Golf cart confused...

Golf cart confused...

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 07-11-2019, 06:48 AM

Modern electric Yamaha and EZGO carts have a range of about 60 miles.
If you are going to be driving your cart to Tampa Bay and back, then definitely get a gas cart

Old 07-11-2019, 06:59 AM
Veteran member

When you forget to fuel/charge up before your trip it's a lot easier to put a gallon of gas into the cart than it is battery juice. One you call your spouse or a friend for a gallon of gas, the other you're calling for a tow back home.

Don't buy into the "it doesn't pollute" myth, it's call a displaced carbon footprint, you may not be putting it out the tailpipe but you will be putting it out at the power station.

Basic engineering tells us that every time there is a change in energy state or form there are losses and inefficiencies. Gas burns, moves the piston, and then turns the wheels. Electric starts with the fossil fuel that burns at the power station, that heats the water to make steam, that turns the turbine, that makes the high voltage electricity, that travels miles in the power lines, that gets reduced to household voltage, that gets converted to DC to charge the battery, that changes the electricity to stored chemical energy, that's converted back to electrical energy, to turn the motor, that turns the wheels. More steps, more losses/inefficiencies, bigger carbon footprint.

Consider also the long term maintenance, each year you will have about 1 quart of used motor oil to dispose of - easily recycled, or every few years you will have 250-300 pounds of lead and sulfuric acid to dispose of.
My Drone Flying YouTube Page
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2019, 07:40 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Dog View Post
Be prepared for when the drive belt starts slipping.
Annual maintenance is the
key to preventing many golf cart issues
Old 07-11-2019, 07:49 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Hate the task of everyday having to at least charge the cart, water once a month, if I remember, replace batteries, etc. With gas I never worry about where I am going until my tank is half empty, 100 plus miles. Oil change once a year. Plugs and air filter never to 5,000 miles. Just my opinion.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:01 AM
Sage

My Yamaha Gas Cart purchased at LSL from The Villages will be 8 years old in August and have never had any repairs, only regular maintenance from Willie's Cart Service and a new battery after the first 4 years.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:35 AM
Sage

Our most Harcore Friends just switched from an Electric EZ-GO to a 2019 Yamaha Quietech which is decked out with everything that can be had. It is absolutely beautiful and they are thrilled with their decision. We have a 2016 Yamaha with a Carberator and it has been flawless to this point. We put on about 50 miles a week. We only use The Villages Gas in our Cart and have missed out on some of the problems our friends have experienced with backfiring.

The thought of buying an Atomic Cart is so tempting but for now, we are going to stick with the Gas Yamaha. I'm pretty sure there is still two years of warranty left. Good luck with your choice.

Happy with The Villages Golf Cart In Spanish Springs. Any problem we've had, just drive up and let them know what's happening and your out in 5 minutes with a loaner. No waiting around for someone to show up at your home for a repair. Just my thoughts. Not judging anyone else's call on repairs.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:40 AM
Gold member

We began our golf cart ownership with an electric cart.Yes, it was quiet and didn't smell. It lagged going up hills ( we leaned forward "to help". We also were leery about driving at night with the extra draw of the head/tail lights. We are very happy with out gas cart. We keep up with maintenance and all is well.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:32 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Everyone seems to have an opinion on this, but since you asked and I have an opinion, get a gas Yamaha Quiet-Tech with very comfortable aftermarket seats and have seat belts installed and you will have a very nice ride.
Without reading any other posts, this is exactly what I would recommend.
Re: Drive belts
Old 07-11-2019, 11:58 AM

Default Re: Drive belts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regor View Post
Yup! On the 4th belt in 8000 miles. New secondary clutch installed to see if that was the reason. Now the seals on the transmission had to be replaced. This is all on a 2017 Yamaha quiet-tech. Piece of J** junk.

Our Yamaha gas cart is five years old. We are full time and used it about every day. We do not have an odometer on it but a guess
based on fuel usage is 3000 miles a year so 15,000 miles on one belt.

You might review your driving style. Where your speed is set.
Ours is a two seater. If you have a four seater obviously more weight more belt wear. Also, creeping up hills is like ridding the clutch in a stick shift.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regor View Post
Yup! On the 4th belt in 8000 miles. New secondary clutch installed to see if that was the reason. Now the seals on the transmission had to be replaced. This is all on a 2017 Yamaha quiet-tech. Piece of J** junk.
We have had two QuieTech carts since their 2017 introduction. Absolutely the nicest, trouble-free machines we have owned. IF you have a problem, you could work with your dealer to correct it as it would still be under warranty. I'll bet those engineers at Yamaha knew what they're doing before the QuieTech was ever released to the marketplace.

Tags
golf, cart, tonight, excited, question