How conservative is the Villages?

Closed Thread
Old 02-06-2011, 08:06 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljones190 View Post
I used a website called bestplaces.net which has its flaws but is an interesting tool to compare cities such as cost of living, taxes, school costs, and many others including voting registrations. Since The Villages is in 3 counties some of the data only shows Lady Lake but it indicates over 60% Republican and less then 40% Democrat at this time, do not know if it is accurate but it is interesting to compare areas.
Since you find the bestplaces data interesting, I thought you would enjoy the following voter registration stats obtained from the Florida Department of State's website:

Lake Co: 86,477 (R) 67,449 (D)
Marion Co: 89,506 (R) 83,324 (D)
Sumter Co: 31,128 (R) 22,127 (D)
Total: 271,111 (R) 172,900 (D)

These figures are as of 10/4/2010.

There were a significant number of "Other" affiliations, such as Independents etc., but their numbers were somewhat less than either Democrat or Republican figures. Also keep in mind that these figures are not TV inclusive; they represent the entire counties.
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 02-06-2011, 08:14 AM
Send a message via ICQ to dpingram
Default What difference does it really make?

I have never understood why this should make a difference in meeting people and having a friendship. Why is is so important to state one's policial affiliation here? When I meet someone for the first time I certainly do not shake their hand and say "Hi, my name is Donnie and I'm a _____". YOu certainly would not meet someone and state your religion or how much money you make. I think there are more important things in life to discuss than who you vote for. I agree with what some posters have said "outside of family do not discuss politics, money, or religion." We don't even discuss politics in family because some of our children and their spouses vote differently than we do but we didn't disown them. Then again maybe we should we'd have more money!
Taking liberties with Dr. Martin Luther King's "I Have a Dream" speech -- "one day my children will be judged by the content of their character and not by their polictical affiliation"
I am looking forward to living in TV and hope that when I meet someone my polictical affiliation won't be an issue.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpingram View Post
I have never understood why this should make a difference in meeting people and having a friendship. Why is is so important to state one's policial affiliation here? When I meet someone for the first time I certainly do not shake their hand and say "Hi, my name is Donnie and I'm a _____". YOu certainly would not meet someone and state your religion or how much money you make. I think there are more important things in life to discuss than who you vote for. I agree with what some posters have said "outside of family do not discuss politics, money, or religion." We don't even discuss politics in family because some of our children and their spouses vote differently than we do but we didn't disown them. Then again maybe we should we'd have more money!
Taking liberties with Dr. Martin Luther King's "I Have a Dream" speech -- "one day my children will be judged by the content of their character and not by their polictical affiliation"
I am looking forward to living in TV and hope that when I meet someone my polictical affiliation won't be an issue.

I could NOT agree with you more but once you "settle in" the politics do become an issue among a LOT of folks. AND I think that our age is a factor, you become a little more set in your ways and sure of your views as you pass through five or six or seven decades of life and you believe that you are right.

I was taught NOT to discuss religion, politics and money. I try hard not to. Others, particularly those who like you, frequently assume that your politics and theirs are the same..............and feel free to bring up the subject.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:24 AM
Default How Conservative is The Villages

Skyguy79

It appears 60% to 40% is about right. Thanks for the data. As you noted it's difficult just to get data only for The Villages.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:26 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljones190 View Post
I agree with others that said its best to keep politics out of normal discussions between friends. I have found The Villages no different from other places I have lived except maybe The Villages showing more of outward appreciation and respect of our service man and women. Before we decided to buy in The Villages I researched many websites, books and magazines. I used a website called bestplaces.net which has its flaws but is an interesting tool to compare cities such as cost of living, taxes, school costs, and many others including voting registrations. Since The Villages is in 3 counties some of the data only shows Lady Lake but it indicates over 60% Republican and less then 40% Democrat at this time, do not know if it is accurate but it is interesting to compare areas. Mount Laurel NJ is shown as 15% more expensive to live then The Villages which I think is mostly accurate. Hope this helps others in making the decision if to buy in The Villages, we are glad we did.
I agree re: keeping a low profile in conversations re: politics. I appreciate living here due to the respect given our service people etc. and much more. I don't see it as a negative to live here at all. It is a 'bubble" as many people will attest to. We moved here from one of THE most liberal areas of the U.S. and that too can be a negative....just mho. If you don't care for the events where politiicians come...you don't have to participate. If you think you're going to come and change things then you probably shouldn't consider this place as somewhere you'd want to live. Again mho.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:22 AM
Veteran member

I'm a die hard liberal as well, and have been shocked by some of the right wing nut jobs I've come into contact with here in The Villages. That said, its a good sized community - I've developed my friendships based on activities and common interests, and find my large circle of friends includes mostly left leaning people like me, along with a few center-of-the-road types. For those I'm friendly with that I sense don't share my political views, we manage to just not discuss politics. I do find the bombardment of right wing nonsense in the Daily Sun to be annoying, so I get the Orlando Sentinel. There are so many other wonderful aspects of The Villages, I wouldn't let the conservative political bent dissuade you from checking us out.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,163 Times in 436 Posts
Default I've noticed

that as we age, we are less diplomatic....I've also noticed that few if any conservatives have added to this thread from TOTV's political forum...Another observation, usually TOTV's political forum has the same posters, saying the same thing....Life is good here in the Villages and I find it easier to avoid the very few unhappy people... I know debate is a good thing, IF, you are considerate and open minded to others opinions and don't jam it down their throats....Bottom line when we go to the polls, we are ONE vote, after that, we can go play golf...
Old 02-06-2011, 09:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
that as we age, we are less diplomatic....I've also noticed that few if any conservatives have added to this thread from TOTV's political forum...Another observation, usually TOTV's political forum has the same posters, saying the same thing....Life is good here in the Villages and I find it easier to avoid the very few unhappy people... I know debate is a good thing, IF, you are considerate and open minded to others opinions and don't jam it down their throats....Bottom line when we go to the polls, we are ONE vote, after that, we can go play golf...
Beautifully said.

I can't stand the heat, so I try to stay out of the kitchen.

The only thing that MIGHT change someone's mind is how one lives his/her life.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:59 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
except for one thing... not all of us can go play golf!
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 02-06-2011, 09:07 PM
Sage

Snoopy, Thank you for bringing up this topic. Being a moderate to liberal person, I have been wondering about this myself in regards to moving to TV in a few years. About 90% of the time, I can get along with just about anyone regardless of their political persuasion. I've managed to work for almost 23 years in an office dominated by more conservative coworkers without a problem. I won't hide how I feel, but I won't push it on anyone either. I won't let the more conversative tilt of TV be a deterrent to me moving there at some point in the future.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:46 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
Snoopy.... Welcome to TOTV! I learned a long time ago that there are two things I never discuss....politics and religion. I keep both to myself and it has worked well for me over the years.

I don't "feel" any covert [or overt] conservatism or liberalism in TV.... Come on down; be happy!
I agree. We had to ask a friend to stop sending political jokes to our email as we disagreed on alot of the issues.

How about open mindedness; why Republican or Democrat. Yes we "lean" R but have voted for the best candidate even if a D.

In fact Buddy Dyer (D) has ours for Orlando mayor.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
As a retiring life-long democrat, I got worried on my recent visit to the Villages. In some of the literature, I noticed Limbaugh, Hannity, GW Bush and Rove pictured and/or mentioned. I saw nothing of Obama, Kennedy, Reid or Pelosi. Is it a ridiculous notion for me to even consider retiring in the Villages. I love the place, but I may hate the politics. Conservatives and liberals alike please advise. Thanks!
Snoopy,
to TOTV!

Here's one way to look on the bright side. If you feel comfortable where you live now because it is solidly blue, consider this: Florida is a swing state. OK, quit snickering y'all. I don't mean it in the kinky sense.

I mean that in a solidly red or solidly blue state (or community), one more vote red or blue vote isn't going to make much of a difference. In a "swing" state, it does. So if you're passionate about your politics, come on down. Just look at it as you're vote counting more here.

Ok, quit snickering y'all. Hanging chads. Sheesh!
Old 02-06-2011, 11:00 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
Snoopy,
to TOTV!

Here's one way to look on the bright side. If you feel comfortable where you live now because it is solidly blue, consider this: Florida is a swing state. OK, quit snickering y'all. I don't mean it in the kinky sense.

I mean that in a solidly red or solidly blue state (or community), one more vote red or blue vote isn't going to make much of a difference. In a "swing" state, it does. So if you're passionate about your politics, come on down. Just look at it as you're vote counting more here.

Ok, quit snickering y'all. Hanging chads. Sheesh!
Good job PT - who I believe is also pretty much a moderate.

I have learned not to let birthers here run off at the mouth or espouse another sadly misinformed "facts" - I think we are responsible to be sure that if we disagree on something it is based on facts, not hearsay or misinformation...otherwise, I am with Gracie...

I LOVE the fact that we appreciate our military here ...
Old 02-07-2011, 01:20 AM
Location: formerly Logan, and Charleston, WV Currently The Village of Pennecamp

Ok, here's a response from a conservative. To be honest it was not even a consideration when I chose to move here. Only realized how conservative TV was after a few months. It wasn't that important that my neighbors and friends have the same political beliefs. After a little over a year and having met quite a few people from all aspects of TV for the most part I don't know if they are liberal or conservative and don't really care. I just don't think it should matter what political affiliation a person is. I guess what I'm saying is that we are so busy with fun things it rarely comes up and if it does we just agree to disagree and laugh and go on.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:14 AM
Gold member

My neighbor yells anti-anything but Republican epitaphs at FOX News as he uses his treadmill, but is about the best neighbor you'll find. The developer has deep pockets in his conservatism, but he's put together the very best retirement community on earth. I do get a little embarrassed when my friends see on the national news that "flash-in-the-pan" political leader wannabes are hawking their wares at Sumter Landing. It's a little hard to explain the public one-sidedness. We have a couple of handfuls of know-it-all, LOUD conservatives, waiting on the attack, but are pretty well contained in the Political Forum at TOTV. When they do wander out into the general population they are pretty civil and many are quite like-able. Come on down and become one of our silent majority. Reasonably minded Liberals, Moderates and Independents are building a significant power-base.

Xavier
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.