Hi! Future Resident Here!

Closed Thread
Old 11-22-2020, 06:58 AM
Default Hi! Future Resident Here!

I have been following the Villages Forums for years and now it is going to be my opportunity to become a formal resident. I am looking to purchase a home by May of 2021. Knowing that the Villages is such a large community, I am not even sure where to begin to look for a home. I would like to be closer to one of the Town Centers but not sure which one. I am in my late 50's and even though moving down there, I would still like to work part-time. Are there many opportunities for work throughout the Villages? I do have my CDL-B (passenger) and although it is currently from Ohio, I am hoping to transfer it to Florida.
Old 11-22-2020, 07:04 AM

Schedule

The Village's Experience

While here you will visit with a Village's real estate salesperson. That individual is an employee of The Villages; not a real estate agent. You must also schedule time to visit with an MLS agent.

Both will listen to your questions and respond with their opinions.

I will not recommend a real estate agent; although I am sure that successive posters will
Old 11-22-2020, 11:48 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amohernyikes View Post
I have been following the Villages Forums for years and now it is going to be my opportunity to become a formal resident. I am looking to purchase a home by May of 2021. Knowing that the Villages is such a large community, I am not even sure where to begin to look for a home. I would like to be closer to one of the Town Centers but not sure which one. I am in my late 50's and even though moving down there, I would still like to work part-time. Are there many opportunities for work throughout the Villages? I do have my CDL-B (passenger) and although it is currently from Ohio, I am hoping to transfer it to Florida.
There are no new houses near any of the three town squares so if that's a "must", then you need to look at pre-owned homes. That opens you up to using both Villages realtors and independent realtors (new homes are sold through Villages realtors only).

Between The Villages itself and the surrounding communities (Wildwood, Oxford, Lady Lake, Fruitland Park and Leesburg), there are certainly jobs available, a good share of which would be part-time. Whether there are any jobs you are qualified for and would be interested in is something probably none of us on this forum can answer.

Your best bet is to come down and stay for a couple of weeks, perhaps trying one of the week-long "lifestyle visits" offered by The Villages. You could also look into visits at any of the many, many other retirement communities in the area and throughout Florida. None of them are exactly The Villages (I'm prejudiced, obviously!) but many of them are quite nice and may or may not be more to your liking. Some folks will even argue that you should rent here for a month or two (or longer) before deciding whether or not to move here and where in The Villages you'd want to buy into. My wife and I skipped all those steps, just bought and moved in and have never had a days regret about it but your mileage may vary.

While here, you can hook up with one or two realtors and get a sense of what is available. I'm not sure how you go about looking for jobs as I am SO over working for a living. Are there still employment agencies? I don't really know. Between now and then you could prep yourself by A) figuring out exactly what you're looking for in a house; what's important and what's not, B) figuring out your budget for a house and C) researching whether or not this CDL-B (passenger) thing you mention does transfer or how easy it is to get the comparable thing in Florida.

You might also want to really think about whether or not you plan on being a full-time resident or a seasonal snowbird. Coming from Ohio, Florida will seem incredible in the late fall, winter and early spring. However, summers here (which really run about 5 months of the year) can seem brutal to the uninitiated. My wife and I living in Michigan all our lives, then moved to North Carolina for 20 years before retiring here so we acclimated ourselves to the summers. Now we don't think they're a big deal. Some snowbird friends of ours can't fathom living here in the summer.

In the meantime, if you think of specific questions, this forum is an excellent resource. Many folks here are eager to help out with answers and insight. Before moving here 4 years ago, I pestered the forum with questions and always got helpful replies.

Last edited by JerryLBell; 11-22-2020 at 11:54 AM.
Old 11-22-2020, 12:17 PM

Quote:
I am also from Ohio, you need to rent in several areas to really grasp the total V. There are overwelming options to consider. Come down a few times and stay in different areas before making a big decision like this, my 2 cents
Old 11-22-2020, 06:21 PM

Thank you. This is beneficial. I know that I will be having to purchase a pre-owned home due to my budget. I appreciated the recommended areas that you have noted. I have been down there a few times on the Stay and Visit package and will plan on doing that again soon. Hopefully, February.
Old 11-23-2020, 07:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Thank you. This is beneficial. I know that I will be having to purchase a pre-owned home due to my budget. I appreciated the recommended areas that you have noted. I have been down there a few times on the Stay and Visit package and will plan on doing that again soon. Hopefully, February.
I think a very common mistake is wanting to live near the squares. I think it more important to live near shopping and recreation and doctor's office.

Rent in the summer, it is cheaper. There are a range of prices of both new and used homes. Used aren't really that much cheaper than new. Since you are young it may be more fun to be in the Southern newer Villages where many are brand new like you.

Hurry home, new person. We will leave the lights on for you.

Last edited by graciegirl; 11-23-2020 at 07:40 AM.
Old 11-23-2020, 09:41 AM
Gold member

I agree about living close to the squares. After a while you really don't go there as much as when you first got here. Once you've seen the cheerleaders and the pom pom ladies is enough for me.
Old 11-23-2020, 12:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,037 Times in 5,329 Posts

We rented for a month last summer and purchased our home beginning of 2020.

Would strongly suggest you stay for at least a month to explore and talk to people about pros and cons of different areas.

Also spend a lot of time on hear reading peoples comments.

Good luck
Old 11-23-2020, 11:09 PM
John41

Quote:
When we bought in 2006 we wanted to be close to LSL for the quaint sense of community it gives, not like being in urban sprawl which, sorry to say, some of The Village is becoming. We are 1 mile from LSL and still shop/eat/ enjoy the lake though not as often. A bonus is that Winn Dixie has a supermarket there which is convenient for quick trips for groceries. Also within 5 miles is tons of shopping along 466 and 466a. Also 441. I can see the term Hometown being used to areas around the squares, but the new areas seem like sprawl to me. I do like the new home designs but they do not, to me, seem to have a sense of Hometown yet.

There are plenty of jobs in The Villages, no problem there.
Old 11-24-2020, 07:38 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I think a very common mistake is wanting to live near the squares. I think it more important to live near shopping and recreation and doctor's office.

Rent in the summer, it is cheaper. There are a range of prices of both new and used homes. Used aren't really that much cheaper than new. Since you are young it may be more fun to be in the Southern newer Villages where many are brand new like you.

This is good advice.
Old 11-24-2020, 01:59 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

Grace gives good advice! Just to add, the pre-owned homes are often more expensive than new for two primary reasons.

1. The pre owned homes will often have upgrades, newer flooring, plantation shutters, premium landscaping, decorative drives and sidewalks, enclosed lanais, and more
2. The new homes are priced to sell as an incentive to purchase, but take the bond into account.

Renting for awhile is a very good idea, unless you find your dream home in your dream location right away. Also, as I presume you know, The Villages salespeople cannot sell MLS homes, and outside realtors cannot sell Villages listings, so to get a comprehensive overview you will need to explore both. Also check with Zillow to see homes that are for sale by owner.
Good luck, in my opinion you can’t go wrong with new or used in any Villages location.
Old 11-24-2020, 06:03 PM
John41

Quote:
Look at all three squares then choose a home in the vicinity of the one you like best. All the squares have good shopping/medical nearby as well as activities. Don’t be fooled by anyone saying otherwise.

1. Spanish Springs is the oldest town square themed like an old Spanish Mission town. It has The Sharon , which is a church converted to a show palace for great live top notch entertainment. The square has dancing water fountains and lots of places to eat and see a movie and listen to free nightly live music .You can bank there as well as visit various professional offices. A regional rec center is just around the corner set on lake Mira Mar which has various water activities. Next door to Spanish Springs is a large shopping center with everything you need as well as many stores along Rt 441 Home Depot , Walmart etc. The Villages Hospital and many medical offices are nearby.

2. Lake Sumter Landing is the second square built and lies on the shore of beautiful Lake Sumter. It is themed like an old seafaring town with docks, a boardwalk, light house themed restaurant and a square with nightly free music lined with many quaint shops, banking, movies, etc.There is boating on the lake as well. A medical center is next to the square. Good shopping just a few miles away on rt 466 or 466a Lowes, Walmart, Publix, etc. It also has a Winn Dixie grocery store right in town for quick food shopping trips. Lake Miona rec center is nearby for lots of fun activities.

3 Brownwood is the last square built and has an old west cowboy theme. Like the other squares it has shops, movies, a free nightly music square and a shopping center next door. It also has a newly built health center next door for medical needs. It is the closest square to the new homes being built south of route 44. It is close to Einsenhower rec center for club activities.

If you are on a budget there are villas within walking distance of Spanish Springs as well as well maintained, affordable mobile homes across the street in Orange Blossom Gardens. The other squares are newer and will be more expensive but look anyway, there are some bargains.

There are numerous transportation companies around so finding a job should not be difficult. Wages might be lower than you are used to though as this is Florida.

Last edited by John41; 11-24-2020 at 08:27 PM.
Old 11-24-2020, 08:22 PM

A couple other tips not yet mentioned.

Consider your needs:
- Do you want natural gas? If so, there are some areas that have it and some that don't.
- Are you sensitive to noises? If so, avoid the far west near train tracks, too close to the turnpike, and too close to pickleball courts or golf tee boxes.

We are relatively new owners and visited several times and visited many areas before we made our decision.

But almost everybody ends up loving their choice.
Old 12-27-2020, 04:30 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

If you buy just south of Sumter Landing you are somewhat central to all the squares. Longest ride would be to Brownwood. Between all the positions The Villages have plus all the shopping and restaurants, there are plenty of part time jobs. Good luck.
Old 12-27-2020, 05:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,037 Times in 5,329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom M View Post
A couple other tips not yet mentioned.

Consider your needs:
- Do you want natural gas? If so, there are some areas that have it and some that don't.
- Are you sensitive to noises? If so, avoid the far west near train tracks, too close to the turnpike, and too close to pickleball courts or golf tee boxes.

We are relatively new owners and visited several times and visited many areas before we made our decision.

But almost everybody ends up loving their choice.
Rumor has it the average Villager buys three homes before they decide this is the one.

The more time you are here before buying could save you a lot of money in real estate fees.
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, home, work, resident, cdl-b

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.