How to become a Florida resident

Closed Thread
Old 09-24-2021, 01:48 AM

Yes to Hawkins
Old 09-24-2021, 05:38 AM

I agree with other posters about the gold dome. When we finally moved here they were very efficient about getting FL tags for our car.

This doesn’t pertain to OP’s question but this may be valuable for folks searching this topic in the future.

I became a Florida residents 8 years before moving to Florida.

St. Brendans Isle is a mail forwarding service located in Green Cove Springs near Jacksonville. Folks who live full time on boats and RVs need a mailing address.

The DMV in green cove is nearly next to the court house. I drove to green cove - transfered my out of state drivers license to Fl using the forwarding address (which is a street address). Walked the license to the court house where I domiciled and registered to vote.

Took less then an hour. From there I went to the nearest post office and processed for a passport.

Easy peasy!
Old 09-24-2021, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller703 View Post
Can anyone tell me how we go about making an appointment to become a resident, get a Florida drivers license, register to vote and whatever else we need to do, as a new homeowner in TV? I’m hoping with so many new residents, it will be a smooth process. Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks
If you have a leased car from another state make sure you call or get the forms from the Florida DMV to get the title transferred to Florida or you won't be able to register your car. This can take two weeks. The Florida DMV needs to fax the form to the state the car is registered to get the title. Most people are unaware of this extra step and delay.
Old 09-24-2021, 07:19 AM

I had to ride to Bushnell for my gun permit. They didn't handle that at the Pinellas locale.
Old 09-24-2021, 08:24 AM
Default Lake County DMV location (Lady Lake)

Quote:
Can anyone tell me how we go about making an appointment to become a resident, get a Florida drivers license, register to vote and whatever else we need to do, as a new homeowner in TV? I’m hoping with so many new residents, it will be a smooth process. Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks
If you live in Lady Lake, Lake County, you have to go to Leesburg DMV. If you’re leasing your car you have to request a transfer of title.

karengearhartrealtor@gmail.com
Old 09-24-2021, 10:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

Also keep in mind the payment options. They use a third-party vendor for credit cards, and you have to pay extra on top of whatever actual fees you're charged for the services, just to use a credit card.
Old 09-24-2021, 12:52 PM
Gold member

And don't forget, you'll also need to update all your directive documents to comply with Florida Statutes. Like Trusts, Living Wills, Power's of Attorney and Health directives. We used Michael Milhorn to complete all this for us.

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Old 11-20-2021, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
I just did this - I live in Sumter County - it was extremely easy/even pleasant for a DMV! Collecting the paperwork, filling the form out by a police officer, was the hardest part. Received license, car registered and registered to vote all in one meeting with the DMV rep. Walked out with new license, and tag for car. Title being mailed to me and vote card coming in the mail. I was in and out in 30 minutes! Unheard of in Virginia where you sit and wait 3 hours!

Tags & Registration - Randy Mask - Sumter County Tax Collector

Appointments - Randy Mask - Sumter County Tax Collector
Old 11-20-2021, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
I just did this - I live in Sumter County - it was extremely easy/even pleasant for a DMV! Collecting the paperwork, filling the form out by a police officer, was the hardest part. Received license, car registered and registered to vote all in one meeting with the DMV rep. Walked out with new license, and tag for car. Title being mailed to me and vote card coming in the mail. I was in and out in 30 minutes! Unheard of in Virginia where you sit and wait 3 hours!

Old 11-20-2021, 07:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,688 Times in 5,234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullys View Post

The vehicle titles are electronic. If you want a paper copy, I think you need to print one out.
Old 11-20-2021, 08:12 AM

Quote:
I actually live in Hawkins. Will I use the same location?
Yes. That’s where we live as well. Took us 30 minutes to finish everything. Couldn’t believe how smooth everything went.
Old 11-20-2021, 09:22 AM
Default Another vote for the gold dome.

Quote:
Thanks
Another vote for the gold dome Sumter Service Center, the tax collectors office actually. Good suggestion to go to the website to be sure you have the proper documents, but I did all three on Wednesday: drivers license, vehicle registration and voter registration. Pleasant efficient people. In and out in a little over an hour.
Old 11-29-2021, 11:42 AM

Everything is easier here to apply. I did it in the first few days after arriving to TV. Very pleasant experience. Bring your whole briefcase of documents though. Passport, Old License, Proof of residency in a utility bill, Car registration and pink slip.
Old 11-30-2021, 12:47 PM
Default Leesburg dmv

My wife and I went to the leesburg dmv this morning. It was a smooth and painless process.
Old 11-30-2021, 01:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:
Thanks

OP... it may be an advantage to declare yourself a Floridian before the end of the calendar year...I did that and it made it easier

I declared in the month of December and was able to file my prior state income tax return that year as a 'final return'

just a thought
Closed Thread

Tags
resident, florida, i’m, hoping, residents

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.