Golf cart confused...

Closed Thread
Old 07-11-2019, 08:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Our most Harcore Friends just switched from an Electric EZ-GO to a 2019 Yamaha Quietech which is decked out with everything that can be had. It is absolutely beautiful and they are thrilled with their decision. We have a 2016 Yamaha with a Carberator and it has been flawless to this point. We put on about 50 miles a week. We only use The Villages Gas in our Cart and have missed out on some of the problems our friends have experienced with backfiring.

The thought of buying an Atomic Cart is so tempting but for now, we are going to stick with the Gas Yamaha. I'm pretty sure there is still two years of warranty left. Good luck with your choice.

Happy with The Villages Golf Cart In Spanish Springs. Any problem we've had, just drive up and let them know what's happening and your out in 5 minutes with a loaner. No waiting around for someone to show up at your home for a repair. Just my thoughts. Not judging anyone else's call on repairs.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:40 AM
Gold member

We began our golf cart ownership with an electric cart.Yes, it was quiet and didn't smell. It lagged going up hills ( we leaned forward "to help". We also were leery about driving at night with the extra draw of the head/tail lights. We are very happy with out gas cart. We keep up with maintenance and all is well.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:32 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Everyone seems to have an opinion on this, but since you asked and I have an opinion, get a gas Yamaha Quiet-Tech with very comfortable aftermarket seats and have seat belts installed and you will have a very nice ride.
Without reading any other posts, this is exactly what I would recommend.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts
Default Re: Drive belts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regor View Post
Yup! On the 4th belt in 8000 miles. New secondary clutch installed to see if that was the reason. Now the seals on the transmission had to be replaced. This is all on a 2017 Yamaha quiet-tech. Piece of J** junk.

Our Yamaha gas cart is five years old. We are full time and used it about every day. We do not have an odometer on it but a guess
based on fuel usage is 3000 miles a year so 15,000 miles on one belt.

You might review your driving style. Where your speed is set.
Ours is a two seater. If you have a four seater obviously more weight more belt wear. Also, creeping up hills is like ridding the clutch in a stick shift.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Yup! On the 4th belt in 8000 miles. New secondary clutch installed to see if that was the reason. Now the seals on the transmission had to be replaced. This is all on a 2017 Yamaha quiet-tech. Piece of J** junk.
We have had two QuieTech carts since their 2017 introduction. Absolutely the nicest, trouble-free machines we have owned. IF you have a problem, you could work with your dealer to correct it as it would still be under warranty. I'll bet those engineers at Yamaha knew what they're doing before the QuieTech was ever released to the marketplace.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:40 PM
Veteran member

We have one 2016 EZ-Go Electric with Trojan Lithium batteries and one Yesteryear 2017 Yamaha Gas Quiet tech. Both are fine. The EZ-Go is much more comfortable to ride in due to how quiet it is. I find it easier to plug in at home every night than to track down a gas station. South of 44 I’m not sure where the gas station would be...I think maybe there is gas at the golf courses?

The Yamaha Yesteryear has had two recalls since I’ve owned it. Due to the Yesteryear body, Villages golf cars will not do the recalls in the drop in tents, you have to bring it in. Though my Yesteryear has great storage and is good for hauling stuff.

If you chose to buy from the Villages Golf Cars do not get the $300 automatic turn signal turnoff. They don’t know how to set it to work most of the time. One time they reset it so badly the headlights no longer worked.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:00 PM

Of the 5 people that I know with 2017-2019 Yamaha Quiet - tech carts. I know of 7 belts needing changing. 2 clutches needed replacing. Rear suspension on a 2017 had to be re-positioned on one cart, resulting in 2 new rear tires. A 2019 with 2,000 miles, with the front suspension so far out of alignment that both tires needed changing. Seals on transmission leaking (you'll never know this unless you remove the back panel). All these carts are maintained per manufactures recommendations. That's just 5 carts!
Old 07-11-2019, 04:32 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Dog View Post
Be prepared for when the drive belt starts slipping.
Proper maintenance will abate that fear.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 07-11-2019, 04:34 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Are you the hot rod type that has to go faster than anyone else?

just askin...

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 07-11-2019, 05:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,741 Times in 1,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
Are you the hot rod type that has to go faster than anyone else?

just askin...
I resemble that question
Old 07-12-2019, 06:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,882 Times in 2,428 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Dog View Post
Be prepared for when the drive belt starts slipping.
My 2012 1/2 has 9500k miles and supposedly has the malfunctioning clutch? Haven’t had one problem, the cart runs and drives as new. Maybe it’s the operator’s causing the clutch problems banging the centrifugal clutch in when taking off? Or the cart is overloaded? Plus my the original drive belt is like new?
Old 07-12-2019, 06:43 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
Proper maintenance will abate that fear.
Or familiar with centrifugal clutch operation.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:56 AM
Sage

Quote:
Of the 5 people that I know with 2017-2019 Yamaha Quiet - tech carts. I know of 7 belts needing changing. 2 clutches needed replacing. Rear suspension on a 2017 had to be re-positioned on one cart, resulting in 2 new rear tires. A 2019 with 2,000 miles, with the front suspension so far out of alignment that both tires needed changing. Seals on transmission leaking (you'll never know this unless you remove the back panel). All these carts are maintained per manufactures recommendations. That's just 5 carts!
Well, they should of seen fluid on garage floor where is sets and drips. It don’t take much to just look.

Some people can’t find the dipstick. How many actually check tire pressure once month or even know how or have gauge to check it. If you have a lot of weight on the cart (250 plus pounds person, golf clubs, extra seat on the back, etc..) all that affects suspension geometry, plus add low tire pressure and the tires not going to last long.

Taking you’re cart in once year not going to do much good if you put lot miles on it. Some people can make YUGO last for ever and some trade MB every two years. So which ones are doing preventative maintenance and which ones just get in and go?
Old 07-12-2019, 07:20 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdebdog View Post
Greetings! My wife and I will be closing on our new house at the end of the month and we're very excited! My question tonight is about which golf cart we should buy, gas or electric??
Thanks, Jim & Deb
This first question I would ask? Location? And range I plan on traveling? I’ve had both and I live at one end of the villages. After two or three years I didn’t trust my elect cart from one end of the villages to other. Then, around 3, 4, 5, year mark on batteries they slowing loose recharge and the cart slow down, when that happens for me long trips are out. Then, there cost of batteries which never go down in cost. So, if you’re centralized location then elect cart will work great.

Now gas, I don’t notice the noise and mine not quiet tech, if noise is issue, it may bother you? Smell, I don’t smell exhaust. When backing into the garage feathering gas I can smell some enriched exhaust from working the gas pedal. when you smell exhaust in tunnel it’s not from you’re cart, so that not going to make difference.

Maintenance: you have to check oil and air in the tires, elect usually have automatic water system. But still have to check level just like oil. Three things you have do with gas, put gas in it, check oil level, change the oil IMO twice year, check tire pressure once month, and yearly maintenance. So, if you’re travels will take you from one end of villages to other (now that’s could be 40 mile trip when the bridges are finished) gas may be good choice.

You’re going to here good and bad about both, but only you can answer the questions to make choose.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:44 AM
Sage

Some of the gas Yamahas have a bit of a "shudder" just after starting up. In my own cart, this was addressed by going to a different drive belt. I am using the following part:

Yamaha JC0-G6241-01

This belt currently has 10,000 miles with no issues. The cart, a 2014, has 18,000 miles with no issues.

My maintenance schedule is as follows:

- oil change every 50 hours.
- one shot of grease in the zerk fittings on the two clutches every 100 hours.
- drain and fill the rear differential every 500 hours.
- clean the pre-airfilter every 100 hours.
- blow out the pleated air filter every 100 hours. There doesn't seem to be a reason to replace it yet.
- the spark plug looks like it should be good for well over 20,000 miles.
- rotate the tires every 10,000 miles.
- check the tire pressure (I keep it at 28 PSI) once a month. The Loadstar tires look like they should last about 35,000 miles.
- check the brake pedal travel, and adjust if necessary, every 500 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
My 2012 1/2 has 9500k miles and supposedly has the malfunctioning clutch? Haven’t had one problem, the cart runs and drives as new. Maybe it’s the operator’s causing the clutch problems banging the centrifugal clutch in when taking off? Or the cart is overloaded? Plus my the original drive belt is like new?

Last edited by biker1; 07-12-2019 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, cart, tonight, excited, question

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.