How do you stop your dogs from tearing your birdcage screen?

Closed Thread
Old 12-05-2020, 11:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,046 Times in 2,737 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zendog3 View Post
Two dogs. Never any trouble with them tearing at the screen -- even with squirrels. However, the neighbor's dog drowned in the pool soon afterr they moved in. I took our dogs out and put them in the pool . I showed them were the steps were and put them in over and over again until the learned to dog-paddle over to the steps to get out. They have never fallen in, but the training may save them if they slip.
Our dog knows the steps also. But never allow your dog near the pool if you have a cover over it. The dog could get stuck underneath the cover. That would be tragic.
Old 12-05-2020, 02:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

I've found that an electric shock fence along the bottom works wonders. It also keeps the grandkids from attempting to get away.
Old 12-05-2020, 04:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulfcoast View Post
We're planning to seriously look at the new designer ranch homes with fences, too. At this point, we know we need a fence, we want an easy maintenance yard and we would prefer to be within walking distance to a town square or at least a clubhouse or shopping center w/dining options.

Our dogs are energetic but not barkers/yappers or escape artists so they are o.k. to be let outside alone in a fenced in yard for short stretches.
Single homes with a fenced yard south of 466A, TV built about 50 cottages with a fenced yard off Moyer Loop in 2016. For more, you'll need to go to the new areas south of 44 where they have built Veranda Homes, which are designers with a fenced yard.

Currently in the Pine Ridge/Pine Hills area of Moyer Loop there are 5 cottages for sale by TV and one has a fenced yard. It's an Anchor Model with a 2 car garage, 3 BR 2 BA for $257,000. This is a pretty good deal, most CYV's in this area are selling for more. The only negative is it's in Lake County which has slightly higher taxes. By golf cart your probably less than 10 minutes to Colony Shopping Center and Neighborhood Walmart Market.

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

Homefinder - The Villages(R) Homes and Villas for Sale

Property Details : Lake County Property Appraiser
Old 12-05-2020, 04:51 PM
Platinum member
Default Shopping at target

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlcopper View Post
lol. Do you live in a jungle? Most of all that is rare or non existant!
and my ak will keep it that way
Old 12-05-2020, 05:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedrocarrasco01@yahoo.com
Plus Coyotes, Bears, Alligators, Eagles, big hawks, Owls, rattlesnakes and cottonmouth snakes, never leave them alone outside with just a screen to protect them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlcopper View Post
Lol. Do you live in a jungle? Most of all that is rare or non existant!
Actually you live with a false sense of security and I should make a thread of this so many others can be educated as well. Bobcats are sighted regularly in TV, as well as coyotes, and hawks, and alligators daily.

Here's a Bobcat atop a villa wall in the Village of Hillsborough. On next door website a Bobcat was reported on a villa wall in my village of Tamarind Grove last week. Lanai screens are not really a great protector either, there's been posters that have said coyotes have come through the screen to get their cat.

The Villages Florida

Tall Tress is a village just south of 466 and east of the high school, you would think that coyotes wouldn't be around in that area. A golfer in my weekly group, his neighbor had a dog snatched by a coyote in their front yard while they were standing 20' away.

There is at least one resident a year that will report a coyote taking their small dog. A powerline worker was working on one of the towers east of Belle Glade Golf Course on the Lake/Sumter County line. They had to remove a Eagle's nest and they found 9 dog collars in the nest. So next time when someone comments about the wildlife here in Florida, you'll know it's for real.

Villages News July 2017

A Villages couple’s dog was snatched and killed by a coyote early Wednesday morning in the Village of Tall Trees.

Denise Edwards took her pair of Chihuahuas out this morning between 5:15 and 5:30 a.m. at her home on Welcome Way.

Edwards went to fetch her neighbors’ newspaper and put it up closer to their house. That’s when she heard her 13-pound, 3-year-old Chihuahua named Bailey “screaming.”

The Villages Florida

An “enormous” coyote had locked its jaw on Bailey. The dog’s sister, Pita, also a Chihuahua, tried to fight off the coyote and escaped unharmed.

“That coyote was as big as our neighbor’s Golden Retriever,” Edwards said.

She tried to run after it and the commotion began waking up neigbhors who came out to help.

In a flash, the coyote got away with Bailey.

Coyotes reportedly have been a problem in the neighborhood.

“We’ve all been complaining about it,” Edwards said.

Most coyote attacks on pets occur either at night or in the early evening and early morning hours, according to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.

The presence of coyotes has been documented in all 67 Florida counties.

Here's a photo taken in the Village of Pennecamp of 3 Bobcats in 2018.

The Villages Florida

I was playing Evans Prairie two years ago Dec 2018 and the next day I read on Villages News online site that this photo was taken on the 9th fairway of Egret at Evans Prairie a couple of days earlier. It was estimated the Bobcat was 6' from his feet to his tail.

The Villages Florida

Here's a hawk in TV, I feed doves in my backyard and in the past two years I have seen twice a hawk literally tear a dove to pieces and left only a pile of feathers. I could go on and on, but I want to make you aware so we don't lose anymore pets in TV.

The Villages Florida
Old 12-05-2020, 06:25 PM

Never leave them alone, smaller dogs must fear the Hawks, Owls, Coyotes, Alligators, Snakes, Bobcats, Cougars. Big Coons, other dogs. All of these can be in The Villages.
Old 12-05-2020, 07:11 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Single homes with a fenced yard south of 466A, TV built about 50 cottages with a fenced yard off Moyer Loop in 2016. For more, you'll need to go to the new areas south of 44 where they have built Veranda Homes, which are designers with a fenced yard.

Currently in the Pine Ridge/Pine Hills area of Moyer Loop there are 5 cottages for sale by TV and one has a fenced yard. It's an Anchor Model with a 2 car garage, 3 BR 2 BA for $257,000. This is a pretty good deal, most CYV's in this area are selling for more. The only negative is it's in Lake County which has slightly higher taxes. By golf cart your probably less than 10 minutes to Colony Shopping Center and Neighborhood Walmart Market.

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

Homefinder - The Villages(R) Homes and Villas for Sale

Property Details : Lake County Property Appraiser
Thanks for the links. This house seems to be quite spacious and I like that backyard. Not sure if that's a sago palm in the backyard or not but if it is it would be easy enough to remove. Sago palms are toxic to dogs.
Old 12-05-2020, 08:57 PM
Platinum member

Dont forget the bears
Old 12-05-2020, 09:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,046 Times in 2,737 Posts

We have a border collie who is very smart and capable of taking care of herself against most critter threats in the Villages. However, we abut a wildlife preserve and I won’t let her out anywhere in our yard without being by her side. My biggest fear is the venomous snakes, especially the cottonmouths. Gators are a minor concern, but we have only seen one very small gator near our house over several years. We have a family of bobcats living in our greater back yard area, but they are small cats and are very skiddish. My biggest concern for our little girls safety are the numerous idiotic and sometimes aggressive humans who don’t like dogs.
Old 12-11-2020, 10:46 AM
John41

The info on all the wild animals has been very helpful as we have two cats that go outdoors in our fenced in cyv. Usually the big one demands i go out with him and now i know why. Our lanai has several scratches from the cats and i just patch them up. in our other house we got pet screening on the lower 30 inches that works well.
Old 12-11-2020, 10:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,016 Times in 1,010 Posts

ikr! yesterday i took hubby to creekside for a dr appt. while parking i saw a pet cat wandering free, & this may sound alarmist to some, but i thought that cat must've slipped out because no one who cherishes their pet would let it roam free here. it had a collar & was VERY well fed. lol
Old 12-11-2020, 11:45 AM

I fence doesn't do much good either. Coyote jumping a 6'-0" wall in Phoenix, Az. - YouTube
Old 12-15-2020, 11:58 AM
Veteran member

We live in Florida now, close to a wooded preserve and I have seen deer, hawks, eagles, armadillos, rabbits, turtles, snakes. We've had a bear or two knock over our garbage can a few times, I've heard coyotes in the distance but I've never seen them in our backyard. We have 3 dogs, one of which is a German Shepherd. We also have a Golden and a solid 35 pound Heinz 57. Thankfully, no wildlife has ever tried to mess with them. The bobcats in TV look huge, I think I would faint if I had something like that walking along the top of my fence.
Closed Thread

Tags
screen, birdcage, dogs, tear, animals

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.