf Cart Resource
Old 07-11-2019, 01:19 AM
Veteran member
Location: Reading, Pa, The Villages, Reading, Pa, The Villages until the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Be prepared for when the drive belt starts slipping.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:22 AM

When considering battery power, you need to do your homework on how to properly maintain the batteries. It's not just a mater of adding water and plugging in. That being said, I own 2 battery powered carts and am very happy with them.

Rollie
Old 07-11-2019, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Dog View Post
Yup! On the 4th belt in 8000 miles. New secondary clutch installed to see if that was the reason. Now the seals on the transmission had to be replaced. This is all on a 2017 Yamaha quiet-tech. Piece of J** junk.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:48 AM
Gold member

Modern electric Yamaha and EZGO carts have a range of about 60 miles.
If you are going to be driving your cart to Tampa Bay and back, then definitely get a gas cart
Old 07-11-2019, 06:59 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,475 Times in 703 Posts

When you forget to fuel/charge up before your trip it's a lot easier to put a gallon of gas into the cart than it is battery juice. One you call your spouse or a friend for a gallon of gas, the other you're calling for a tow back home.

Don't buy into the "it doesn't pollute" myth, it's call a displaced carbon footprint, you may not be putting it out the tailpipe but you will be putting it out at the power station.

Basic engineering tells us that every time there is a change in energy state or form there are losses and inefficiencies. Gas burns, moves the piston, and then turns the wheels. Electric starts with the fossil fuel that burns at the power station, that heats the water to make steam, that turns the turbine, that makes the high voltage electricity, that travels miles in the power lines, that gets reduced to household voltage, that gets converted to DC to charge the battery, that changes the electricity to stored chemical energy, that's converted back to electrical energy, to turn the motor, that turns the wheels. More steps, more losses/inefficiencies, bigger carbon footprint.

Consider also the long term maintenance, each year you will have about 1 quart of used motor oil to dispose of - easily recycled, or every few years you will have 250-300 pounds of lead and sulfuric acid to dispose of.
www.goldwingnut.com
YouTube –YouTube.com/GoldWingnut and YouTube.com/GoldWingnutProductions
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776
Old 07-11-2019, 07:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Dog View Post
Annual maintenance is the
key to preventing many golf cart issues
Old 07-11-2019, 07:49 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,328 Posts

Hate the task of everyday having to at least charge the cart, water once a month, if I remember, replace batteries, etc. With gas I never worry about where I am going until my tank is half empty, 100 plus miles. Oil change once a year. Plugs and air filter never to 5,000 miles. Just my opinion.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

My Yamaha Gas Cart purchased at LSL from The Villages will be 8 years old in August and have never had any repairs, only regular maintenance from Willie's Cart Service and a new battery after the first 4 years.
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, cart, tonight, excited, question

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.