How much daily "food and fun" money is enough for YOU?

Closed Thread
Old 06-05-2011, 10:36 AM

If both husband and wife play golf on championship courses, I would say somewhere around $75/day for golf, groceries, dining out, etc. Having said that though, if we need to tighten our belt buckle, we could cut back on golf and dining out.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:32 AM

Thanks for the responses.

I find it interesting that some folks find the question silly because the amount of money you can spend on a daily basis pretty much determines the type of lifestyle you can live. One may choose to live in a big house, or one may choose to live in a small one. Everything is choice, and I was interested in knowing how much individuals would feel comfortable with knowing that every day, that was their disposable income.

I doubt anyone would be happy with $5.00 per day after all fixed expenses. I'm sure most would be happy with $500 per day disposable after all fixed expenses.

I've thrown together a spreadsheet with several different retirement scenarios with the goal of seeing how much daily disposable income there is in each scenario. I have an idea of what I would like to have and was just curious what others felt they would be comfortable with.

Just wanted to see where I fit in the curve with others at the villages.

For the record, I was thinking $80 per day would probably be a good amount to enjoy retirement at the villages.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:42 PM
Gold member

Maybe you could take your current expenses and then delete those items that you will not need in TV and add those that you will add in TV.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:05 PM
Gold member

batman911, that is what we did when we decided to buy and move to TV. Neither of us golf, but we enjoy eating out and it will be nice to have more then just 7 places to chose from. My biggest expense is my hobby which I afforded with my part time job. I will still be doing a part time job there that will cover those expenses and my wife as her own income. We both did a complete review of what it costs us to live here and what it cost to live in TV. They balance out. So our life style will not change and we do have a rainy day fund set a side. But this is a very good question if you are retiring early and want to know if you can maintain your current life style or will have to cut way back.
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Home Protection Instructor
Retired Army Military Police Investigator - 20 years, 4 months, 13 days
Retired Deputy Sheriff/Corrections Officer
IDPA Safety Officer Instructor
All skill is in vain when an Angel weewees in the flintlock of your musket.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:35 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

One of the great features of the Villages is that you buy the lifestyle when you buy your home, whether a manufactured home or a premier home, or anything in between. The amenity fee pays for the fabulous lifestyle and you can enhance it as much or as little as you feel comfortable with. If you like to eat out you have so many terrific choices at a variety of resturaunts that you can spend as little as $20 per couple to $100 or more per couple. If you want to play golf you can spend $20 to $60 per round at an 18 hole layout, or you can golf the execs for the trail fee ( or walk for free). You can do happy hour at home for as little as $.50 a drink or you can go to the squares, or any number of watering holes and spend $2-$5 per drink. The point is that you can enjoy a vigorous and entertaining lifestyle for just about as much or as little as your budget allows. Personally I like to eat out often and play championship golf once or twice a week, so I am probably in the $2-$2.5k a month range, but I could easily cut that down if I felt pinched.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:00 PM
Sage

Cobalt,
I agree that it was a good question. We're not frogs yet, so we're till working the math too.

In addition to the expenses you mentioned, our spreadsheet includes allowances for personal expenses (e.g., clothing, haircare, cosmetics, etc.), maintenance of home and grounds, maintenance/repairs/replacement of assets (appliances, equipment, auto, carts), medical (not covered by insurance), travel and pet care.

We would like to budget at least 5 percent contingency.

Anything else we should include, fellow TOTVers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
OK. Here is the assumption for this question. You can live in the Villages with all costs covered. Your house, car payment, amenities fee, insurance(s), utilities, taxes, bond, phone, cable, internet, lawn care, etc.....everything is covered. You don't have to pay anything.

But, you do need money for...

1) Food...because you decide how much you eat
2) Gas...because you decide how much you drive
3) Fun...because you decide how much you play 'over and above' what the villages provides as part of the amenities fee
4) Rainy Day Cash...because we all know odd expenses come up

Considering 1-4 only, how much money would YOU consider to be enough on a DAILY basis that if that is all the money you had, you would still move to the villages knowing your retirement would be fabulous.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:02 PM
Email Reported As Spam

There is a real difference as to what one needs as to what one wants. In part it has to do with "value or utility for each dollar spent. And in part it has to do with likes. some people like to party hardy. Some like to eat out often other cook every meal. some like to travel. so there are some real trade offs unlesss you really are a millionaire...which by the way I believe you need to be if you truly want to live like a millionaire in TV.

As to budgets, I revise my at least every six months. finally we have those surprises and new interests.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:06 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
Cobalt,
I agree that it was a good question. We're not frogs yet, so we're till working the math too.

In addition to the expenses you mentioned, our spreadsheet includes allowances for personal expenses (e.g., clothing, haircare, cosmetics, etc.), maintenance of home and grounds, maintenance/repairs/replacement of assets (appliances, equipment, auto, carts), medical (not covered by insurance), travel and pet care.

We would like to budget at least 5 percent contingency.

Anything else we should include, fellow TOTVers?
Good point.... You never know when the golf cart is gonna get ya, right?
Old 06-05-2011, 06:59 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
Cobalt,
. . . Anything else we should include, fellow TOTVers?
Don't forget the many classes that are offered at the Lifelong Learning College. I've tried tap dancing, tone-deaf choir, and watercolor classes through the college. If you enjoy painting there are all-day workshops with accomplished artists ($200-$300) who visit The Villages.
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 06-05-2011, 07:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
Good point.... You never know when the golf cart is gonna get ya, right?
Yeah, yeah. Mike knows the score. 5th hole. Thursday. Glenview. Golf cart goes kaput. Got it fixed. Now runs better than it ever has since we got it!

Ok, how come that smilie looks like it has dollar signs for eyes when you select it, but when you use it in a thread, the eyes just look closed. Hope I don't have to budget for working smilies.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:59 PM
Sage

I believe that as you get in your mid 70's and later you back away from doing many things - so for budgeting purposes you monthly expenses are not a constant amount to the end.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 06-06-2011, 03:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinca View Post
I believe that as you get in your mid 70's and later you back away from doing many things - so for budgeting purposes you monthly expenses are not a constant amount to the end.

chuckinca:

I'm not there yet but a very good point. Actually, I very wise point of view.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.