Retirement

Closed Thread
Old 06-12-2011, 07:44 PM
Default Retirement

For those that are fully retired, do you feel that you retired too early, not early enough or at the best time? Also, did the fact that you were retiring to TV versus staying put influence your decision?
Old 06-12-2011, 08:50 PM
Veteran member

I retired from the Federal government at age 59. I was eligible at 55 but my wife was also working. She was able to get an early retirement from her government job at 52. We both retired on the same day!!

No regrets at all about retiring. The Villages was not even on our radar at that point. However, we moved shortly after retiring (2 years) and became year round residents of The Villages. Best thing ever.

I would not have felt right about retiring and my wife having to continue work for 4 more years. I liked my job, made a decent salary, so I would have to say we both retired at exactly the right time.

Last edited by Tbugs; 06-13-2011 at 08:28 AM.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:07 PM
Gold member

I retired at 48 when my wife retired at 54 in 2002.
I have never missed working except for some of the working relationships I had.
Sometimes I do think it was too early especially since neither of us has pensions.
We have 2 homes and spend time between them so working would be out of the question.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:08 PM

My employer gave me the "opportunity" of retiring a month after my 65th birthday, rather than the date I had picked 17 months later.

Even so, I'm happy with it and, as someone noted in an investment thread, it's better to retire a year too early than a day too late.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:16 AM

Working for the railroad all of my life, I have never paid a dime into SS. I will retire in two years at 56 with full railroad retirement. Working 24/7 for the last 35 years, will be enough for me. Life is to short, not to enjoy it!
Old 06-13-2011, 07:46 AM

Thanks for your response. I have considered retirement for several years. Ms Fun and I have owned a house in TV for 5 years now. We only come for 2 weeks at a time due to being self employed. We have found it very difficult to walk away after 38 years of owning our own business. Perhaps this will be the year that we put it all behind us and come for fulltime fun. Always enjoy TOTV forum. Off to work but wishing we were there. Fun
Old 06-13-2011, 08:16 AM
Gold member
Default Well said

[ it's better to retire a year too early than a day too late.[/QUOTE]

We owned in Tall Trees before retirement (we were snowflakes) and retired to be snowbirds. "Every day not at work is a day added to your life"
Old 06-13-2011, 12:04 PM
Default I made the right decision...

...and feel I retired at just the right time. I could have left 3 years earlier but held on for a "Better Deal"...and my wife had just started her new job.

(Fast-Forward 6 years)...

Now, my wife LOVES her job and everything about it. She has no plans or desires to leave it anytime soon...She'll probably be there until THEY kick her out!

I'll admit, retirement took some getting used to for me. It was quite an adjustment. I'am still adjusting but finally feeling comfortable with trying to fill up a 16 hour day...EVERYDAY! So...thats why I have TV in my sights.

I think a second home in TV is in my very near future. She'll know where I'am at, and how to get there. I'll check in from time to time (heheheheee) and she can come on down when she's good and ready.

Besides (and this is the best part) We're only a 2 hour drive from TV.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funinthesun View Post
Thanks for your response. I have considered retirement for several years. Ms Fun and I have owned a house in TV for 5 years now. We only come for 2 weeks at a time due to being self employed. We have found it very difficult to walk away after 38 years of owning our own business. Perhaps this will be the year that we put it all behind us and come for fulltime fun. Always enjoy TOTV forum. Off to work but wishing we were there. Fun
Walking away is better than leaving feet first on a gurney. At one point in your life you got to say enough is enough. I retired a year ago and sure I miss the paychecks but you got to realize we're in the 4th quarter and looking at the light at the end of the tunnel. Like the song "The Gambler" says, "You got to know when to fold them, you got to know when to walk away".
Old 06-13-2011, 03:46 PM
Veteran member

My wife retired at 50, me at 56. The only thing I miss are my friends at work. I still go have lunch with them from time to time. I love my freedom, no worry, and time to read, exercise, hike, ride my bike, projects, learn and try new things, remodeled three rooms in our house and the foundation to my home, and sleep when I want. I do NOT regret it. I tell people I retired for 5 years and if I want to go back then to work I will. I doubt it.
I am a TV snowbird wannabe.. still waiting on a couple of issues.
JJ
Old 06-13-2011, 08:32 PM

I retired at 53 a couple of years ago after a 30 year career with the same corporation. My wife will be retiring next month at age 55 with a small local government pension. My wife is also a Justice of Peace and she will continue performing marriage ceremonies while we are here in MA. This, we hope, will help supplement our retirement income.

We worked hard and saved even harder to put ourselves in a position to retire. We married at age 20 and started our family the next year. We have been fortunate to have gotten our three children through college debt free. As a young couple, like most young families, we struggled financially for many years, but we never stopped contributing to our 401K retirement funds - even when we thought we couldn't afford to do so.

No retirement plan is perfect, but even an imperfect plan is better than no plan at all. Unfortunately, there are so many people who are not financially prepared to retire and a large number of those people are in this position through no fault of their own.

The road map to retirement has changed quite a bit in just a few short years. Many companies no longer offer a defined pension plan and still many others no longer match 401K contributions. To that point, I worry about the ability of employees in this group to have the financial tools necessary to allow them to enjoy the same level of retirement many of us have been able to do. Time will tell!

Dan
Natick, MA
Village of Buttonwood 1/12/11
Old 06-13-2011, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI SNOWBIRD View Post
[ it's better to retire a year too early than a day too late.
We owned in Tall Trees before retirement (we were snowflakes) and retired to be snowbirds. "Every day not at work is a day added to your life"[/QUOTE]

Question. I know what a snowbird is but what is a snowflake?
Old 06-13-2011, 09:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPete View Post
Question. I know what a snowbird is but what is a snowflake?
Someone who's only able to make it to TV off an on for short periods of time.

Bill
Old 06-14-2011, 01:43 AM
Veteran member

We/I will be retired soon (fter the golf season) 12 hour days 7 days a week for the past 7 years was enough even though I love it and the members love me back.

What really convinced us was when we saw TV and bought our "last house" there. I need some "me" time where I can actually play golf and learn new things like line dancing, pickle ball and afternoon naps......

No more shoveling snow for us! love heat hate cold....

"The difficult we can do immediately the impossible just takes a little longer"
Old 06-14-2011, 01:55 AM
Default Interested in a courtyard in a young, active area?

I'm thinking of selling and moving back north. Lived here 18 months, Husband died six months ago, I don't like my job, the bills are tight on one income, I'm not smiling much anymore. Want a great courtyard villa with brand new custom landscaping?
(You're the first one I've mentioned this to! -- I guess I've got up my nerve!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PylutDood View Post
...and feel I retired at just the right time. I could have left 3 years earlier but held on for a "Better Deal"...and my wife had just started her new job.

(Fast-Forward 6 years)...

Now, my wife LOVES her job and everything about it. She has no plans or desires to leave it anytime soon...She'll probably be there until THEY kick her out!

I'll admit, retirement took some getting used to for me. It was quite an adjustment. I'am still adjusting but finally feeling comfortable with trying to fill up a 16 hour day...EVERYDAY! So...thats why I have TV in my sights.

I think a second home in TV is in my very near future. She'll know where I'am at, and how to get there. I'll check in from time to time (heheheheee) and she can come on down when she's good and ready.

Besides (and this is the best part) We're only a 2 hour drive from TV.

WV, VA, and lots of little sidetrips along the way to The Villages!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.