Golf Cart Insurance

Closed Thread
Old 11-24-2018, 01:33 PM
Default Golf Cart Insurance

Like I said in the other thread, we are newbies.

Do you guys get insurance for your golf carts? Liability is pretty inexpensive and comp/collision is more than twice as much. What do you opt for? Any suggestions for companies?
Old 11-24-2018, 03:25 PM

Yes to insurance. Less than $100/yr. I had a run in with a post a few weeks ago (dumb!), and the $3,600 (not a typo) repair bill was paid in a week. Foremost Insurance, through The Villages Insurance agency. Highly recommend!
Old 11-24-2018, 04:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 865 Posts

Had a similar incident two years ago, cart body is fiberglass which meant replace the body.....4K ish. I have the same coverage as my car and is under the umbrella so the deductible was 500. My annual cost for 2 carts is 120.00 through The Villages Insurance

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 11-24-2018, 08:10 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Considerating most drivers do not have proper (or any golf cart ) insurance, highly suggest uninsured/ underinsurance coverage.
Old 11-24-2018, 08:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,931 Times in 2,701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Had a similar incident two years ago, cart body is fiberglass which meant replace the body.....4K ish. I have the same coverage as my car and is under the umbrella so the deductible was 500. My annual cost for 2 carts is 120.00 through The Villages Insurance
Our annual for two carts was also relatively low, at $135. However, we just got the renewal bill and it skyrocketed to $200. And we never had any reason to file a claim, so that can't be the reason for the increase. Not happy with the bait and switch game the insurance provider plays.
Old 11-24-2018, 09:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

Also, consider if your cart can go over 20 MPH, it is considered a LSV (Low speed Vehicle) and actually requires a license and essentially CAR insurance. If you have an accident and the police check your golf cart speed, you can expect several hundred dollars in fines, etc.
While I do not know what your insurance company would do, I can guess they would deny coverage if it can go over 20 MPH.
As for the costs, I agree with the info above.
Old 11-25-2018, 12:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts
Default Golf Cart Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Also, consider if your cart can go over 20 MPH, it is considered a LSV (Low speed Vehicle) and actually requires a license and essentially CAR insurance. If you have an accident and the police check your golf cart speed, you can expect several hundred dollars in fines, etc.
While I do not know what your insurance company would do, I can guess they would deny coverage if it can go over 20 MPH.

That (over 20mph even 21 or 22 which is no different WRT legality) would include probably 90% of the golf carts here.

That being said, mine is registered & plated as a lsv/street legal and insurance is around $450 with no collision but max liability. Before it was s/l it was $65 (no collision) from Foremost. Expensive but a still cheaper than a 2nd car at $1000+. We put over 5000 miles a year on it. When we need to leave the bubble we take our car.
"If one has no sense of humor, one is in trouble."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 11-25-2018, 12:08 PM
Veteran member

it's also best to get a separate policy for your golf cart only-- I would advise to never get a rider added on to your home-owners policy
Old 11-25-2018, 12:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry C View Post
Like I said in the other thread, we are newbies.

Do you guys get insurance for your golf carts? Liability is pretty inexpensive and comp/collision is more than twice as much. What do you opt for? Any suggestions for companies?

While it is not required by law you should have AT LEAST liability to cover injury or property damage to others. A golf cart can still kill someone. Any other coverage is up to you. Cost depends on value of cart and coverage you get. Liability/PD is CHEAP. Don't be a fool and regret it when you hear from this guy: Our Office Locations - Dan Newlin Injury Attorneys
Old 01-15-2019, 01:08 PM

Can anybody help with a recommendation for an insurance company for a LSV (low speed vehicle).
Old 01-15-2019, 02:11 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
The police have no right to test drive your golf cart after you've been in an accident. Unless they had you on radar going over 20 prior to the accident, this is a non-factor.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 865 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring_chicken View Post
The police have no right to test drive your golf cart after you've been in an accident. Unless they had you on radar going over 20 prior to the accident, this is a non-factor.
And make sure your lawyer knows that while he is defending you....the police have wide powers when they believe your actions have resulted in property damage or personal injury. In addition, the lawyer for the other guy won't care what your position is.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 01-15-2019, 04:36 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
And make sure your lawyer knows that while he is defending you....the police have wide powers when they believe your actions have resulted in property damage or personal injury. In addition, the lawyer for the other guy won't care what your position is.
You may want to read up on laws.

Last edited by spring_chicken; 01-15-2019 at 08:16 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:09 PM

Kate at Thomas Ins, my golf cart insurance was renewed for my second year at $77, no increase.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:06 PM
Default Re: Bait and switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Our annual for two carts was also relatively low, at $135. However, we just got the renewal bill and it skyrocketed to $200. And we never had any reason to file a claim, so that can't be the reason for the increase. Not happy with the bait and switch game the insurance provider plays.
I am not selling insurance. BUT, if you feel the rate you are being charged rather than complain you should do comparison shopping.
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, insurance, pretty, inexpensive, comp/collision

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.