Help with a singing (not very well) neighbor

Closed Thread
Old 06-18-2020, 08:31 AM

Lol!
Old 06-18-2020, 08:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

An opening line in a conversation could be to ask if he takes requests!
Old 06-18-2020, 08:44 AM

That's the funniest thing I've heard in a while. The "visual" it creates is hilarious! Glad the problem was solved and after all...it's not the worst problem to have.
Old 06-18-2020, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maltieri View Post
We're new to Marsh Bend and have a neighbor who likes to sing. He heads out to his lanai at random hours (daylight luckily) and just starts belting out tunes. We wouldn't mind so much but unfortunately he's not on key very often and there's not even any background music (aka karaoke). Not trying to be mean but we'd like to enjoy our lanai without the 'serenade'. Appreciate others thoughts on how to manage this one !
Is it the "Morning is here" guy from Friends?
Old 06-18-2020, 09:19 AM

Take out your radio, and blast it every time this inconsiderable jerk sings. He’ll eventually get the hint, if not you start singing even louder OFF KEY.
Old 06-18-2020, 09:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,997 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Page View Post
Imagine.....singing while weeding!
Only while the drummers are drumming...
Old 06-18-2020, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
He had no clue people even noticed his singing and he was unaware it wasn't pleasant to hear if they did. He has stopped. He is embarrassed and humiliated. He will be outwardly polite to you, but he won't ever feel comfortable and confident around you. His wife said to him..."There is nothing wrong with your singing, don't let it bother you". Sometimes just overlooking minor things is the best thing to do. Unless you don't mind someone telling you that your butt crack shows when you are weeding.
Wow, that is a lot to read into, "I had a quick chat with my good neighbor."
Old 06-18-2020, 10:29 AM

It is good to know that you talked to him and he will be more considerate in the future. You dun good.
Old 06-18-2020, 10:44 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
We're new to Marsh Bend and have a neighbor who likes to sing. He heads out to his lanai at random hours (daylight luckily) and just starts belting out tunes. We wouldn't mind so much but unfortunately he's not on key very often and there's not even any background music (aka karaoke). Not trying to be mean but we'd like to enjoy our lanai without the 'serenade'. Appreciate others thoughts on how to manage this one !
Man, this is the toughest thing I’ve ever read on TOTV to solve. Maybe he wants to be discovered, LOL. Maybe you & your wife could scream out a tune yourselves & maybe he’ll think the same thing. This one has got me stumped!
Old 06-18-2020, 10:49 AM

Quote:
I don’t live in Marsh Bend, so I know it’s not the same gentlemen.. But I have a similar situation in my neighborhood.. Maybe once a week or every other week a gentleman opens his garage and starts singing.. It’s always during the day, not a great singer either, but he is happy..!
The songs are the oldies, I’m guessing from his youth. He is doing what makes him happy.. That is maybe why he retired to The Villages.. So while his singing is terrible, I sometimes take a glass of wine and go and sit on my lanai and listen anyway..
But that is just me.. we all have our triggers.. be it Wind Chimes, a barking dog, there will always be something...😊
Old 06-18-2020, 11:04 AM
Sage

Noise pollution is noise pollution it makes people uncomfortable.... I have sound cancelling head phones, ear buds etc.
Old 06-18-2020, 11:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Sound of music beats the smell of Cuban Cigar
Old 06-18-2020, 11:25 AM

Is he more annoying loud then 8 courts of pickleballers?
Old 06-18-2020, 11:47 AM

It is a common problem for amateur/wannabe 'musicians' to think they are better than they actually are. We deal with it all the time. LOL
That said, there is no illusion of privacy on lanais around here. All kinds of noise pollution abound. In fact, I can't even speak in a normal conversational tone outside without being constantly shushed by my spouse. He is so afraid somebody (anybody!) will hear whatever we are talking about. I have to whisper! Even with the pool waterfalls on to drown out noise, there is no laughing or having fun at our lanai. The neighbors might hear! We shush our dog if she barks, but he is not bothered by other barking dogs. Guess it helps to be hard of hearing. *shrugs*

Medicated Vet ... For your protection.
Quote from Boot Camp Company Commander: "I'm gonna have to issue you all plexi-glass belly buttons, so when you have your heads up your asses, you can at least see where you're going."
Old 06-18-2020, 12:02 PM
Sage

Lol, Navyvet, your post reminds me of my neighbor up north. She has two children one of them is hyperactive and loud. When they are in the garden and she notices that hubby and I are outside too and the little guy starts speaking in his usual loud voice, the mother who is a speech therapist, lowers her own voice to a whisper. The little guy whispers back “What?” And starts talking in a much quieter voice. She is teaching him to socialize appropriately at a young age. Many parents just give their child Ritalin the drug, to control the child’s behavior. But my neighbor was also a teacher, like myself.
Closed Thread

Tags
neighbor, lanai, aka, karaoke, music

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.