Help needed with mowing,termite & lawn bug treatment.

Closed Thread
Old 02-14-2011, 04:17 PM
Default Help needed with mowing,termite & lawn bug treatment.

Hi you all.
We closed on a patio home in The Tall Trees area last month.

I need you alls advise on 3 issues.

Mowing service?

Termites?

Lawn and bug spraying?

Who should I go with?

I think the previous owner used Massey (Termite) Bates for bugs and lawn....and have no idea on mowing..

Can one company do all...

Side note also...Part of our deal on buying the house is that it was pre rented thru April...well guess what.....April canceled...it was due to health reasons. Do you all have any suggestions....I have been in hopes that I can do it word of mouth....

So any help on the above, I would be very grateful for.
Thanks,
Britt
Old 02-14-2011, 04:40 PM
Gold member
Default Hi Britt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heculez View Post
Hi you all.
We closed on a patio home in The Tall Trees area last month.

I need you alls advise on 3 issues.

Mowing service?

Termites?

Lawn and bug spraying?

Who should I go with?

I think the previous owner used Massey (Termite) Bates for bugs and lawn....and have no idea on mowing..

Can one company do all...

Side note also...Part of our deal on buying the house is that it was pre rented thru April...well guess what.....April canceled...it was due to health reasons. Do you all have any suggestions....I have been in hopes that I can do it word of mouth....

So any help on the above, I would be very grateful for.
Thanks,
Britt
welcome to TV and Tall Trees! we are neighbors we live on oak bend pl if you want to meet Pm me. It's heaven here-- welcome to paradise.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:43 PM
Gold member

We have used Superior Services of Florida for the past 6 years for both termites and lawn and shrub service for pest control, fertilization, and pest control of the lawn. We have been satisfied with the service and what's best if I have a problem I call them and they respond by the next day. Their number is 352-751-3389. They do not mow lawns or trim shrubs. I just got a renewal notice and the cost for the year is $540. This does not include the termite protection which is seperate.

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 02-14-2011, 08:37 PM
Veteran member

I use Massey for termites, interior bugs, and outdoor bugs. They are very good. Be careful about choosing a lawn mowing company. Some have been known to scam new homeowners especially if they want pre-payment of a year long contract.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:55 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbugs View Post
I use Massey for termites, interior bugs, and outdoor bugs. They are very good. Be careful about choosing a lawn mowing company. Some have been known to scam new homeowners especially if they want pre-payment of a year long contract.
We just signed up with Massey for all you mentioned plus sprinkler inspections and repairs. Quickly executing what we signed up for was impressive, but a little on the side I feel; worth it though for the peace of mind, IMO!
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 02-14-2011, 10:03 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbugs View Post
Question... given your nickname here on TOTV, are you driven away from your property when Massey sprays for bugs? Just wondering!
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 02-15-2011, 05:59 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via MSN to Bryan

The lawn mowing business in TV is very competitive so you should shop around, don't pay in advance (maybe one month at most), and listen to your neighbors advice. Lawn cutting is kind of independent from all the other stuff although some of the services that do termites, fertilizer, et al, also cut lawns - but usually not at the best prices. For all the other stuff (and maybe sprinkler system service also), I won't recommend anyone but I will say it is best to use ONE company for all of them. If you split it up, then you get in the middle of a finger pointing game if something goes wrong. They blame each other and dodge responsibility for any problems. One company - they can only blame another division within their company and the one company is still on the hook to rectify the problem.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:18 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
The lawn mowing business in TV is very competitive so you should shop around, don't pay in advance (maybe one month at most), and listen to your neighbors advice. Lawn cutting is kind of independent from all the other stuff although some of the services that do termites, fertilizer, et al, also cut lawns - but usually not at the best prices. For all the other stuff (and maybe sprinkler system service also), I won't recommend anyone but I will say it is best to use ONE company for all of them. If you split it up, then you get in the middle of a finger pointing game if something goes wrong. They blame each other and dodge responsibility for any problems. One company - they can only blame another division within their company and the one company is still on the hook to rectify the problem.

We have used PTL for over 3 years for all our lawn services including mowing,weeding and bush trimming, they also do all of the pest control inside and out. We are seasonal residents and having only one company provide all the services has worked out very well for us. PTL has been very quick to respond to any concerns we have had and our lawn is one the best looking in our neighborhood. When we become fulltime residents we plan on doing our own lawn maintenance and pest control, but we are very satisfied with PTL's services.

Last edited by Halle; 02-16-2011 at 10:48 AM.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halle View Post
We have used PTL for over 3 years for all our lawn services including mowing,weeding and bush trimming, they also do all of the pest control inside and out. We are seasonal residents and having only one company provide all the services has worked out very well for us.
Halle, I'd like to contact PTL. Do they do termite protection as well? Do you have contact information for PTL?

We've been using Bates for over a year. During that time, a lot of our lawn died off. Bates doesn't seem very responsive to problems. One of their "technicians" told me he has no idea what is causing our problem.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:25 AM
Veteran member

Hi Bare,
Just sent you a PM with the contact number and some additional information. I know you are enjoying your time in The Bubble, it was -15 yesterday but it is suppose to get up in the high teens today.

Halle
Old 02-20-2011, 08:08 PM

Just wanted to thank everyone for taking the time out of your day to give some info.
I have contacted all of the above suggested companies.

Just a side note. When reading Bates contract I noticed on the back side that they do a automatic renew on the contract when a year is up.

I will not do business this way, we have a dumpster service up here in NC that does the same thing.

I told them they could supply a dumpster but at that same time said we will not renew unless they take that out.

Thanks again
Britt
Old 02-20-2011, 08:33 PM
Platinum member

We have used Once a Year and have been pleased. They do shrub and lawn fertilization and pest control. They are out the next day if I see ants and this has only happened a couple time in 2 1/2 years. We do have tiny snails that they seem to have trouble eradicating. Phone - 352-314-0131
Old 02-20-2011, 09:16 PM
Smile Halle

Hello,
We close on our ranch home in Santo Domingo this friday. We have been enjoying reading and learning so much over this great site in the past few years now, and feel as we know so many of you already. Thanks so much for all the wonderful information you guys have contributed.
Halle, can you please post the information for PTL so we can look into their services.
We look forward to meeting everyone at Crispers some time in the future.
Best wishes,
Ira and Mary Ellen
Old 06-17-2011, 11:14 AM
Sage

[QUOTE=Halle;331004

We have used PTL for over 3 years for all our lawn services including mowing,weeding and bush trimming, they also do all of the pest control inside and out. We are seasonal residents and having only one company provide all the services has worked out very well for us. PTL has been very quick to respond to any concerns we have had and our lawn is one the best looking in our neighborhood. When we become fulltime residents we plan on doing our own lawn maintenance and pest control, but we are very satisfied with PTL's services.[/QUOTE]

Halle, I'm wondering if you still are using PTL and if they're still doing a good job for you? We've just had calls from neighbours alerting us to the fact that our lawn is a mess. We need to switch lawn companies once again! I'm thinking that PTL may be a good option.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:55 AM

Smitty Etc. Is a great lawn service. He is young, full of energy, great work ethic. I have used him and recommended him several times. However, there are great points here. Never pay anyone in advance for anything, unless youhave a long history of him/her working for you and it is a minor deposit for a large job and never sign a contract for lawn service. You should pay month to month with no commitment. Smitty Etc. number is 352-561-1999
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.