Golf cart confused...

Closed Thread
Old 07-12-2019, 08:32 AM
Veteran member

I wanted an electric cart as it would be emission-free, quiet and more environmentally friendly. However, as I researched them, I realized that I'm just moving emissions elsewhere (the electricity I'd charge it with mostly comes from coal-fired plants here in Florida) and that the mining for the heavy minerals used in batteries is an environmental nightmare (and if you keep an electric cart for several years, you'll go through multiple sets of batteries). So it was pretty much just getting one to have it be quiet.

Then I really looked around during my final visits to The Villages before moving here. It seemed like every time I went to any of the town squares, 80 to 90% of the carts I saw parked there were Yamaha gas carts. Checking this site, I found people selling 10-year-old and older Yamaha carts for fairly good money. People here seem to love their Yamahas and the carts seem to really keep their value. So I shopped for Yamahas. The 2017s had just come out with "Quiet-Tech" which doesn't make them silent, but gets their noise level down well below the earlier models. So that's what I ended up buying. I've driven from our house in Dunedin clear up to the Paradise recreation center and down to Brownwood and never had to even think about range as a tank full of gas on one of these will take you a few hundred miles easily. I'm looking forward to exploring the new southern region of The Villages in my cart once the bridge over 44 is in place. I don't know that I'd consider that with an electric cart, even though battery technology has improved dramatically over the years.

Your needs may be different than mine so you may go a different direction. I've seen people in those little Atomic carts with the air conditioning and all zipping around and they seem pretty happy with them. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
Old 07-12-2019, 04:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,558 Times in 507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Dog View Post
Be prepared for when the drive belt starts slipping.
Yeah that $60 for a drive belt is nothing compared to new batteries. And before someone chirps about the labor, I’ve replaced 2 belts myself; not hard to do.
Old 07-12-2019, 04:54 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

We have owned electric carts at campgrounds in the past. They are quiet but need to be plugged in often. Each year you get less on a charge and every 5 or so years you need to replace the battles at at least $600.

We have a Yamaha gas cart which we had decided on a couple years before buying the house and we love it.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 865 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinricci View Post
If you’re not going to drive too far from home electric is fine. Gas carts have a range close to 200 miles.
But have yet to find someone that drives it 200 miles in a day

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 07-12-2019, 08:03 PM
Sage

Another note, there is range fear here, people worry if they drive electric. My wife and I both have electric carts, with new batteries we get 60 miles on a charge, after 3 years it is down to about 35 miles. If you know how far the souther reaches are from where you live you can do the math. We are in the middle so getting to Fenny or Spanish Springs is not a problem, but for those that have range fear gas is probably the choice.

Old 07-12-2019, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Well, they should of seen fluid on garage floor where is sets and drips. It don’t take much to just look.
You will NOT see drops on the floor from the new Quiet-Tech carts! There is sound proofing under the engine! The sound proofing was soaked! NO drops on the floor! Piece of junk!
Old 07-12-2019, 11:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,689 Times in 1,205 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
Some of the gas Yamahas have a bit of a "shudder" just after starting up. In my own cart, this was addressed by going to a different drive belt. I am using the following part:

Yamaha JC0-G6241-01

This belt currently has 10,000 miles with no issues. The cart, a 2014, has 18,000 miles with no issues.

My maintenance schedule is as follows:

- oil change every 50 hours.
- one shot of grease in the zerk fittings on the two clutches every 100 hours.
- drain and fill the rear differential every 500 hours.
- clean the pre-airfilter every 100 hours.
- blow out the pleated air filter every 100 hours. There doesn't seem to be a reason to replace it yet.
- the spark plug looks like it should be good for well over 20,000 miles.
- rotate the tires every 10,000 miles.
- check the tire pressure (I keep it at 28 PSI) once a month. The Loadstar tires look like they should last about 35,000 miles.
- check the brake pedal travel, and adjust if necessary, every 500 hours.
Great list!

I've never look under the hood

What tools do you need to do this?

Does the cart need to be jacked up for anything other than tire rotation.

Nevermind, found some YouTube videos, thanks again for the list!

Last edited by Altavia; 07-12-2019 at 11:29 PM.
Old 07-13-2019, 05:59 AM

We have 2013 Yamaha brought new from TV with over 23k miles on it. Change the oil once a year, transaxle gear oil once every two years. Repairs include new tires, new battery, repair windshield (new hinge,) replace brushes in starter/generator, replace one headlight, replace tie rod ends (to tighten up steering) and air filter changes. I have seen to many electric carts broken down and batteries replaced. Gas is much less expensive and way more convenient. The newer Yamaha are quieter and ride better. Maybe when I get to 40k miles, I will buy a new one!
Old 07-13-2019, 06:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnInTwo View Post
We have 2013 Yamaha brought new from TV with over 23k miles on it. Change the oil once a year, transaxle gear oil once every two years. Repairs include new tires, new battery, repair windshield (new hinge,) replace brushes in starter/generator, replace one headlight, replace tie rod ends (to tighten up steering) and air filter changes. I have seen to many electric carts broken down and batteries replaced. Gas is much less expensive and way more convenient. The newer Yamaha are quieter and ride better. Maybe when I get to 40k miles, I will buy a new one!
You do know that The Villages Golf Carts has a contract as do many owners with AAA, Kart Aid, and a third company to pick up carts that break down. Since the majority of the carts here are gas, wonder why?

Old 07-13-2019, 08:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,931 Times in 2,701 Posts

I recently played golf at Hacienda Hills as a single. I got paired up with a threesome and was told by the group that they were driving the carts and I had to ride with one of them. So I loaded my clubs into one of their carts, an electric cart. I was having the round of my life and after 13 holes the cart we were in ran out of juice on the middle of the course. We had to push the electric cart to a safe place, use the other cart to go get my gas cart, and then come back and continue our round. My great round more or less got ruined because it was now a high stress round as we were holding up other golfers and had to hurry (not the other golfers fault). When the round was over, I had to tow the electric cart back to the owners house (fortunately I carry a tow strap in my cart). Moral of the story, I will never get into another electric golf cart, especially for a round of golf.
Old 07-13-2019, 09:08 PM
Sage

No, I don't wonder. I have a contract with Kart Aid because I may get a flat tire and I don't carry a spare, and I have in fact used them for a flat when I picked up a nail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
You do know that The Villages Golf Carts has a contract as do many owners with AAA, Kart Aid, and a third company to pick up carts that break down. Since the majority of the carts here are gas, wonder why?
Old 07-18-2019, 10:16 AM

I am new to The Villages also, and after countless hours of research, I decided that gas was better for me. One big deciding factor, for me, was the durability and maintenance. With an electric cart you have to change anywhere from 4-8 batteries every few years. I chose a gas cart because just like cars, if you keep up with the regular maintenance they will run forever. On top of that, they have a much further range and they sip fuel. The cost of gasoline is very minimal, in my opinion.
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, cart, tonight, excited, question

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.