How to Prep Home for Extended Absence?

Closed Thread
Old 08-12-2021, 07:32 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richs631 View Post
The house won’t flood if you turn off the main water valve. I put plastic wrap over the toilet but it’s to keep the smell out of the house when the water in the trap evaporates. Nothing to do with bugs
I have been advised to pour antifreeze in the bowel too, to keep the water from evaporating or being sucked out by wind across the vent.
Old 08-12-2021, 10:17 AM
Default Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by SullyP View Post
Looking for advice on how to prep home for extended absences.
Closing on our TV home in 3 weeks, but for next year can only visit every 3-4 months, will have security system. What advices/tips do you have for preparing our home for those extended absences?
Thorough responses, but a couple ones I did not see are I put a trickle charger on my car and gas golf cart batteries. Do not leave an electric golf cart on full charge, it will ruin the batteries. Use the trickle charger port.
Old 08-12-2021, 11:24 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mneumann02 View Post
Thorough responses, but a couple ones I did not see are I put a trickle charger on my car and gas golf cart batteries. Do not leave an electric golf cart on full charge, it will ruin the batteries. Use the trickle charger port.
The answer to "should I leave my cart plugged in" depends on the manufacturer.

Club Car says leave it plugged in
Yamaha says remove the batteries and store elsewhere.
EZGO is contradictory, saying both, leave it plugged in and don't leave it plugged in.

Lead Acid batteries are not harmed by being continuously topped off. Lithium batteries do better stored at lower voltages. So the real answer is "it depends"

The bottom line is to check the manual on your cart for MFG recommendations.
Old 08-12-2021, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nn0wheremann View Post
Ok that is two responders advising “water off” and lawn sprinklers on. Somehow that does not make much sense to me, but I am getting old.
Most newer areas have separate potable water and irrigation water supplies/meters.
Closed Thread

Tags
home, extended, absences, prep, advices/tips

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.