A honey pot on the end of a drive way in Mallory Square

Closed Thread
Old 08-13-2018, 02:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
The pools aren't always close by. Sometimes there are as many as a dozen people working on a project. Sometimes their feet are dirty. This is very hot weather and these fine workers drink a lot to stay hydrated and don't sweat it all out. They need this necessary accessory close by. I am reasonably sure it is hotter and muggier than Connecticut. I can't speak to the bladders of workers here or there. I can't figure out why people are in such a tiz. We have had two pools put in in our small village of 53 homes in the last six months and of course as in all construction here there have been portapotties. Not one person even mentioned them and we gather together as a village about once a month.

What would be the purpose of locking the portapotty?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
The porta potties really aren't that big a deal. Also, stop and think that many of the homeowners having work done are part time residents that might not be there when the work is being done so they are not able to let the workers use the bathrooms in their houses. Expecting the workers to go use a public restroom is also not a viable option. First, I wouldn't want to be paying workers by the hour to have to drive to another spot to relieve themselves. Much easier to hit the port a potty and get back to finishing the job. Second, many work crews are dropped off by the job foreman and then later picked up, so they don't have a ride handy to go relive themselves. Lastly, I would not want the workers doing a job on my property to have to "hold it" if the urge comes on them. I am guessing that they would do much better and more effecting work if they were not forced to hold in the business that is at hand.

As far as requiring the construction workers to lock up the porta potties, think again. They are construction workers, not the company that owns and is required to clean out the potties. So the porta potty company comes to clean up and empty the potty and it is locked, not good. And who is really worried about strangers sneeking into the mouth of their driveway to use the porta potty? If someone really needs to go that bad, then be my guest and go for it. Lots of us old people going out for walks would welcome an opportunity to conviently empty their bladders when the unwelcomed urge strikes them.
Well put and thank you both.
Old 08-13-2018, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser View Post
This has been sitting on the end of this resident's driveways for days. It is not being used. Nor has it been touched. Can I report this? If so to whom? It's an eyesore.

The Villages Florida
Is the resident having work done on the house? If so it’s the law there must be a portable pot. Call the number on the pot door, sometimes the company forgets to call in for a pickup, although that’s unusual because they pay by the day.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:13 AM
Default Ports potty

You could leave a house key out for the workers. I am sure they would rather use your bathroom than the porta potty.
A nice gesture would be a cold drink too.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:53 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Well put and thank you both.
I second that.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:13 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Having worked outside for a good many years I was glad the Porta Potty was there. Do you have any idea the lost time IF a guy or gal had to leave a job site every time they needed to go and then the truck on the site also goes. As for using your house think about that one they're doing work outside mud, heat ,water, filth do you really want that in your house? I think not. When the job is done it will leave. Guess some people have never worked outside. As for using the pools read some of the older posts about the how dare the workers use the bathroom at the pools they leave them a mess and I pay a fee for that they don't
Old 08-13-2018, 06:21 AM

Good Morning, To all concerned about the Porti Potty it is required by the State of Florida's Building Code if you take the time to look it up you will see you will be fined if it isn't on the job site for the workers to use on any job that is permitted through the county's for construction, So it really doesn't have anything to do with The Villages it's directed by the state.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:01 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I'm surprise that the people that live there don't complain about it. TV have to know it's there! Doesn't it have a Phone # on it to call?
Old 08-13-2018, 07:08 AM

The people may be starting a construction project. Typically the porta potty arrives before the contstruction starts. That's how it was for us.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:14 AM

They are doing construction. So, yes, it is supposed to be there.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser View Post
This has been sitting on the end of this resident's driveways for days. It is not being used. Nor has it been touched. Can I report this? If so to whom? It's an eyesore.

The Villages Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
I'm surprise that the people that live there don't complain about it. TV have to know it's there! Doesn't it have a Phone # on it to call?
Old 08-13-2018, 09:10 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,063 Times in 532 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Is there some reason why these construction workers aren't able to use the local pool's rest rooms on days when they're on site? Or why homeowners who are having work done on their property, don't allow those workers to use THEIR bathrooms? The only time we have portapotties in our area is if they're doing major road construction on the state roads and are expected to be there more than a few days in a row. Amazingly enough, the workers have no problem holding it in til break time, at which point they walk or drive to the nearest public rest room.

Maybe Connecticut state construction crews have better control over their bladders than Floridian pool-installers?

Construction on private property here in Connecticut relies on the homeowner for use of the bathroom. And I've never heard of any homeowner who refused to allow the roofer in to take a pee.

Also I noticed there's no lock on that one. Don't they lock it when they're not there? This gated community isn't a "security-gated" community where you can't enter without being a resident or authorized visitor; anyone can get through these gates. You've had occasional (rare, but still, occasional) trouble with outsiders, why would you not insist the construction crew lock up when they leave every day?
Seriously? You think I would go out for hours, leave my dogs at home, and let pool workers go in and out of my house? Even if I didn't have dogs who could get out. If you have a pool installed, feel free to tell T&D no need for a potty for your guys, that you'll give them a key to your house. Just when I think I've read it all here.......
Old 08-13-2018, 09:18 AM

This neighbor has obviously contracted major construction at their home with a reputable contractor. We had work done by T&D and they had one delivered before the work began, and had it picked up when the work was completed. Yes, an eyesore, but so convenient to keep their staff on task at our home during the project. The joke was, every contractor in the area would stop to use it to avoid driving all the way over to the pool restrooms. It will be a short-term inconvenience, but T&D told us it was Sumter County code for when they have a larger job. We noticed a neighbor had similar work done by a private contractor who did not provide the same services for their staff.....so that might be why you don't see them everywhere.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:39 AM
Location: Born and raised NYC raised the family on Long island, Now living the life

So in youropinion No one should be allowed to improve their home, if its anywhere near you ?? Nice guy
Old 08-13-2018, 04:56 PM
Veteran member

You can always use it in a pinch.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:12 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,620 Times in 1,764 Posts

Any walkers, runners or cyclists using it? At my age I never pass up a chance to go.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Closed Thread

Tags
end, touched, report, eyesore, mallory

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.