A honey pot on the end of a drive way in Mallory Square

Closed Thread
Old 08-11-2018, 12:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
The reason is OSHA.

Sanitation. - 1926.51 | Occupational Safety and Health Administration And they are for real people, working in the outdoors. I would want them to be treated decently.
I don't find the portable toilets offensive, they are there for a reason. We see them everywhere here in The Villages as people add on or do projects. It isn't a choice made by the homeowners or by the contractors. If Contractors didn't follow guidelines there would be a huge outcry, I would think.

We had three for some reason when our home was being built. We were on site every day and never noticed an odor. I do think they are frequently serviced. There is one now, down the street and it has been there for several months. No one ever mentions it. I can see it from our front porch.

I would hazard a guess that the reason they are near the street is that they are serviced.
Thanks for the link and the sentiment.

It isn't outrageous. And I wouldn't want some heavy lifting piece of equipment digging up the yard trying to put the porta-john out of sight.

As to the poster thinking to ban home improvements in TV... People make improvements to homes everywhere. There would be something un-American about banning that. And it's not like you're installing a permanent outhouse fixture. Besides, where would people have the workers go to use facilities? Would you want them to stop work and leave the premises? Maybe that poster would, so to him, don't answer that!
Old 08-11-2018, 01:12 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,619 Times in 1,763 Posts

Would this meet the CC&Rs in TV?

My outhouse mailbox | Decor ideas | Pinterest | Mail boxes, Box and Mailbox ideas

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 08-11-2018, 02:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Residents may not share your humor.
Old 08-11-2018, 02:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:

We had three for some reason when our home was being built. We were on site every day and never noticed an odor. I do think they are frequently serviced. There is one now, down the street and it has been there for several months. No one ever mentions it. I can see it from our front porch.

I would hazard a guess that the reason they are near the street is that they are serviced.
Several months? Heck, they build a Village in that time frame.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Old 08-11-2018, 05:03 PM
Veteran member

It's a new cheap way to add a half-bath. Some even come with flowers in side. Cool.

"I never made a mistake in my life . I thought I did was once, but I was wrong" Charles Schulz
Old 08-11-2018, 05:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
Several months? Heck, they build a Village in that time frame.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
You know, Chi, I often wonder. Our pool and bath took three months. I have watched others take much longer and I wonder if the owner made changes midway. We left them to their work and were pleased with the outcome.
Old 08-11-2018, 06:19 PM

Just take a deep breath and try to smell the roses.
Old 08-11-2018, 06:53 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool What has Happened to our Standards

What has happened to our standards when some believe that a Port A John actually improves their home and neighborhood beauty. Count me out on that one.
Old 08-11-2018, 06:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Residents may not share your humor.
Actually my first choice would be the pink flamingo mailbox. Pin by Linda Mason on Flamingo | Pinterest | Mail boxes, Pink flamingos and Flamingo

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 08-11-2018, 07:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser View Post
This has been sitting on the end of this resident's driveways for days. It is not being used. Nor has it been touched. Can I report this? If so to whom? It's an eyesore.

The Villages Florida
It's a pretty bright orange...that's fer sure.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
It's a pretty bright orange...that's fer sure.
And one size fits all...

Old 08-11-2018, 07:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
And one size fits all...
Methinks not.
Old 08-12-2018, 06:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

Is there some reason why these construction workers aren't able to use the local pool's rest rooms on days when they're on site? Or why homeowners who are having work done on their property, don't allow those workers to use THEIR bathrooms? The only time we have portapotties in our area is if they're doing major road construction on the state roads and are expected to be there more than a few days in a row. Amazingly enough, the workers have no problem holding it in til break time, at which point they walk or drive to the nearest public rest room.

Maybe Connecticut state construction crews have better control over their bladders than Floridian pool-installers?

Construction on private property here in Connecticut relies on the homeowner for use of the bathroom. And I've never heard of any homeowner who refused to allow the roofer in to take a pee.

Also I noticed there's no lock on that one. Don't they lock it when they're not there? This gated community isn't a "security-gated" community where you can't enter without being a resident or authorized visitor; anyone can get through these gates. You've had occasional (rare, but still, occasional) trouble with outsiders, why would you not insist the construction crew lock up when they leave every day?
Old 08-12-2018, 07:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Is there some reason why these construction workers aren't able to use the local pool's rest rooms on days when they're on site? Or why homeowners who are having work done on their property, don't allow those workers to use THEIR bathrooms? The only time we have portapotties in our area is if they're doing major road construction on the state roads and are expected to be there more than a few days in a row. Amazingly enough, the workers have no problem holding it in til break time, at which point they walk or drive to the nearest public rest room.

Maybe Connecticut state construction crews have better control over their bladders than Floridian pool-installers?

Construction on private property here in Connecticut relies on the homeowner for use of the bathroom. And I've never heard of any homeowner who refused to allow the roofer in to take a pee.

Also I noticed there's no lock on that one. Don't they lock it when they're not there? This gated community isn't a "security-gated" community where you can't enter without being a resident or authorized visitor; anyone can get through these gates. You've had occasional (rare, but still, occasional) trouble with outsiders, why would you not insist the construction crew lock up when they leave every day?
The pools aren't always close by. Sometimes there are as many as a dozen people working on a project. Sometimes their feet are dirty. This is very hot weather and these fine workers drink a lot to stay hydrated and don't sweat it all out. They need this necessary accessory close by. I am reasonably sure it is hotter and muggier than Connecticut. I can't speak to the bladders of workers here or there. I can't figure out why people are in such a tiz. We have had two pools put in in our small village of 53 homes in the last six months and of course as in all construction here there have been portapotties. Not one person even mentioned them and we gather together as a village about once a month.

What would be the purpose of locking the portapotty?
Old 08-12-2018, 09:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,046 Times in 2,737 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post

The porta potties really aren't that big a deal. Also, stop and think that many of the homeowners having work done are part time residents that might not be there when the work is being done so they are not able to let the workers use the bathrooms in their houses. Expecting the workers to go use a public restroom is also not a viable option. First, I wouldn't want to be paying workers by the hour to have to drive to another spot to relieve themselves. Much easier to hit the port a potty and get back to finishing the job. Second, many work crews are dropped off by the job foreman and then later picked up, so they don't have a ride handy to go relive themselves. Lastly, I would not want the workers doing a job on my property to have to "hold it" if the urge comes on them. I am guessing that they would do much better and more effecting work if they were not forced to hold in the business that is at hand.

As far as requiring the construction workers to lock up the porta potties, think again. They are construction workers, not the company that owns and is required to clean out the potties. So the porta potty company comes to clean up and empty the potty and it is locked, not good. And who is really worried about strangers sneeking into the mouth of their driveway to use the porta potty? If someone really needs to go that bad, then be my guest and go for it. Lots of us old people going out for walks would welcome an opportunity to conviently empty their bladders when the unwelcomed urge strikes them.
Closed Thread

Tags
end, touched, report, eyesore, mallory

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.