Golf cart keys

Closed Thread
Old 05-16-2021, 10:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

I went one step further, I installed an universal AUTOMOTIVE ignition switch which has a unique key (actually came with 4 keys). This has the advantage of an accessory position so i can have the radio or fan on without the EFI, running lights, etc on. These switches are available for about $15 at most of the auto parts stores, and the keys are all different. NOTE: I did not use the start position.
Old 05-16-2021, 12:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,926 Times in 2,452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
I've not looked but I doubt you can buy key blanks unless you are a locksmith. The reason is if you have a blank it is easy to make a key that will fit a given lock. I'm sure you can find instructions on how to do it on the internet.
Various Models Yamaha Golf Carts Recreational Vehicle Key Blank Blanks YH38 X77 | eBay

As long as for key code for particular style? I think I brought mine at villages golf carts for around 12 bucks then, went to hardware store to get it cut, been few years ago.
Old 05-16-2021, 12:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I went one step further, I installed an universal AUTOMOTIVE ignition switch which has a unique key (actually came with 4 keys). This has the advantage of an accessory position so i can have the radio or fan on without the EFI, running lights, etc on. These switches are available for about $15 at most of the auto parts stores, and the keys are all different. NOTE: I did not use the start position.
Did it fit in dash hole or did you have modify?
Old 05-16-2021, 12:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
OP, if you are after additional duplicate keys, you can try lowes and ACE. Generally the golf carts have 'standard' keys, for example Yamaha has 5 or 6 keys for the ignition not sure about the locking glove compartments. If you bought the cart new i would go back to the dealer, if not you can try a dealer selling the same make.
My village golf cart don’t have standard fit all key
Old 05-16-2021, 01:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Did it fit in dash hole or did you have modify?
As I recall it fit the existing hole, I also did this for 2 or 3 neighbors. I think one of the carts the hole was a little small and an exacto knife fixed that very quickly.

One word of caution, ALL of the carts I worked on had 2 wires to the ignition switch, I have seen carts with 4 wires, and i have NOT looked into the exact wiring on the 4 wire switches.
Old 05-16-2021, 01:35 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rango View Post
Got mine from a locksmith

Same here...we have club car with unique keying, we needed dups...had to go to Leesburg locksmith...but he was fast and nice.
Old 05-16-2021, 07:40 PM

You have to buy a blank at the Villages Golf Cars for $7.00 each and get it cut at Ace Hardware. The Yamaha keys are cut on both sides. There are two cuts for each key.
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, cart, keys, set, made

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.