Closed Thread
Old 05-15-2017, 01:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zummy View Post
Anyone know?
Very carefully.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
I would think tunneling under an existing road would be more expensive since the soil under is sand and the need to support the road above. All tunnels I've seen here were built first and then the road built over them. I guess that's what engineers are for.
Ever heard of The Big Dig in Boston? It's called the greatest engineering feat in history. But since it's been done, I don't know why it can't be done on a much smaller scale.

I heard a rumor that there is an existing tunnel under the turnpike that was once used as a cattle crossing.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Ever heard of The Big Dig in Boston? It's called the greatest engineering feat in history. But since it's been done, I don't know why it can't be done on a much smaller scale.

I heard a rumor that there is an existing tunnel under the turnpike that was once used as a cattle crossing.
Bingo. I believe this is the way to go, under. Either way the bill is going to be a whopper. Driving a Cart over the Pike seem's a little out of line for the customers I've seen driving Carts. Can you imagine something falling off a Cart into traffic? Not good.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post

Your last sentence is accurate.

As for the dig, it was a massive project. Lots of contractors and politicians got rich. Originally scheduled to be a 4 year project, and cost $4B, it lasted almost 20 years and we're still paying for it because of the terrible workmanship. Multi-ton concrete tiles routinely fall from the roof and kill people. It also still leaks like a sieve.

By the way, Teddy Kennedy worked a deal where MA paid 25% and we (the Feds) paid 75%.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 05-15-2017, 02:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
That's not even close to what was said.

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...72-post21.html

"Problematic" = Relatively large tunnel size needed for two pickups to pass due to lack of bedrock, needed strengthening for sandy soil, complicated drainage issues (and possible pumping needed) for high water table, mobilizing a boring machine since cut & cover wouldn't most likely be allowed across turnpike, etc., etc.

Please note that I did not say..."it can't be done."

Although different environmental conditions, some of the same issues of a tunnel versus a bridge...are covered in this article.

FACTSHEET: Why a bridge instead of a tunnel? | BC Gov News

Just setting the record straight.
"I am thinking that tunneling under a divided 4 lane turnpike, would be much more problematic (and expensive?), plus it would be hard to make it large enough to get a pickup sized vehicle from one side to the other...which I believe will be something they will want with this crossing. "

OK, I took a little poetic license, my bad. But I wouldn't characterize it as "not even close" to what was said either. OMG, after the shock of agreeing with each other 4 or 5 times in a row, we are back to reality
Old 05-15-2017, 03:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
"I am thinking that tunneling under a divided 4 lane turnpike, would be much more problematic (and expensive?), plus it would be hard to make it large enough to get a pickup sized vehicle from one side to the other...which I believe will be something they will want with this crossing. "

OK, I took a little poetic license, my bad. But I wouldn't characterize it as "not even close" to what was said either. OMG, after the shock of agreeing with each other 4 or 5 times in a row, we are back to reality
I accept your admission of being wrong.

Old 05-15-2017, 03:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
Proof/link?

I'm not saying you're wrong, I would just like to see something on it.

Quote:
As for the dig, it was a massive project. Lots of contractors and politicians got rich. Originally scheduled to be a 4 year project, and cost $4B, it lasted almost 20 years and we're still paying for it because of the terrible workmanship. Multi-ton concrete tiles routinely fall from the roof and kill people. It also still leaks like a sieve.

By the way, Teddy Kennedy worked a deal where MA paid 25% and we (the Feds) paid 75%.
I have followed this project since inception and it is a monument to just about everything...NOT TO DO.

Big Dig - Wikipedia

Quote:
The Big Dig was the most expensive highway project in the US, and was plagued by cost overruns, delays, leaks, design flaws, charges of poor execution and use of substandard materials, criminal arrests, and one death.

The project was originally scheduled to be completed in 1998 at an estimated cost of $2.8 billion (in 1982 dollars, US$6.0 billion adjusted for inflation as of 2006). However, the project was completed only in December 2007, at a cost of over $14.6 billion ($8.08 billion in 1982 dollars, meaning a cost overrun of about 190%) as of 2006. The Boston Globe estimated that the project will ultimately cost $22 billion....
Old 05-15-2017, 03:39 PM
Sage

I think we all agree tunneling under the turnpike CAN be done only it would be very expensive. Might be cheaper to build a bridge or overpass. These overpasses consist of a ramp on each side, support columns in the medium of the turnpike and a fairly flat bridge over the highway. Still expensive but not an engineering headache.
Old 05-15-2017, 03:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
I think we all agree tunneling under the turnpike CAN be done only it would be very expensive. Might be cheaper to build a bridge or overpass. These overpasses consist of a ramp on each side, support columns in the medium of the turnpike and a fairly flat bridge over the highway. Still expensive but not an engineering headache.
That's what I believe, but it will be interesting to see what 'they' finally decide to do.

I just hope I'm around when they determine whether they will go across or under...Tampa Bay.
Old 05-15-2017, 03:51 PM
Soaring Eagle member

There is a bridge down by the rest area where they just bought thr broperty. Not wide enough for car but fine for golf carts. Problem solved
Old 05-15-2017, 03:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0358 View Post
There is a bridge down by the rest area where they just bought thr broperty. Not wide enough for car but fine for golf carts. Problem solved
See post #8.

However, in post #26 (in this thread) it was stated that existing Bailey Rd. bridge is too far away...and that the developer doesn't own the land on one side.
Old 05-15-2017, 04:20 PM
Sage

Quote:

I don't disagree with any of that. In fact I was never so disappointed as when I drove through that thing expecting to see something like I'd never seen before. It really hasn't helped the traffic situation at all. Another great example of Ted, "bringing home the bacon."

But, it is an example of how something can be done and without the Boston politicians and congress involved it would probably be done on time and one budget.

Old 05-15-2017, 04:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Proof/link?

I'm not saying you're wrong, I would just like to see something on it.

I have followed this project since inception and it is a monument to just about everything...NOT TO DO.

Big Dig - Wikipedia

I did read it, but having trouble finding the link.

Until I can find the link, you might enjoy this:

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome : Surgery | Florida Hospital

Old 05-15-2017, 04:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
I did read it, but having trouble finding the link.

Until I can find the link, you might enjoy this:

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome : Surgery | Florida Hospital
Cute.
Old 05-15-2017, 05:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
I just hope I'm around when they determine whether they will go across or under...Tampa Bay.
LOL.....Add another option, a ferry. I would love putting my cart on a ferry crossing Tampa Bay.

Tags
villages, turnpike, golf, carts, cross

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.