How do you stop your dogs from tearing your birdcage screen?

Closed Thread
Old 12-05-2020, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzyjourneyfan View Post
This is my first time posting, so I hope that I am doing it correctly. We would like to move to The Villages by summer. We have two small (15 pounds each) dogs. We would like to get a house with a large birdcage to keep them safe from wild animals. I think that they would probably tear up the screen if they saw something interesting in the backyard. What do pet owners do to avoid this problem? Is there something waterproof that we could put up against the screen?
Geeez, really? I hope they are not yappers. Coyotes, yes, coyotes, are still still around and they will tear through the lanai and snatch them before you know it. I know of someone who lost his cat that way. He destroyed the lanai, blood everywhere and didn't bother to take the cat with him. Ate him right there. Owner wasn't home. Coyotes have lost their natural habitat and will hunt and kill anything; they have become more aggressive.. Same goes for alligators. Use common sense
Old 12-05-2020, 05:58 AM
Veteran member

Remove the bird cage.
Old 12-05-2020, 06:30 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,245 Times in 450 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Easiest question I have ever responded to. Train them properly.
Train wild animals.....how does one do that????
Old 12-05-2020, 06:45 AM
Veteran member

Several responses. There is dog resistant screen , much heavier .
Second is adding aluminum sheets
Lastly never leave dogs alone in bird cages . We have eagles and hawks here . I did see an eagle tear and crash thru a roof screen into a pool .
Old 12-05-2020, 07:22 AM

I'd be more concerned with wild animals tearing the screen to get in to your dogs
Old 12-05-2020, 08:00 AM

Buy a roll of old fashioned chicken wire. Very inexpensive barrier. Look for it at Rural King or Tractor supply.

Dogs will not scratch through it.
Old 12-05-2020, 08:07 AM

You can also install kick panels along the bottom section of your screen.
Old 12-05-2020, 08:11 AM
Default We also have coyotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
I have read on previous threads, that Lowes sell some screening that is raccoon proof.
Lining the bottom 2-4 feet of your lanai with it will probably stop your dogs from destroying present screen from inside.
However, two small dogs alone in lanai may encourage raccoons, bobcats, to try their luck from the outside, and they can rip open lanais.
Six of one, half dozen of the other!
Plus Coyotes, Bears, Alligators, Eagles, big hawks, Owls, rattlesnakes and cottonmouth snakes, never leave them alone outside with just a screen to protect them.

Last edited by Pedrocarrasco01@yahoo.com; 12-05-2020 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Added Eagles, hawks, Owls 🦉
Old 12-05-2020, 08:37 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
This thread blows my mind. Why is the overwhelming solution getting some kind of dog proof screen instead of taking the responsibility to properly train your dog. Our dog would never damage a screen, and we use exclusively positive reinforcement to train our little girl.
The perfect response! You dont change things to suit a dog. The dog adapts and is trained to act properly
Old 12-05-2020, 08:38 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedrocarrasco01@yahoo.com View Post
Plus Coyotes, Bears, Alligators, Eagles, big hawks, Owls, rattlesnakes and cottonmouth snakes, never leave them alone outside with just a screen to protect them.
Lol. Do you live in a jungle? Most of all that is rare or non existant!
Old 12-05-2020, 08:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Slightly off-topic, but I would imagine there are hundreds of pets that are in screened in lanai's and birdcages at any point of the day here in The Villages. Is the problem of wildlife entering these areas and killing/eating pets that widespread of a problem?

Not to mention all of the dogs who spend a good portion of the day outside, within the confines of an Invisible Fence. There are three in my neighborhood alone.

Good grief.

Last edited by photo1902; 12-05-2020 at 08:53 AM.
Old 12-05-2020, 09:05 AM
Default Easy-peasy Solution For Saving the Birdcage Screen from Short Pets and Grandchildren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzyjourneyfan View Post
This is my first time posting, so I hope that I am doing it correctly. We would like to move to The Villages by summer. We have two small (15 pounds each) dogs. We would like to get a house with a large birdcage to keep them safe from wild animals. I think that they would probably tear up the screen if they saw something interesting in the backyard. What do pet owners do to avoid this problem? Is there something waterproof that we could put up against the screen?
We used the plastic lattice panels that are available from HD and Lowes. They come from the factory as 4 by 8 foot sections. We used 2 by 8 foot sections. You can cut them yourself lengthwise, but one or both of the stores have or will make the 2 foot high sections. You will need to cut enough off the 8 foot directions to fit between the vertical structures in your cage. Colors are white and green. We bought small white, painted self drilling screws to attach each panel to the horizontal structure that runs about 20 inches from the floor of the cage. All the additions are inside the cage so ARC approval is not not required.
Old 12-05-2020, 09:51 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,063 Times in 532 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlcopper View Post
Lol. Do you live in a jungle? Most of all that is rare or non existant!
>

Actually, The Villages has Coyotes, Bobcats, Eagles, Hawks alligators and venomous snakes. Leave your small dog outside and wait, you will see them. Nonexistent? I've seen all of them here.
Old 12-05-2020, 10:57 AM

Two dogs. Never any trouble with them tearing at the screen -- even with squirrels. However, the neighbor's dog drowned in the pool soon afterr they moved in. I took our dogs out and put them in the pool . I showed them were the steps were and put them in over and over again until the learned to dog-paddle over to the steps to get out. They have never fallen in, but the training may save them if they slip.
Old 12-05-2020, 11:09 AM

Where are you from that causes you to worry that your dog could be eaten? The GUARANTEED way is to leave your dogs behind
Closed Thread

Tags
screen, birdcage, dogs, tear, animals

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.