Golf Practice Facilities

Closed Thread
Old 04-30-2011, 05:48 PM
Default Golf Practice Facilities

I'll be down in a couple of months to look for a house. I'm an avid golfer. My question: which of the "country clubs" have good practice facilities--chipping/pitching areas, bunkers, putting and, of course, driving range? How do they price the use of these facilities (if they exist)? Don't want to drive cross town every day just to hit a bucket.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:02 PM
Default practice facilities

The practice facilities are second rate throughout the villages. The best practice facility is Sarasota on the SW side. Unfortunately it will be turned into an executive course sometime this summer/fall.

The other practice facilities with sand are Glenview CC and Palmer CC. Lopez has chipping/pitching area and golf range but no traps. Havana, Cane, Tierra, HH and OB have no range and limited practice areas. Cane has a short pitching area.

Balls are $4 a small bucket unless you buy a quantity pass that reduces cost to $3.

Some of the courses are pretty good and the rates are great in the summer, but practice areas are not very good.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Go here to learn more. Click on Championship courses.
http://golfthevillages.com/
Old 04-30-2011, 10:34 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanwater View Post
The practice facilities are second rate throughout the villages. The best practice facility is Sarasota on the SW side. Unfortunately it will be turned into an executive course sometime this summer/fall.
It was my understanding that the Sarasota facility will remain - just in a slightly different location as part of the new Bonifay Championship course...
Old 05-01-2011, 05:23 AM
Veteran member

I have to agree with the above postings. Plus, there are so many people here during the high season (Jan - March) you end up waiting in line to be able to hit a bucket of balls. I ended up buying a range pass at Buffalo Junction, Patrick Leahy's practice facility. They were running a special at the time $100 for 50 buckets. You hit off grass, not mats, and they have a sand trap and chipping/pitching green. No green you can putt on. I have also taken lessons from Patrick, who used to work for The Villages golf Academy, and think he's a great teacher. Although officially "off campus", his facility is centrally located and golf cart accessible. When I just want to work on chipping and putting I use the facility at Cane Garden. There are 2 putting greens and a smallish chipping green. Palmer is way too busy to use, for me anyways, except for the summer months when the snowbirds are not around. At Sarasota and Lopez, you're driving your balls over water, which I don't particularly care for. The facilities are nicely maintained though.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:15 AM

Try Tree Tops on Rolling Acres at 466. New Balls and better grass than any village golf course or range. Nice people and fair prices!
Old 05-01-2011, 09:26 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cunch View Post
Try Tree Tops on Rolling Acres at 466. New Balls and better grass than any village golf course or range. Nice people and fair prices!
Any, really?
Old 05-01-2011, 09:27 AM

Lady Lake has a facility up the road from Tree Tops on Rolling Acres ... have never used it, but it seems popular, but usually not full
Old 05-01-2011, 08:08 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default I Second that

Quote:
Originally Posted by cunch View Post

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 05-03-2011, 12:42 PM

Yes any!
Old 05-03-2011, 02:27 PM
Email Reported As Spam
Default Golf Practice

I am a steady at tree top because I like the facility, the people who run it and the fact that I don't have to wear a shirt with a collar or golf shoes if i don't choose to. I stopped at Palmers Demo Day a few years back to ask one question about my Callaway driver when one of its employees admonition me for coming to the event in my sandals. I had izod golf shorts and shirt and this guy makes a lot of noise about sandals. The episode embarassed me so I don't use practice facilities there nor go to any demo days
Old 05-03-2011, 03:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
I am a steady at tree top because I like the facility, the people who run it and the fact that I don't have to wear a shirt with a collar or golf shoes if i don't choose to. I stopped at Palmers Demo Day a few years back to ask one question about my Callaway driver when one of its employees admonition me for coming to the event in my sandals. I had izod golf shorts and shirt and this guy makes a lot of noise about sandals. The episode embarassed me so I don't use practice facilities there nor go to any demo days
I think the operative words here are "few years back". I was there last week at the Cobra demo and had on sneakers.....nobody said a word. And I also saw two guys in sandals. Maybe it was just "the guy". Ya think??
Old 05-03-2011, 05:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default Your kidding me!

Aren't there golf sandals? I really notice an attitude sometimes when I go to Palmer on the part of starters and range crew...Love the Custom Golf Works guys and ambassadors are great....

Quote:
Old 05-03-2011, 05:24 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
I like Leahy's Buffalo Ridge for the same reason. Plus, they are very friendly and always remember my name, and I think the balls are a little cheaper.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:25 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
i am a steady at tree top because i like the facility, the people who run it and the fact that i don't have to wear a shirt with a collar or golf shoes if i don't choose to. I stopped at palmers demo day a few years back to ask one question about my callaway driver when one of its employees admonition me for coming to the event in my sandals. I had izod golf shorts and shirt and this guy makes a lot of noise about sandals. The episode embarassed me so i don't use practice facilities there nor go to any demo days
(good !!)

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.