Hope to soon move to The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 03-12-2018, 05:08 PM
Default Hope to soon move to The Villages

My name is Sherry. I am waiting for my info packet for The Villages. Hope I can "sell" my husband on it. He's willing to move only to please me and mom. He loves PA. Yuck! If I'm lucky enough to be able to get out of the depressing, frozen (half the year) North, we will need to rent first. Hoping it will be a 3 bedroom. My mother is living with us also. We don't know anyone in The Villages but an online friend told me her cousin visited someone there and loved it so much she sold her house with all the furniture and moved into The Villages.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:37 PM
fw102807

If 3 storms in a row doesn't convince him I don't know what will. Seriously though most people who come here are very pleasantly surprised. It's not as much a place to live as a lifestyle.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA2Elsewhere View Post
My name is Sherry. I am waiting for my info packet for The Villages. Hope I can "sell" my husband on it. He's willing to move only to please me and mom. He loves PA. Yuck! If I'm lucky enough to be able to get out of the depressing, frozen (half the year) North, we will need to rent first. Hoping it will be a 3 bedroom. My mother is living with us also. We don't know anyone in The Villages but an online friend told me her cousin visited someone there and loved it so much she sold her house with all the furniture and moved into The Villages.
Are you still working? Employment here is not as broad a choice as that in Pennsylvania.

Take your time and come to visit and see what your husband has to say. Most people love it here but an unwilling spouse can ruin your happiness.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:46 PM

Be sure, hubby drives a golf cart around the squares, restaurants, groceries, shopping, appointments...DONE DEAL...
Old 03-12-2018, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Are you still working? Employment here is not as broad a choice as that in Pennsylvania.

Take your time and come to visit and see what your husband has to say. Most people love it here but an unwilling spouse can ruin your happiness.
graciegirl, I saw a few of your posts even before I put my first one on. Looks like you really reach out to newcomers or maybe I remember you from your photo. Husband is retired. I'm disabled but plan to be a landlord -- somehow. We're pensioners so we're not desperate. hehe! If we have to rent a year before buying, so be it. If he sees we're really happier here, he'll be happy. He's really tired of our complaining about the north,...PA....
Old 03-12-2018, 06:43 PM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

Quote:
Good luck.

Yet it amazes me that it seems none of the TVers have bothered to explore other communities first before deciding on TV.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

Sent you a PM, we are from PA also.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPutnam1863 View Post
Good luck.

Yet it amazes me that it seems none of the TVers have bothered to explore other communities first before deciding on TV.
I think you assume incorrectly. Most of the people I know who live here are widely traveled.

I was surprised about The Villages because they were uninterrupted niceness. So much of Florida is a tourist destination with all of the kind of not pretty things that go with that and lack of zoning is evident in most places.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:41 PM

We are in Ohio and as soon as our house sells, we will be on the road to the Villages half of our stuff is packed already. In fact as I get older the more I hate the cold and winter months. We already have our house picked out to buy in the old section, as long as it is not sold before we sell our home. The one thing I think about is that you can be as active all year long compared to about 7 months in Ohio. That's got to be good for your health in our later years. Over the years there have been several friends have moved down to the area here.
Does your husband play golf or tennis, or enjoy fishing or boating, there is plenty of that here in the villages.
If you are unsure about your husband liking the area, it would probably be a good idea to rent for a year or so, then maybe he can establish some friendships first, that may help him ease into the community better. Also the villages has entertainment on one way or another almost every evening that is very popular. Also many fine dining areas and lounges.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:18 PM

Take the lifestyle visit....a great way to experience the villages. It is relatively cheap $99-$159 a night, you get a fully furnished villa, golf cart, passes to play golf and use all of the amenities while you are here. Take one of the trolley tours that are free. Once you try it....you will see why everyone moves here over all of the other choices in Florida! New friends to meet around every corner!
Old 03-13-2018, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I think you assume incorrectly. Most of the people I know who live here are widely traveled.

I was surprised about The Villages because they were uninterrupted niceness. So much of Florida is a tourist destination with all of the kind of not pretty things that go with that and lack of zoning is evident in most places.
"...uninterrupted niceness."

Best short description I've heard.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:53 AM

We purchased a home last year and are from Upstate NY. I would move in a heartbeat, but are concerned about the heat of summer.
We are planning to go in June to see just how "hot" it is and if we can tolerate it.

If you are interested in renting, our home is available from July- Dec 27th...It is also available in May.
The home is 2 bed 2 bath with a Queen size sleeper sofa in the living room.
You can view all the details on VillagersHomes4Rent.com..property 5160.
The golf cart is available for an additional $200 per month.

If interested, please call or text Jean- 585 694 3279 or email jricciuto@rochester.rr.com
Old 03-13-2018, 07:33 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,519 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPutnam1863 View Post
Good luck.

We lived in Florida for 7 years about an hours south of here. When we decided it was time to find our retirement location we looked at over a dozen different developments. All of them when The Villages was mentioned tried to compare themselves and say why they were better than The Villages. Most had some valid points on one or two items. When you look at the entire package of what is available here, none can come close.

A good many were less expensive than TV, some were more. TV was at about the 80th percentile for price, but at the top when you looked at all that was offered and available as far as activities and surrounding services.

If the initial price is the main concern, this is not the place. If you're looking for a place to settle down and die in your old age this isn't for you. If you're looking to live and have fun in your golden years, welcome to The Villages.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:36 AM

Sherry from PA, We are in the process of relocating to TV just as soon as we sell our home. We participated in the Lifestyle program in July 2012 (to see if we could stand the heat...which was less than what we experienced that summer 106 F in KS) and October 2017 (after Hurricane) just to make sure TV was going to "fit". Since we are far away from Florida, I looked on-line at numerous possibilities of other retirement communities and visited a competitor in Florida during our 2017 visit. While their homes may be less expensive, the activities in TV are so numerous that boredom would happen only if we chose that. While the activities are appealing, we struck up conversations with people wherever we were...even at Dunkin' Donuts in Brownwood. Everyone was so positive and friendly which confirmed our decision to choose TV. ToTV is a great way to learn more about TV from those who live here...and those who want to! I hope to meet some of these wonderful people who are regular posters on ToTV as they have secretly mentored our decision. Take the Lifestyle opportunity! Good Luck with your decisions!
Old 03-13-2018, 08:47 AM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

Quote:
graciegirl, I saw a few of your posts even before I put my first one on. Looks like you really reach out to newcomers or maybe I remember you from your photo. Husband is retired. I'm disabled but plan to be a landlord -- somehow. We're pensioners so we're not desperate. hehe! If we have to rent a year before buying, so be it. If he sees we're really happier here, he'll be happy. He's really tired of our complaining about the north,...PA....
Let's be realistic...he may be complaining about the heat and humidity during seven months of the year. Renting first for an entire year is the only way to be sure.
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, hope, move, furniture, moved

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.