Groceries and Golf Carts

Closed Thread
Old 01-12-2021, 06:16 PM
Default Groceries and Golf Carts

Hello,
I have been researching The Villages as a place to relocate to. I am recently widowed, in my early 60s, and looking for a fresh start in a different part of Florida (I'm currently living in SW Florida). I love that golf carts are a primary way of getting around the area, but my question is about going grocery shopping at the supermarkets. I'm not that familiar with golf carts (nope - not a golfer here) but was wondering if they have a storage area or someplace to put your groceries in while you drive back home. Or do most people just drive their car to the markets and keep their groceries cool in the A/C?
Thanks for you help -
Old 01-12-2021, 06:56 PM
Veteran member

Hi, Nancy. It depends. Some people have a large nylon bag that hangs on the back of the cart for purchases. Some people have a large basket where others would have a back seat. If you have doors on your cart you could close the doors and put bags on the front passenger seat and on the floor. Depends on how much you buy at one time. We usually shop with the car but there are always lots of carts in the Publix parking lot!

kathy
Old 01-12-2021, 08:19 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

We shop with whatever we are driving. Have a mesh bag in golf bag area. Only buy for 2 days at a time, since most shopping is online or out of the bubble
Old 01-12-2021, 08:23 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,604 Times in 942 Posts

You can add a lot of things to the carts for grocery shopping - i think this link will work

<iframe title="vimeo-player" src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/397525452" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-12-2021, 09:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,147 Times in 2,246 Posts

Villages Discount Carts has an option for shopping with a YAMAHA golf cart, it provides a large cooler for frozen stuff, and as I recall a flat space with sides for bagged groceries, so as indicated above you have options. PS if you are after a NEW house, you will end up south of 44 and there is much less shopping (currently) in that area so you may be forced to use your car.
Old 01-12-2021, 09:57 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

We always shop with a cart. One has the bag on the back plus a basket. The other has a folding back seat with storage and a flat surface. In addition to dozens of Publix and a few Winn Dixies, you can also take your cart to 2 Walmart’s and a Walmart grocery store, Target, Lowes, Beals, the 3 centers, Dollar tree, Marshall’s, TJ Max’s, HomeGoods, Staples, many many restaurants and a BJ’s being built. You can do everything with the golf cart. Never need to leave the reservation if you don’t want to.
Old 01-12-2021, 10:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,774 Times in 1,241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyj View Post
Hello,
I have been researching The Villages as a place to relocate to. I am recently widowed, in my early 60s, and looking for a fresh start in a different part of Florida (I'm currently living in SW Florida). I love that golf carts are a primary way of getting around the area, but my question is about going grocery shopping at the supermarkets. I'm not that familiar with golf carts (nope - not a golfer here) but was wondering if they have a storage area or someplace to put your groceries in while you drive back home. Or do most people just drive their car to the markets and keep their groceries cool in the A/C?
Thanks for you help -
Most locations in the Villages are golf cart accessable to a grocery (less than 5 miles).

Only current exception is south of the Turnpike but that will be resolved by mid February with the opening of a new Publix.
Old 01-12-2021, 10:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Where the two golf bags normally sit, you can buy a nylon mesh shopping bag for $50 and use that to hold a lot of items. All the dealers sell them.

The Villages Florida

If want something even larger, as mentioned by Villagetinker, Villages Discount Golf Cars sells a 114 quart storage container that fits on the back along with a larger cooler and even the golf clubs can still go. Here's a video.

Village Discount Golf Car - Introducing The Premium Cargo Cart at Village Discount Golf Car | Facebook

As far as shopping, I spend the majority of my time in the area between LSL (Lake Sumter Landing) and BW (Brownwood). The Villages of Duval, Hemingway and Hadley would be the areas I would steer a new buyer to look for a home. Of course it would be a resale, but the homes are generally ten years old or newer and convenience to two squares, Colony Shopping Plaza area, Neighborhood Walmart, and by car to Trailwinds Villages Shopping would be ideal. Of course the older areas of Spanish Springs would also offer a lot of convenient shopping options along US 441/27. Which would north of 466 along Morse Blvd would be another option.

Lake Sumter Landing Square

The Villages Florida

Brownwood Square

The Villages Florida

Spanish Springs Square

The Villages Florida
Old 01-13-2021, 05:54 AM
Default golf cart

We don't play golf either, and have a CROWN golf cart. It has 4 doors, but can be a 2 door, also. It has a trunk, and with the 4 door, a back seat - plenty of room for groceries - plus air conditioning and heat. We go everywhere in it, all year long.
Old 01-13-2021, 05:58 AM
Default Golf Carts and groceries

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyj View Post
Hello,
Thanks for you help -
Many people drive their golf carts to the grocery store but it depends on where you live and where the store is located. Golf carts are not allowed on many of the roads. You need to become familiar with the route from your home to the grocery store to make sure that
You do not have to cross any major highways.
Old 01-13-2021, 06:19 AM
Veteran member

I wouldn"t say the are "dozens" of Publix here. There are alot in the Villages, accessible by golf cart, but hardly dozens
Old 01-13-2021, 06:38 AM

I am not a golfer either. When I purchased my new golf cart, I purchased an electric Timberline cart with a lockable trunk. Very nice
Old 01-13-2021, 06:49 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,139 Times in 882 Posts

I was new to golf carts too and had a funny learning curve just trying to run it. You need to be shown by someone or go online to learn how to turn it on and how things work. I couldn't figure out at first why the engine wasn't purring constantly like a car, or where the horn was (on the floor!!), and how to undo the 2 way flashers (use the turn signal!). So there is a little learning curve but I've loved using it and seeing people in them. The cart paths are another challenge at first, but The Villages has an APP for golf carts that could be very helpful to you. But be aware that there is very cold weather here at times, so it can get very chilly in the cart. I also found out there's holes in the floor near the peddles, so any running fast through deep puddles can come up to haunt you! HAHA I too am without a mate here (while he still has to work back north), and I find it very easy to make friends and socialize. Hope you get to come and enjoy!
Old 01-13-2021, 07:00 AM
Sage

The Villages, for the most part, is all self-contained meaning you can shop, go to the dr. and some churches in your golf cart. We've shopped using the cart but mostly use our car now. The grocery stores here are Publix, Aldi, Winn Dixie, Neighborhood Walmart (one of these near 466a), Walmart and Sams. Once you are here you can decide where you want to shop, depending on your house location.
Old 01-13-2021, 07:01 AM

We love being on the historic side because nearly everything is easily accessed by golf cart ...groceries, clothing, medical, hardware, restaurants. We have an older large suitcase on the back of our cart, strapped in, that works fantastic for groceries and other things (bags, insulated cooler, jackets, bungees...). Others use a wide variety of adaptations. We do not golf but find it much easier to use the cart than the car & more fun.
Closed Thread

Tags
groceries, golf, carts, florida, drive

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.