property management for rentals

Closed Thread
Old 05-01-2011, 08:14 PM
Default property management for rentals

We're closing on a house in June. We have some years to go before retirement and hope to rent the house for the winter months. We would appreciate any advice on companies that provide rental management services. Thank you.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:12 PM
Veteran member
Default Property Mgt.

Don't useThe Villages Prop Mgt Service. Our home was almost ruined under their "care".
Old 05-01-2011, 09:18 PM
Platinum member

Do not use J.D. Management. Things started ok in 2009 and became a complete disaster in 2010. If you send me a private message I will elaborate and give you the contact information for my new manager.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:06 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via MSN to Bryan

Unfortunately, this is a largely unregulated industry. TV has had more than it's share of problems with property management companies. An article within the past month or so in The Daily Sun stated that two people were arrested after a two year investigation of First Village Rentals. The paper said they got over $180,000 out of homeowners and rentors before they were put out of business. More recently, another property management company has gone belly up and some are complaining that they kept rent money. I think that is currently under investigation but not sure. Anyway, your best bet is just what you are doing - ask for recommendations (and references) and check them out. Then stay on top of things and act quickly if something seems to be out of kilter. There are some excellent property management companies around but you have to work a little ti find them.

You can hedge your bets (at some small cost) by hiring two companies. One for property management and one just to watch your property. The one watching can report to you directly if the property management company seems to be remiss in taking care of the property properly.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:20 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I have rentals and do everything myself. A challenge sometimes to handle remotely, but have been able to make it work. Most property management companies are difficult do work with and several already mentioned have actually cheated home owners. I will send you a Private message with one I would consider if I decided to hire someone. But interview them and get a few references before making any decision. Doing it yourself is still the best solution.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:45 AM
Gold member
Default Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaC View Post
We're closing on a house in June. We have some years to go before retirement and hope to rent the house for the winter months. We would appreciate any advice on companies that provide rental management services. Thank you.
I see this is your first post, so welcome to the forum and TV. may all your dreams come true.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:08 AM
Sage

DonnaC,

and congratulations on become a Villager!

Depending on how often you are here, you probably will need a house watch person anyway. We use and can recommend Redwitch.

You do NOT need a property management company to rent your house during snowbird season. You can list the home yourself at http://www.thevillages4rent.com/. Rental agreements are easy to find online and you can customize one for your needs. You can also check references yourself, which oddly enough, some "property management" companies do not.

Best wishes to you!
Old 05-02-2011, 08:37 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
DonnaC,

You do NOT need a property management company to rent your house during snowbird season. You can list the home yourself at http://www.thevillages4rent.com/. Rental agreements are easy to find online and you can customize one for your needs. You can also check references yourself, which oddly enough, some "property management" companies do not.

Best wishes to you!
Beg your pardon, but I completely disagree on the need for a property manager. Yes, it's relatively easy to rent homes during the winter, but after five years of experience I can write a long list of potential problems which can occur with "do it yourself" managing. Also, there are lots of details which must be handled which are difficult or easily missed if you are not there.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijusluvit View Post
Do not use J.D. Management. Things started ok in 2009 and became a complete disaster in 2010. If you send me a private message I will elaborate and give you the contact information for my new manager.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:34 AM
Default Property Managment

I live in Indiana and I rent my villa my self. I can help you with everything if you want to e-mail me after Thur.(my e-mail is changing) After Thur my e-mail is barleen@frontier.com.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:34 AM
Default Property Management

We are tentatively planning on renting through JD Property Management this summer but have not signed a lease yet. Anything we should be aware of as renters?? Thanks.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.