How conservative is the Villages?

Closed Thread
Old 02-12-2011, 11:14 PM
Unhappy I apologize

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host
I personally don't ever tell anybody that their concerns are "absurd." Particularly when they are brand new to a group. The poster came here with the best of intentions and posted a question that was important to him/her.

What does he get, "absurd" comments.

You'll notice that he posted only twice and has not been back. Thank you.
jlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by katezbox View Post
Perfectly stated.
I am so, so sorry I wrote it was an "absurd" notion, and my words of apology will never be adequate nor make up for the insult I did without thinking of the writer who started the thread.

It's no excuse, but when I wrote that insulting adjective and rant, I was actually thinking of several liberal Democrat couples we know who absolutely will not even look at TV because they've seen that Palin, Beck, Bush, etc. have come here and drew big, adoring crowds. It's a shame to see that people who you know would love it here, and whom we'd love to see here, are dead set against even looking at TV because of political bent.

It is too late now, but what I should have written is that it is "bewildering to me" that someone would choose a place to live based primarily on one party majority or another prevailing. I'm ashamed of myself and I meant no disrespect for the writer.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:49 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Jane, that was a truly beautiful apology. Thank you for explaining what you meant. The sad thing about the internet is that it is to say the wrong thing and never even have a clue you were inadvertantly insulting. Being a liberal (not a liberal Democrat, an out-and-out liberal -- I don't see much difference between Dems and Republicans in the long run), I do understand Snoopy's concerns.

Had I known how Republican the bubble is, I might have hesitated to move here. I really would like to see political invitees of all sorts rather than have it limited to just one party, but it is what it is. I feel sorry for your friends. They're missing out on a wonderful way to live because of politics. If I can stand the political climate and love TV and its residents as much as I do, it truly has to be a great place to live. Their loss and, quite possibly, our loss as well if your friends are half as gracious as you are.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-12-2011, 11:49 PM

Wow! Well, this has certainly opened my eyes as to the way of TV. I am simply researching - I certainly didn't mean to offend. As far as the comments about making my decision based solely on politics, why would you assume that is the sole factor of my decision? I can see for myself all of the many things that TV has to offer. There are many factors that I am basing my decision on; I didn't need the assistance of this forum for that or other information. TV had been on my short list of possibilities, because of those numerous other factors. And while I, too, choose when, or if, I discuss politics with others (which I rarely do), I want to live where both sides of the spectrum are represented, where book signings or guest speakers include people from both (or should I say "all") parties. Apparently, many people misunderstood or misconstrued the intentions of my original post. Finally, I live in America, I would like to believe I can freely say I am a democrat-regardless of my address, it seems that may not be the case at TV. Thank you for your responses, I certainly learned a lot about TV.

P.S. The previous 2 posts came in while I was writing this post. I appreciate the apology. It was thoughtful and unexpected.

Last edited by Snoopy; 02-12-2011 at 11:59 PM. Reason: new posts
Old 02-13-2011, 12:45 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Snoopy, TOTV is a great forum, but not necessarily an accurate image of TV. I flinched at some of the comments made in this thread. Sadly, they weren't mean comments; they were just comments about being conservative and being happy that their friends and neighbors are as well (said in different ways, but that was the message I got).

Most of my friends here are (dare I say it???) Republicans. They know my viewpoints -- I can't keep my mouth shut to save my life. They love me anyway and I love them. The one thing that has been said that I totally agree with is don't let the political persuasion of the developer or even the majority here be a reason to not choose The Villages.

True, Democrats don't get to speak in the town squares, but they do in cities close to here, so we can hear all viewpoints. The Daily Sun is a great paper to find out daily activities. Otherwise, I read the Wall Street Journal. There is an active Democrat Club.

Should your political bent really be a factor whether or not to live here? Not really. It should be a consideration, but not a true factor. I put it in the same categories as Florida bugs -- they're around and a slight nuisance (especially the dang lovebugs) but nothing major in my day-to-day life. Hopefully, if you decide TV is the place for you, you'll have much the same attitude.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-13-2011, 12:58 AM

Redwitch, should I decide to further pursue TV as a possible retirement destination, we have to meet up! I have loved every one of your posts!! So politics aside, there are bugs? What about snakes??? That may trump politics!
Old 02-13-2011, 08:12 AM
Veteran member

Snoopy, Glad to see you're still with us.
A friendly Dem wants to meet you too.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:12 PM
Sage

I base friendships on good and caring people, not their political affiliations.

If a person is nice and fun to be around, I will treasure their friendship. I will be there for them in good times and in their time of trouble and be as helpful as I can.

My personality is as such: I do not want to be around people who have strong personalities in that everying they say, one has to agree with or there is a big discussion. I agree we disagree would be to last thing I would need to say. I would go onto the next friendship if that doesn't meet their criteria of having to agree wholeheartedly with them. I also don't force my opinions on others.

"A person convince against his/her will is of the same opinion still".

I am still a wannabe who plans on having fun and I won't let anyone rain on my parade.

Life is too short to be too little.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:18 PM

Extreme sway in conservative direction as evidenced by the Opinion page of the newspaper and the fact that a democratic candidate would NEVER be invited here by the developers. The lifestyle here is wonderful and we let these misguided souls babble on.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:22 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by campie View Post
we let these misguided souls babble on.
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 02-13-2011, 05:04 PM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default insight from a Wannabe

I know many of you love being there and I am jealous.... but as a Wannabe...we are hanging out in this forum....trying to learn. We don't want to look forward to moving there and then instead of finding the Great and Powerful Oz we find... the man behind the curtain!!!! Snoopy sure may have gotten the wrong idea, that everyone there is sitting around all day arguing politics and fighting in the neighborhoods over politics. I have my own concerns, but Snoopy's concerns are his... and he should not be put down for having them. Afer all he is trying to make an informed decision re: his future.

Also I know there is a lot of history amongst some of you but wish everyone would play nice. I think it is great that there are strong convictions tho. Please remember there are a lot of people that don't live there making decisions based on what you post here. They may be getting the wrong idea about the people there which I personally have found to be some of the nicest and friendliest anywhere.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
I base friendships on good and caring people, not their political affiliations.

If a person is nice and fun to be around, I will treasure their friendship. I will be there for them in good times and in their time of trouble and be as helpful as I can.

My personality is as such: I do not want to be around people who have strong personalities in that everying they say, one has to agree with or there is a big discussion. I agree we disagree would be to last thing I would need to say. I would go onto the next friendship if that doesn't meet their criteria of having to agree wholeheartedly with them. I also don't force my opinions on others.

"A person convince against his/her will is of the same opinion still".

I am still a wannabe who plans on having fun and I won't let anyone rain on my parade.

Life is too short to be too little.
Excellent post. I grew up in a Father Knows Best/It's My Way or the Highway household which resulted in many heated discussions with my dad in my teen years. I can live peacefully with law abiding, friendly neighbors of any political persuasion, race, religion or sexual orientation, and I'm sure I could do the same in TV.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:20 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
Redwitch, should I decide to further pursue TV as a possible retirement destination, we have to meet up! I have loved every one of your posts!! So politics aside, there are bugs? What about snakes??? That may trump politics!
Bugs - it seems like none - far less than the skeeters we had in New England. The only bugs are the pesky but harmless love bugs that appear in May (ans sometimes) October. They are small, non-biting and not at all creepy - just a nuisance.

Snakes - yes - but being smart allows us to co-exist. (This from a woman who REALLY hates snakes.)

From kate - a moderate who feels there is truth on both sides....

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.