Golf Carts.. Buy new or used??

Closed Thread
Old 08-25-2011, 01:25 PM
Default Golf Carts.. Buy new or used??

Well we have the house now, so next must be the golf cart... We just closed on our house in Buttonwood.. We will be down spring/summer for good. Not sure what to do.. or where to go.. any ideas??
Old 08-25-2011, 01:44 PM

Just like with my cars I like to go with used. I bought two used carts (Electric) and haven't had any problems. If you're not sure of the cart condition you can probably have it checked out by an expert.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:16 PM

There are used carts (gas or electric) for sale on this site every week

We have bought two used electric carts (both fairly old) and have had no problems.

One is 36v, the other 48v. I would recommend going with 48v, preferably with eight 6v batteries.

Check the age of the batteries, as they are expensive to replace (around $800) and last around three years.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:43 PM
Veteran member
Location: Reading, Pa, The Villages, Reading, Pa, The Villages until the end.
Smile

If you go with electric, opt for 8-6 volt batteries. You will get almost 50% more distance than with 6-8 volt batteries.

Better buys on used carts.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:29 PM
Sage

Just me, but I always buy new. I can't keep wondering why someone is selling something almost new. I don't want to buy someone else's problems. I don't know how well they maintained it while they had it or did they break it in properly. I'm sure it has cost me more money through the years, but I like piece of mind. Now rebuilt and guaranteed is just fine with me.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:04 PM
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
Just me, but I always buy new. I can't keep wondering why someone is selling something almost new. I don't want to buy someone else's problems. I don't know how well they maintained it while they had it or did they break it in properly. I'm sure it has cost me more money through the years, but I like piece of mind.

Yep, sounds just like me. I like the manufactor warranty..
Old 08-25-2011, 04:29 PM
Sage

Molly - GeorgeT makes a good point if you decide to buy used: If you're unsure about the cart, have it checked over by an expert.

Bottom line: Buy whatever you like and what you can afford. Some like new, others will always buy used. Electric versus gas - - - the discussions can go on ad infinitum! How you traditionally buy your cars is probably how you'll feel about buying a golf cart.

Bill
Old 08-25-2011, 05:02 PM
Sage

Hi Molleypeanut,

Welcome and congratulations on your new home! Yep, golf cart is next.

We bought a used cart from Carts and Clubs in Ocala. The Villages Golf store also sells used, as do individuals. An advantage of buying used from a reputable dealer such as the two I've mentioned, is they usually condition them well, are honest about the condition and will price them accordingly, I would think.

Another question is electric or gas. Gas has much longer range and low maintenance. However, they are noisy and can smell.

So, consider whether range is an issue for you. If you are a golfer and want to play all the courses, not just the nearby ones, and you might run errands in the cart before heading home from golf, it could be.

Whatever you decide on, enjoy tooling around TV in your cart. And enjoy your new life down here in Lower Paradise!

Old 08-25-2011, 06:38 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
Just me, but I always buy new. I can't keep wondering why someone is selling something almost new. I don't want to buy someone else's problems. I don't know how well they maintained it while they had it or did they break it in properly. I'm sure it has cost me more money through the years, but I like piece of mind. Now rebuilt and guaranteed is just fine with me.
Me too! We looked at used and new and the price difference was not all that great for later model carts. I also like the warranty and support services. Peace of mind is worth a couple of bucks to me. Bottom line is not always the bottom line.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladydoc View Post
Me too! We looked at used and new and the price difference was not all that great for later model carts. I also like the warranty and support services. Peace of mind is worth a couple of bucks to me. Bottom line is not always the bottom line.
Oh. Kind of like a cigar.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:58 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyT View Post
Yep, sounds just like me. I like the manufactor warranty..

I like the new car smell LOL

"The difficult we can do immediately the impossible just takes a little longer"
Old 08-26-2011, 06:28 AM

If you do go with a used cart, there is a cart towing (K artaid) company that charges $30/year. I needed them twice when I was a novice electric cart owner. They will take your cart to your home in the event of a breakdown. Kind of like AAA. Verry fast pickup both times that I needed them.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:19 AM
Gold member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
Oh. Kind of like a cigar.
No, this is entirely different.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeT View Post
Just like with my cars I like to go with used. I bought two used carts (Electric) and haven't had any problems. If you're not sure of the cart condition you can probably have it checked out by an expert.
Agree. When the owner has maintenance records I always feel like the car was well maintained. When we buy our cart, I'll ask the same of the cart owner.

IMO you'll probably get a better price from an individual than a dealer, but also agree with another post about a dealer checking out their used carts. Purchasing wisely is probably better than buying "thrifty". Most times you "get what you pay for"!!
Old 08-26-2011, 07:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

We bought used golf cart three years ago and it is doing fine.

Best friend just bought BRAND NEW ONE!

No. I am not jealous. Well, maybe a little.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.