Hope to soon move to The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 04-08-2018, 09:06 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clawdio45 View Post
Regarding the hot summer weather: We are from the Chicago area, and worried about the heat in TV in summer. Then someone asked us whether, during the winter in Chicago, were we into outdoor winter activities like snowmobiling, skiing, ice skating or such. No? Then what did we do when it's cold outside? Stay in, of course. Or at least, only go from a heated home, to a heated car, to a heated destination. So, flip that 180 degrees. If it's too hot, stay in. Go from your air conditioned home, to an air conditioned car, to an air conditioned destination. And then, in winter, when your friends back north are shoveling snow, you can shake your head and wonder why it took so long to decide to move.
Hi Clawdio, I am also from the Chicago area. I have been able to rent in The Villages a few times in July and August, and I think it is wise for those thinking about being full-time residents to rent for a couple of weeks or as long as you can during the summer months to see if you can deal with a Florida summer.

As for me, I would much rather deal with heat and humidity then the snow and ice of a Chicago winter. As many have said before, you don't have to shovel heat and humidity. Golly gee, it's April 8, today's high temp. will be 38, and Chicago is supposed to get an inch of snow tonight.

Looking forward to the day when I can give away my snow brush and sidewalk ice melter and move to Central Florida.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,278 Times in 807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clawdio45 View Post
Regarding the hot summer weather: We are from the Chicago area, and worried about the heat in TV in summer. Then someone asked us whether, during the winter in Chicago, were we into outdoor winter activities like snowmobiling, skiing, ice skating or such. No? Then what did we do when it's cold outside? Stay in, of course. Or at least, only go from a heated home, to a heated car, to a heated destination. So, flip that 180 degrees. If it's too hot, stay in. Go from your air conditioned home, to an air conditioned car, to an air conditioned destination. And then, in winter, when your friends back north are shoveling snow, you can shake your head and wonder why it took so long to decide to move.

///

Last edited by rustyp; 05-19-2018 at 06:45 AM.
Old 04-08-2018, 07:40 PM
Platinum member

For me, cold is painful. Summer heat at times is uncomfortable but I much prefer it to cold. I play tennis or golf almost every morning in the summer and am in the pool in the afternoons. We like to go to the squares when the sun is beginning to set as there is almost always a breeze. I don't find the heat that different from Ohio except that it lasts longer.
Old 04-08-2018, 07:43 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPutnam1863 View Post
Good luck.

Yet it amazes me that it seems none of the TVers have bothered to explore other communities first before deciding on TV.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:33 AM

You should try the life style program. TV puts you up in a model home for a small cost. You get to see everything. If you like it you will not need 3 months to figure it out. One week and you will know. However i have found once you move here the first year is a whirlwind, doing everything possible. Then you settle in. Pick what you love and you are here. It is a wonderful life. As my friend says "Ah livin the dream"
Old 04-09-2018, 06:38 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by deebrock View Post
You should try the life style program. TV puts you up in a model home for a small cost. You get to see everything. If you like it you will not need 3 months to figure it out. One week and you will know. However i have found once you move here the first year is a whirlwind, doing everything possible. Then you settle in. Pick what you love and you are here. It is a wonderful life. As my friend says "Ah livin the dream"
One week was enough for us also. Went back sold our home and moved here 8 months later. That was 2 years ago and we are still loving it, no regrets at all.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:07 AM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I would like to know how in the world you know that nobody but a few did any exploring. You don't live here, do you?

Even if you are somehow correct, how many people do you know that regret moving here? I can think of three former forum members.
Having moved 24 times, I can attest that the only way to really get to know the place is to actually live there. This is why I recommend renting for at least a year.

By the way, we lived in Melbourne three times for a total of 8 years, and while there, I visited friends in TV many times and had chances to do some exploring and hear stories straight from the TVer's mouth. Also in Melbounre we had a good friend who had relatives working and living in TV. Yes, I know of several people who regretted moving there due to the heat but could not afford to move back or were too embarrassed to admit their mistakes. But I also know of several who said they loved it there especially during the winters which I can certainly understand very well. After discovering how hot and humid it really was, some of them sheepishly stayed with their northern friends and relatives for 2-3 months.
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, hope, move, furniture, moved

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.