Help with a singing (not very well) neighbor

Closed Thread
Old 06-19-2020, 07:31 AM
Veteran member
Default Glad

Honesty is the best policy .
Old 06-19-2020, 07:59 AM

First, this is hilarious; second, I feel your pain!!!
Hope you can resolve this.
Old 06-19-2020, 08:13 AM
Location: Near Sumter Landing; come down when we can; still live in Forest Hills, a suburb of NYC

Maybe you could try to enjoy the fact the someone is happy. Ever think of joining in? “Managing” someone else’s joy seems pretty dark.
Old 06-19-2020, 08:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

One thing about living here for any amount of time, a lot of us begin to lose our hearing.

Also, do you remember when it was considered o.k. to whistle while you work?

Oh sorry. That is another subject.

It was so lovely yesterday with a good breeze and I was working in the yard that I felt like singing "Zippity doo dah, Zippity A...My oh my what a beautiful day........

But then I remembered it is offensive on all kinds of levels.

AND the very first thing my little grandson said when he could speak clearly and I was singing him a lullaby was.............."No sing, Gran".

We humans. We just are always bumbling around...being happy.
Old 06-19-2020, 08:46 AM

Wonderful! That is always my way of handling things. As long as you speak without anger people are usually receptive!
I'm happy that you were able to resolve this.
Old 06-19-2020, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
I must sing pretty good because I never hear anyone complain.
Steve
Either that or your big NRA sign in your window.
Old 06-19-2020, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFER54 View Post
Take out your radio, and blast it every time this inconsiderable jerk sings. He’ll eventually get the hint, if not you start singing even louder OFF KEY.
Now, now don't be so insulting. He's not an inconsiderate jerk - he's probably only an ignorant jerk. Probably doesn't even realize he really sucks at singing and also doesn't realize others can hear his really sucky singing. He's probably only an ignorant moron. See, you don't have to be insulting.
Old 06-19-2020, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingal View Post
record him and play it back for him to hear how he sounds
Great Idea. I used to record my son throwing temper tantrums when he was in Junior High, and he would finally shut up when he realized we (sibling and I) were listening to him and laughing. It worked well!
Old 06-19-2020, 09:48 AM
Default Reality check

Okay let me put aside my jokes for a moment (hard to do) and discuss this realistically. First of all, you get what you pay for. Why do people move to the Villages? Let’s look at some pros and cons: Pros: Weather, no state income tax, Golf, Pickleball, Tennis, Softball, Water Volleyball, dancing, entertainment, restaurants, over 2,000 clubs and many other reasons. Cons: Noisy neighbor. Houses here are built close together. Why? Because you make more money selling 10 houses at $300k than 1 house for $1 million. Two screened in lanais facing each other would be like two driveways facing each other. Not much in the way of soundproofing or privacy. So we paid to get thousands of pros and very little cons. If privacy and lack of noise was your only consideration then you would have built a log cabin in the Georgia Mountains. Okay, the noise really bothers you. No, I’m not going to say move. Do what I do. I have over 10,000 songs on my computer. I have a nice Bose Bluetooth speaker. When I’m on my lanai I play music that I like. If I needed to drown out sound while I’m reading I can always put on my Bose noise cancelling headphones. Unless you stay in your lanai for extremely long periods and the neighbor is singing during that entire time, you should be able to endure it. Other suggestions like first getting to know your neighbor instead of flying off the handle are very reassuring. When I’m watching TV and wife starts vacuuming I turn up the volume significantly. I would warn against this as it can have unintended consequences. You know what I mean. Sorry couldn’t avoid the humor entirely.
Old 06-19-2020, 09:55 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFER54 View Post
Take out your radio, and blast it every time this inconsiderable jerk sings. He’ll eventually get the hint, if not you start singing even louder OFF KEY.
WOW!!! I'll take a singing neighbor over someone who thinks like this.
Old 06-19-2020, 11:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
WOW!!! I'll take a singing neighbor over someone who thinks like this.
Me too. Here is how I would sing if I could sing............and what I would sing if I could sing........Most of us miss being close to a lot of dear people we know and miss right now.

Karen Carpenter - The Carpenters - Close to You - YouTube
Old 06-19-2020, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maltieri View Post
Update - had a quick chat with my good neighbor. Didn't realize that the sound carried so far. TV is certainly not the quiet zone but awesome to know we're all considerate of each other!

Glad you had a nice talk to him. Most people here are cool about things like this but you could have always just started singing along with him and then you would only hear yourself!!!
Closed Thread

Tags
neighbor, lanai, aka, karaoke, music

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.