How conservative is the Villages?

Closed Thread
Old 02-11-2011, 03:26 PM
Platinum member

Gracie said, "A persons politics doesn't matter to me, but my politics might matter to them."

Which is why I personally never, ever mention my political views in any environment whatsoever! When the subject arises, it inevitably ends in a shouting match, usually hurtful! That's when I'll bow out! I just wish folks would

SWR
Old 02-12-2011, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
As a retiring life-long democrat, I got worried on my recent visit to the Villages. In some of the literature, I noticed Limbaugh, Hannity, GW Bush and Rove pictured and/or mentioned. I saw nothing of Obama, Kennedy, Reid or Pelosi. Is it a ridiculous notion for me to even consider retiring in the Villages. I love the place, but I may hate the politics. Conservatives and liberals alike please advise. Thanks!
Is this a joke? Really? All you asked about in the thread is political, and you are worried you will hate the politics. That is just to funny. Come on down, enjoy life and forget about all of it!

Mallory Square, Village of Hadley and now Gilchrist!
Old 02-12-2011, 05:14 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt and Gail View Post
Is this a joke? Really? All you asked about in the thread is political, and you are worried you will hate the politics. That is just to funny. Come on down, enjoy life and forget about all of it!
Thanks for throwing a flag on this play. On the face, it does seem a little ridicules to base where you will retire solely on local politics. TV is a big place with a lot of political diversity but no one really cares as long as you're having fun and you show some respect for each other. If politics is that important to you, I'm sure there's a club here for that. On the golf course, nobody cares if you hook or slice (I always play down the middle).
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:33 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by logdog View Post
On the golf course, nobody cares if you hook or slice (I always play down the middle).
But... if you yell "Fore" when teeing off, does somebody down the fairway yell "Against?"
History of Yelling Fore: http://golf.about.com/cs/historyofgolf/a/hist_fore.htmThe Villages Florida
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 02-12-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
As a retiring life-long democrat, I got worried on my recent visit to the Villages. In some of the literature, I noticed Limbaugh, Hannity, GW Bush and Rove pictured and/or mentioned. I saw nothing of Obama, Kennedy, Reid or Pelosi. Is it a ridiculous notion for me to even consider retiring in the Villages. I love the place, but I may hate the politics. Conservatives and liberals alike please advise. Thanks!

Coming from suburbs of Washington DC, fortunately we had the opportunity to hear both sides of the story. Down here it appears to be to the far right, down the street and around the corner, having said that I have met some of the nicest people ever and the majority are mature enough to use political etiquette . We politely avoid politics and enjoy TV for what it was meant to be…fun, fun fun!
and yes, there are a lot of Democrats here and more showing up.
Come on down, you will love it!
Old 02-12-2011, 06:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy79 View Post
But... if you yell "Fore" when teeing off, does somebody down the fairway yell "Against?"
History of Yelling Fore: http://golf.about.com/cs/historyofgolf/a/hist_fore.htmThe Villages Florida

One or two just might.............
Old 02-12-2011, 06:41 PM
Cool Choosing where to live by party?

From the beginning of this thread, I've thought the whole premise of choosing or ruling out a community to which one would move, based primarily on whether the majority party were or were not one's own, is absurd.

I mean really.....how many liberals moved to a foreign country because Bush got elected twice? Or how many conservatives moved out of New York because Hillary got elected as Senator? Or how many NYC voters moved out of NYC because they didn't like the fact that the mayor, Giuliani, was a Republican?

Or how many people have refused to move to Chicago because Richard M. Daley (D) has been mayor since 1989?

It seems more and more absurd as I think about it. Quality of life, crime rates, employment or income possibilities, CLIMATE, and many other factors would be at the top of the list of criteria for most people.

If the greatest risk you ever take is moving to TV while the majority of residents are conservatives, you have a pretty darn comfortable, untested existence. Better get ready for a life storm, because one is on its way for every person at some point in time, and being a member of the right or left is not going to help you survive it. Only God can over-ride all of it and get you through.....I wouldn't count on any finger-in-the-wind politician whose only concern is the next election to save me in a worst life crisis.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:10 PM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane52 View Post
.....It seems more and more absurd as I think about it. .
I personally don't ever tell anybody that their concerns are "absurd." Particularly when they are brand new to a group. The poster came here with the best of intentions and posted a question that was important to him/her.

What does he get, "absurd" comments.

You'll notice that he posted only twice and has not been back. Thank you.

jlk
Old 02-12-2011, 07:28 PM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default have to agree with TH

Although I have strong opinions....I wouldn't want to be in a place that had "in- your- face- people" of the oposite opinion. The original poster might have felt that could be the case since they said they were Democratic and then saw Palin etc being advertized.

I was disappointed to see the personal attacks and slanderous name calling mentioned here but as Red said it..... seems they are just dishing out what maybe they have received in the past...don't know...just disappointed . BTW I stay away from Political.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:28 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

It's one thing to live in an area where the majority are of a different mindset, it's another to live in a community where you only hear one side. TV coverage is one-sided -- conservative Republican. If we didn't have access to television, the internet and other newspapers, we really would have no clue what the Dems or Liberals or whatevers are offering in elections.

If you happen to be in the majority, you don't see it as an issue since you know you'll find people who agree with you. However, if you're in the minority, it is reasonable to be concerned that there are others you can discuss your viewpoints with without it becoming an issue. They are not "absurd" concerns.

This has nothing to do with the other great aspects of TV. It has to do with someone being concerned that they won't fit in. It is reasonable given what Snoopy saw of TV. Hopefully, enough non-Republicans and friendly Republicans have posted here so that Snoopy knows s/he will be welcome regardless of his/her political bent.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-12-2011, 08:03 PM
Sage

I think it only fair to say that people have very strong opinions on here and sometimes they get frustrated and angry.

Sometimes we behave in a mature manner and sometimes you see awful, hateful things posted.

I believe that every person has a story and if we knew it we would understand him or her better.

But then and again there are those folks who just won't quit, and that is when.............. I get the girls together.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

I am a very political person and believe it is not only our right to be involved but our duty to be involved. I have very strong opinions on politics. In the past, I was EXTREMELY involved in politics.

Having said that...I have lived in The Villages for over 10 years. In those 10 years, I have NEVER, NOT ONE TIME...ever heard anything political except at a gathering that was designated as a political gathering.....NOT ONE TIME. Of course there are remarks made concerning ANY political party in power...that is the way it is and always has been....if that concerned you then you should move every 4 to 8 years to escape it.

I will add....I was EXTREMELY involved in politics prior to coming to Florida in the Democratic party....I am now a Republican. I have NEVER lived anywhere where the paper did not show bias one way or another. I have lived where I was in the majority and I have lived where I was in the minority relative to political views. I have NEVER been subject to anything remotely close to anything that I would consider even uncomfortable as a result of my political views or the views of others.

It seems to me that someone who is using the political leanings of the community to decide where to live is being extremely shallow !
Old 02-12-2011, 08:32 PM
Veteran member

Very well written, Bucco.

I have heard only a couple of political comments from bystanders at the two town squares but they are never said in anger. If there are speakers or rallys you do not believe in, just do not attend. I did not attend the Glenn Beck rally or the Sarah Palin booksigning but I did not resent their coming to The Villages.

There is a Democrat Club as well as Republican Club and Tea Party Club. Be a part of politics if you want - or don't. It is a personal choice.

I, also, do not think you should decide whether or not to move to The Villages based on it being too conservative. Come to enjoy the activities and the people. This is a slice of Heaven. Enjoy it!!
Old 02-12-2011, 09:41 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
I personally don't ever tell anybody that their concerns are "absurd." Particularly when they are brand new to a group. The poster came here with the best of intentions and posted a question that was important to him/her.

What does he get, "absurd" comments.

You'll notice that he posted only twice and has not been back. Thank you.

jlk
Perfectly stated.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
What I forgot to say is Welcome. I certainly hope you will move here and be very, very happy.

The Talk Host said we ran you off. Please come back and prove him wrong.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.