How conservative is the Villages?

Closed Thread
Old 02-07-2011, 08:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,503 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I think it is fair to tell people considering a move here that the political party of the owners is Republican and they are large contributors to the Republican party. The paper that they own has a decidedly Republican bent, slant, bias, you choose the words.

Before elections and at other times too, there are speakers and book signings by Republicans such as George Bush, Sarah Palin, Glenn Beck, etc. This is given a lot of coverage in the paper and a LOT of people attend these functions at the squares. President Bush has been a guest in the Morse home.

The Democratic nominees and speakers are not afforded much of a welcome from the developers.

I read that the split is 60-40 but it feels to me more like 70-30. Out of ten homes on our street, neighbors nearby I would wager that 8 out of 10 vote Republican. There is a large silent bunch of moderate Republicans and a lot of vocal Tea Party people.

I hope I continue always to have friends on both sides of the aisle.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:37 AM

Whoooa, hold on here, what started out as a decent conversation has turned into a butt kissing contest.
"Right wing nut jobs" and other nasty remarks by liberals towards conservativs and we just have to tolerate it!
Fox news and the slams against Republicans! My stomach is starting to turn reading some of these posts, dont know about others but that is my opinion.

"Cmon on down but watch out for these nasty right wingers"
Old 02-07-2011, 08:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default I was wondering

how long it would take to hear from the conservatives, you can always count on Sparky! huh!? And in response, I think Gracie was more than gracious and diplomatic!.She was only repeating the facts man, "Only the facts"....IMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky-30 View Post
Whoooa, hold on here, what started out as a decent conversation has turned into a butt kissing contest.
"Right wing nut jobs" and other nasty remarks by liberals towards conservativs and we just have to tolerate it!
Fox news and the slams against Republicans! My stomach is starting to turn reading some of these posts, dont know about others but that is my opinion.

"Cmon on down but watch out for these nasty right wingers"
Old 02-07-2011, 09:06 AM
Gold member

It's just a matter of time before any discussions similar to this go down the same old road. Some sooner than others. No surprise.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:37 AM

I've lived here since June of this year and have met several Villagers. I have no idea what their political affiliation is and care very little how they vote. It just isn't any of my business. If someone were to ask me about my political leanings, I would have to tell them it is none of their business. Do I care about the country and how it is being guided? Of course I do, and I let my votes do my talking. Am I missing something or being unpatriotic by keeping my views as my own?

For those who say they won't discuss politics or religion, I will add this:

I won't get into a political discussion with anyone. If they insist, they will see my back as I walk away.

As far as religion, I will discuss religion with anyone who is willing to use the Bible as the standard for discussion. Other than that, there is nothing but opinion, and you can't discuss opinion in a civilized conversation with many people. It tends to become uncivilized rather quickly.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:43 AM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
My neighbor yells anti-anything but Republican epitaphs at FOX News as he uses his treadmill, but is about the best neighbor you'll find. The developer has deep pockets in his conservatism, but he's put together the very best retirement community on earth. I do get a little embarrassed when my friends see on the national news that "flash-in-the-pan" political leader wannabes are hawking their wares at Sumter Landing. It's a little hard to explain the public one-sidedness. We have a couple of handfuls of know-it-all, LOUD conservatives, waiting on the attack, but are pretty well contained in the Political Forum at TOTV. When they do wander out into the general population they are pretty civil and many are quite like-able. Come on down and become one of our silent majority. Reasonably minded Liberals, Moderates and Independents are building a significant power-base.

Xavier
Well said! I think we need all opinions in a democracy....
Old 02-07-2011, 09:46 AM

Jebartle, the man asked a question on how conservative is the Villages, and I simply answered his question, too old to be playing the political correctness agenda.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:15 AM
Gold member
Location: Retired and living fulltime in The Village of Bonita!

ok, I guess it is time for me to wade in! I am going to try and answer this in a non-political way!
Is TV conservative? YES, in a very big way! We believe in old fashion values, we Love our Country, we Love our Flag, we Love those of us like me that are Military, we for the most part Love our neighbors and the old time feeling of closeness in our neighborhoods and help out all we can, we LOVE that we can be deverse (sp?) and speak our thoughts, and we for the most part accept that from others. So yes we are conservative, do we all have our own political leanings? Yes! But the core is we are all conservative to some point and live in TV for that reason. WE ARE TV'ers!

Hope I made sense!
Army Guy
Old 02-07-2011, 11:23 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army Guy View Post
ok, I guess it is time for me to wade in! I am going to try and answer this in a non-political way!
Is TV conservative? YES, in a very big way! We believe in old fashion values, we Love our Country, we Love our Flag, we Love those of us like me that are Military, we for the most part Love our neighbors and the old time feeling of closeness in our neighborhoods and help out all we can, we LOVE that we can be deverse (sp?) and speak our thoughts, and we for the most part accept that from others. So yes we are conservative, do we all have our own political leanings? Yes! But the core is we are all conservative to some point and live in TV for that reason. WE ARE TV'ers!

Hope I made sense!
Army Guy
Good job!

Bill
Old 02-07-2011, 11:28 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
As a retiring life-long democrat, I got worried on my recent visit to the Villages. In some of the literature, I noticed Limbaugh, Hannity, GW Bush and Rove pictured and/or mentioned. I saw nothing of Obama, Kennedy, Reid or Pelosi. Is it a ridiculous notion for me to even consider retiring in the Villages. I love the place, but I may hate the politics. Conservatives and liberals alike please advise. Thanks!
Decided to respond without looking out any of the responces to your post.
I haven't belong to a political party for many years. I honestly get very quiet when politics are discussed with friends or family. I have my views and that's that. Politics would never stop me from moving to TV.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:45 AM
Veteran member
Smile

"I'm not a member of any organized political party. I'm a Democrat.".....Will Rodgers
Old 02-07-2011, 04:05 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,592 Times in 1,758 Posts

At this point in time I have one life style visit to TV under my belt and most of it was spent looking at the layout, the homes, recreations centers and so on. Although I came into contact with a few people I had no time to get to know them in any deep sense. Most seemed friendly enough. The result is that TV is still on my list of potential active adult retirement communities in which to become a frog. Now that said, I have lived 69 years and I find there are places I want to spend time and places I do not, people with whom I want to spend time and others with whom I do not. I want compatible and agreeable company, not in the sense we necessarily share a common mindset about the various aspects of life but that we are courteous to each other, enjoy what we do together and engage in pleasant, informative and otherwise beneficial discussions. That said, if I decide to move to TV I want to have enough to do, feel welcome and that enough of the people there may want to become friends with me. I want to feel physically safe from crimes against persons and from crimes against property, both real and personal. I want to be somewhere having adequate medical care available. In one of my current two living environments I do not feel physically safe at times and in many places or that my real and personal property are safe whereas in the other I feel safe all ways almost all of the time. Since I now split my time between Albuquerque, NM and Newport Beach, CA, you have three guesses as to which is which and the first two do not count. Again, in one the medical care is substandard and one may have to wait for hours or even over a day in an emergency room because they are overloaded taking care of drug overdoses, stab wounds and the like whereas in the other I can obtain great emergency as well as other medical care as needed. In Albuquerque Ann Coulter was to speak but she had to cancel because of threats against her person whereas in Newport Beach I had to wait in a line for hours to get one of her books signed and it was standing room only at another event in Orange County featuring Ann as a speaker. Guess which community is mostly liberal and which is mostly conservative. I have both liberal and conservative friends. Guess which ones are not open to ideas other than their party's dogma and which are open to new ideas? Guess which ones can not stand for long to not bring up their politics and ruin an evening in which no one else is dicussing politics or religion? Frankly, if most of the residents of TV are conservatives I believe I would be welcome there and find it a pleasant place to live out my life.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,503 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
At this point in time I have one life style visit to TV under my belt and most of it was spent looking at the layout, the homes, recreations centers and so on. Although I came into contact with a few people I had no time to get to know them in any deep sense. Most seemed friendly enough. The result is that TV is still on my list of potential active adult retirement communities in which to become a frog. Now that said, I have lived 69 years and I find there are places I want to spend time and places I do not, people with whom I want to spend time and others with whom I do not. I want compatible and agreeable company, not in the sense we necessarily share a common mindset about the various aspects of life but that we are courteous to each other, enjoy what we do together and engage in pleasant, informative and otherwise beneficial discussions. That said, if I decide to move to TV I want to have enough to do, feel welcome and that enough of the people there may want to become friends with me. I want to feel physically safe from crimes against persons and from crimes against property, both real and personal. I want to be somewhere having adequate medical care available. In one of my current two living environments I do not feel physically safe at times and in many places or that my real and personal property are safe whereas in the other I feel safe all ways almost all of the time. Since I now split my time between Albuquerque, NM and Newport Beach, CA, you have three guesses as to which is which and the first two do not count. Again, in one the medical care is substandard and one may have to wait for hours or even over a day in an emergency room because they are overloaded taking care of drug overdoses, stab wounds and the like whereas in the other I can obtain great emergency as well as other medical care as needed. In Albuquerque Ann Coulter was to speak but she had to cancel because of threats against her person whereas in Newport Beach I had to wait in a line for hours to get one of her books signed and it was standing room only at another event in Orange County featuring Ann as a speaker. Guess which community is mostly liberal and which is mostly conservative. I have both liberal and conservative friends. Guess which ones are not open to ideas other than their party's dogma and which are open to new ideas? Guess which ones can not stand for long to not bring up their politics and ruin an evening in which no one else is dicussing politics or religion? Frankly, if most of the residents of TV are conservatives I believe I would be welcome there and find it a pleasant place to live out my life.
I believe your dreams have come true. Come on down and enjoy this place.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:02 PM

Quote:
at this point in time i have one life style visit to tv under my belt and most of it was spent looking at the layout, the homes, recreations centers and so on. Although i came into contact with a few people i had no time to get to know them in any deep sense. Most seemed friendly enough. The result is that tv is still on my list of potential active adult retirement communities in which to become a frog. I have both liberal and conservative friends. Guess which ones are not open to ideas other than their party's dogma and which are open to new ideas? Guess which ones can not stand for long to not bring up their politics and ruin an evening in which no one else is dicussing politics or religion? Frankly, if most of the residents of tv are conservatives i believe i would be welcome there and find it a pleasant place to live out my life.
bullseye!!!
Old 02-07-2011, 08:44 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Frankly, if most of the residents of TV are conservatives I believe I would be welcome there and find it a pleasant place to live out my life.
Regardless of the relatively short period of time I've been here in TV, I've gotten the opinion that you are correct in what you've stated. There has been not a wisper of politics, right or left leaning, out of anyone that I've personally met or encountered to this point, and would not be surprised if it rarely occured in the future.

However, I disappointingly cannot say the same when it comes to TOTV. Sadly, in just this thread alone, offensive words have been used against conservitism like... unbalanced, fools, right-wing nut jobs and right-wing nonsense when the posters of these words apparantly do not agree with the expressed views or opinions of others, or of any entity whose views differ from their own. At the same time I'm glad that I've yet to heard those kinds of descriptive terms applied to Liberals and hope I don't. We don't need that kind of disrespectful talk if we're here to learn, share information and/or just plain have fun.
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.