How conservative is the Villages?

Closed Thread
Old 02-05-2011, 05:09 PM
Default How conservative is the Villages?

As a retiring life-long democrat, I got worried on my recent visit to the Villages. In some of the literature, I noticed Limbaugh, Hannity, GW Bush and Rove pictured and/or mentioned. I saw nothing of Obama, Kennedy, Reid or Pelosi. Is it a ridiculous notion for me to even consider retiring in the Villages. I love the place, but I may hate the politics. Conservatives and liberals alike please advise. Thanks!

Last edited by Snoopy; 02-05-2011 at 05:10 PM. Reason: mispelled word
Old 02-05-2011, 05:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,163 Times in 436 Posts
Default surprising

last poll showed both represented about the same, give or take a few points....Please don't base your opinion on TOTV's political forum...Granted the Morses are Republicans, but that is all right...We share the same sun and fun....You will find many wonderful Villagers that willl welcome you with open arms, and I'm one of them....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
As a retiring life-long democrat, I got worried on my recent visit to the Villages. In some of the literature, I noticed Limbaugh, Hannity, GW Bush and Rove pictured and/or mentioned. I saw nothing of Obama, Kennedy, Reid or Pelosi. Is it a ridiculous notion for me to even consider retiring in the Villages. I love the place, but I may hate the politics. Conservatives and liberals alike please advise. Thanks!
Old 02-05-2011, 05:44 PM

I've lived here almost 7 years and as a proud liberal democrat from SoCal, it was a shock to the system. It seems to me that the conservative republican is far more prevalent here, and vocal. During the 08 elections, I had Obama stickers ripped off my golf cart while parked at Glenview and it boggled my mind that people this age would do such a thing. The newspaper is a bad joke, the developer's political leanings couldn't be more in your face - but given all that, I still love living here. I don't agree with a lot of people here, but I play golf with them, go to dinner with them and like quite a few of "them". I do, however, stand up for my beliefs and love to debate them on all issues. There are democrat clubs you can join to meet people of like mind, which sometimes is quite a welcome relief! When Palin, Beck and Bush come to town, I find other useful things to do that day and get quite a kick out of the local paper the next day. Until this country learns it's not "us" versus "them", we're not going anywhere.

So come join us and add to the discussion - Lord knows we could always use another democrat!
Old 02-05-2011, 05:46 PM
Default thanks

I appreciate your response. I feel better already! Retirement is still a couple of years off, but I am certainly close enough to want to begin some serious planning.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:50 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
Snoopy.... Welcome to TOTV! I learned a long time ago that there are two things I never discuss....politics and religion. I keep both to myself and it has worked well for me over the years.

I don't "feel" any covert [or overt] conservatism or liberalism in TV.... Come on down; be happy!
Old 02-05-2011, 05:57 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Snoopy - I have always considered myself a moderate - but here is TV that is considered radical left.

Other stuff about TV is great - and we all need to have good dialogue to keep this great country of ours working. So come on down...
Old 02-05-2011, 06:22 PM
Veteran member

I would have to agree that the political views of too many in The Villages are ultra-conservative. Fox News is considered gospel as well as their talking heads like Hannity, Rove, and even Glenn Beck.

Just stay off of the Politics forum on Talk of The Villages; laugh out loud when you see golf carts with anti-Democrat stickers; and go out of town when one of the unbalanced Fox News darlings has a book signing - and you will be happy.

Life is too short to argue politics with fools.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:36 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I am a diehard liberal. I've lived in Orange County, California (ULTRA conservative) and I'm quite sure that most Villagers would consider even that county too liberal for their taste. This is truly the only place I have ever been to where liberal is truly considered a dirty word by the majority. There is no question that Morse is a diehard conservative Republican.

I have found many closet liberals here -- they really don't let people know their political bent. I have also found that as more of the "younger" baby boomers buy here, there are more Democrats and liberals moving here daily.

I refuse to hide the fact that I'm a liberal. I do refuse to discuss politics with some of my friends -- it just gets too heated and I value their friendship to lose them over political issues. There are other friends where the discussions are friendly, informative and the arguments are downright fun. For those, we discuss, argue and then go have dinner together. Heck, I'll even admit to a stranger in the Square that I'm a liberal if the right topic comes up. It has made for some interesting and fun discussions.

Now, having said all of that, I LOVE TV. There are a plethora of activities for all tastes. Riding around in a golf cart almost all the time is fun. There is a generosity of spirit here that I've seen nowhere else on this planet. So, it is up to you if you want to get in discussions about politics. If you do, be prepared to feel like a serious minority (even though you really aren't as much of one as is believed). You won't be reviled for being other than a conservative (they may not like liberals here, but they'll like you as long as you're a good, happy person). TV isn't perfect, but it is a wonderful slice of good, old-fashioned apple pie (ala mode, of course) at the very least.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-05-2011, 09:01 PM
Veteran member

Redwitch-

You forgot to include Trivia Night at Urban Flats as something to do!!
Old 02-05-2011, 09:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
Snoopy.... Welcome to TOTV! I learned a long time ago that there are two things I never discuss....politics and religion. I keep both to myself and it has worked well for me over the years.

I don't "feel" any covert [or overt] conservatism or liberalism in TV.... Come on down; be happy!

Bill
Old 02-05-2011, 09:49 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post

Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post

Memason, as a newly arrived to TV I'm glad to hear that said. I can only hope that should demographics change in the future, that it will continue to remain that way.
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 02-05-2011, 10:34 PM
Default How Conservative is The Villages

I agree with others that said its best to keep politics out of normal discussions between friends. I have found The Villages no different from other places I have lived except maybe The Villages showing more of outward appreciation and respect of our service man and women. Before we decided to buy in The Villages I researched many websites, books and magazines. I used a website called bestplaces.net which has its flaws but is an interesting tool to compare cities such as cost of living, taxes, school costs, and many others including voting registrations. Since The Villages is in 3 counties some of the data only shows Lady Lake but it indicates over 60% Republican and less then 40% Democrat at this time, do not know if it is accurate but it is interesting to compare areas. Mount Laurel NJ is shown as 15% more expensive to live then The Villages which I think is mostly accurate. Hope this helps others in making the decision if to buy in The Villages, we are glad we did.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:54 PM
Veteran member

Dear Snoopy, I am a Democrat. My father told me many years ago that there are 3 things that should not be discussed outside of family: religion, money and politics. Living in The Villages, I know how right he was. But I don't let it get me down. There is a very active Democratic Club here that meets every third Saturday at the Odell Recreation Center. Next meeting is Feb. 19 at 9:30 a.m. Come, be welcomed, and meet some of your like-minded neighbors. You are not alone. 900 new Democrats were registered last year in Sumter County.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:12 AM
Veteran member

That isn't a consideration for us as we are going to settlement and moving down full time in hopes of NOT talking politics. Certainly there is way more to do than get into partisan arguments, unlike up here in the snowy north where it is about all people seem to do. We are becoming villagers to escape "political persecution" LOL

Talk politics to me and you will find a stone wall more knowledgeable and probably cares more too!

Old 02-06-2011, 07:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I sadly find that too many friendships here are much more colored by political affiliation than where I have lived before.

I think that older people become much more certain of all of their views and stands and values and are not as open to other peoples ideas as younger people. So I think as a community we are a little more intolerant of others political views and sometimes a LOT more intolerant. It doesn't make for comfortable living sometimes and I find it a downside of living here.

I sometimes read and feel the bitterness in peoples views here and it saddens me.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.