I want to move to The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 04-16-2011, 07:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnermi View Post
John, I have told my one sibling that already. My other sibling is a trainwreck at best and I am being kind. Once my mom passes, Nurse Gail is retiring from managing all family health issues. Not sure who they are going to call as long as it isn't me.

Gracie, I have thought before of hosting an orphan dinner at the holidays. It is a hard time of year when you don't have any place to go. How nice it would be to invite other displaced people and make our own family and dinner.

Won't it be funny, if Schaumburger, Village Gal and I all end up in the Villages around the same time? I am so looking forward to the day. It is coming, I just know it.
runnermi,

That would be funny if you, Village Gal and I ended up in TV around the same time. It will be probably be at least 5 years for me before I will be in TV, so I will have to settle for visiting TV a couple of time each year for now. Hope your wait and Village Gal's wait is not that long. I am glad my father has good health (now if he would just wear his hearing aids at all times...so I don't have to repeat myself when I'm visiting) But he turns 81 next month and at that age health problems can pop up pretty fast. I'm taking it one day at a time because if I think five or more years wait I get unhappy.

The orphan holiday dinner is a great idea! I will bring the pecan pie or green bean casserole -- I usually don't mess those dishes up. No one ever confused me with Martha Stewart.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:50 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Everyone needs to plan there life as a priority for what they want. We all need to care for our loved ones, make sure that we have planned for their future, but we also need to enjoy our own life. If I knew my time was limited, and I am sure it is to some extent, I would and have done everything possible to make sure she is secure, has the necessary resources, and is set up to enjoy her life. I would want her to be in a place that had the things she wants and needs to enjoy her time without me. I want to be happy and enjoy life with her as long as possible, but when I go before her, which every statistic says I will, I want her to forget about me and do what she has to do to be happy going forward.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:02 PM
village_gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
Everyone needs to plan there life as a priority for what they want. We all need to care for our loved ones, make sure that we have planned for their future, but we also need to enjoy our own life. If I knew my time was limited, and I am sure it is to some extent, I would and have done everything possible to make sure she is secure, has the necessary resources, and is set up to enjoy her life. I would want her to be in a place that had the things she wants and needs to enjoy her time without me. I want to be happy and enjoy life with her as long as possible, but when I go before her, which every statistic says I will, I want her to forget about me and do what she has to do to be happy going forward.
l2ridehd, you are right about how my husband should feel and he really does care about what is best for me. My husband probably thinks he is looking out for my best interest. Thats why he doesn't want me to move away, he knows my son would be right there if I needed him. No one knows when and who is going to go first. I love him enough to make sure his last day's are also the right thing for him. He almost died last June, I can't think of what I want, I care enough to do what is right for him at this time.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:10 AM
Veteran member
Location: Wheatfield, NY - next to Niagara Falls; Village of St. James

[QUOTE=Schaumburger;347216]Swimdawg, That was a very interesting and insightful post. May I ask what Village you are planning to make your future home in? I also agree it is a good idea to do research in advance as making a long distance move is a big decision. Since it will be several years before I plan on moving to TV, I have plenty of time to think about it, but TV seems like the right place for me.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Schaum, I will be in the Village of St. James, the newest village and probably the last village before Brownwood. I like the location because it looks to be halfway between the town squares of LSL and Brownwood.

VillageGal, my heart goes out to you. It sounds like you have your hands full with an ill husband. Why not make his last days as happy as possible....and at the same time, you can have some fun planning your future by going to this website, TV website, real estate websites, etc......and planning your life after your husband goes to God? As I said before, your day will come.....mine, too!
Old 04-17-2011, 06:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Thinking about all the wisdom presented here everyday. What a good way to start each day reading some of my favorite writers and philosophers on this very site.

My Helene says..."You can't have everything you want" and if you knew her you would see that she is a together person who deals with the reality of today and is cheerful and caring of others.

And if you think about it, that is true. None of us can have everything we want. Doing everything you can to help you like what you have today is sometimes the way to deal with frustration about the future. I have wasted so many precious days worrying and wondering.

I try really hard to find joy in this moment, and kind of like the motto, "Bloom where you're planted". (I fail often at this endeavor)

And Swimdawg, the area south of 466A will have a number of new villages and the first on that side will be called Sanibel. It will be fun to see the names of each new village emerge as they approach the new square, Brownwood.

I am glad that none of us is that far from any of the other of us. It is a big small town, or a small big town.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:48 AM
Veteran member
Location: Wheatfield, NY - next to Niagara Falls; Village of St. James

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Thinking about all the wisdom presented here everyday. What a good way to start each day reading some of my favorite writers and philosophers on this very site.

My Helene says..."You can't have everything you want" and if you knew her you would see that she is a together person who deals with the reality of today and is cheerful and caring of others.

And if you think about it, that is true. None of us can have everything we want. Doing everything you can to help you like what you have today is sometimes the way to deal with frustration about the future. I have wasted so many precious days worrying and wondering.

I try really hard to find joy in this moment, and kind of like the motto, "Bloom where you're planted". (I fail often at this endeavor)

And Swimdawg, the area south of 466A will have a number of new villages and the first on that side will be called Sanibel. It will be fun to see the names of each new village emerge as they approach the new square, Brownwood.

I am glad that none of us is that far from any of the other of us. It is a big small town, or a small big town.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gracie, Are there going to be any new villages built north of 466A? Somehow I was under the impression that St. James would be the last? I suppose ya never know what the Morses have under their hats? (We need that family here in WNY where people are so afraid of change......& the "preservationists" want to keep everything the way it was decades ago....even to the point of not knocking down rusty grain elevators on the beautiful waterfront. Don't get me started!) Your Helene: A very special and wise woman. I saw you 3 G's in that Freeze video and y'all look so cute! In fact, all you TOTV people look like fun people........count me in!
Old 04-17-2011, 09:17 AM
village_gal

[quote=swimdawg;347384]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
VillageGal, my heart goes out to you. It sounds like you have your hands full with an ill husband. Why not make his last days as happy as possible....and at the same time, you can have some fun planning your future by going to this website, TV website, real estate websites, etc......and planning your life after your husband goes to God? As I said before, your day will come.....mine, too!
Thank you Schaumburger I am glad you understand

Omg, this morning I was talking with my husband about TV because of the video's that I watched last night. I love zumba and I had no idea there was aqua-zumba until I seen it on youtube taking place in TV. I went on to tell him there were little golf carts all over the place, he smiled. I told him about the concerts and how it was just a little (ok, it's growing) city and how cute it was and how much there was to do there Especially how friendly the people are. He continued to smile and said, "Ok, I'll take you there, we can go spend the day". Now all I have to do is gather up imformation and plan my trip to TV. If anyone has any suggestions such as best days to come, etc. I would appreciate it.

This might not be a move, but a step closer to my dream. Thank you for letting me be a part of this forum, you have all been very nice.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:47 AM
Default AWESOME Village Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by village_gal View Post

[I]
"Ok, I'll take you there, we can go spend the day". Now all I have to do is gather up imformation and plan my trip to TV. If anyone has any suggestions such as best days to come, etc. I would appreciate it.
AWESOME! Hopefully some of the great folks on TOTV that live there could arrange an "army" of welcomers to meet y'all at Lake Sumter Landing. I would suggest taking the trolley tour. It would give you a quick glimpse of the community, if hubby was able to do the trolley tour. Maybe some TOTV friends could join you. Having others share with y'all their experiences would let your husband know that what you have shared is not through "rose colored glasses". Take it slow and easy, but with just one day I would pack as much in as you can without tiring down. I would go on a day when the vendors are at LSL square (can't remember which days those are), just to get a flare of that experience.

Just my "2-cents" worth to get you started.

Wonderful news. I'm sure hubby is starting to feeling your enthusiasm!!
Old 04-17-2011, 10:46 AM
village_gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbama View Post
AWESOME! Hopefully some of the great folks on TOTV that live there could arrange an "army" of welcomers to meet y'all at Lake Sumter Landing. I would suggest taking the trolley tour. It would give you a quick glimpse of the community, if hubby was able to do the trolley tour. Maybe some TOTV friends could join you. Having others share with y'all their experiences would let your husband know that what you have shared is not through "rose colored glasses". Take it slow and easy, but with just one day I would pack as much in as you can without tiring down. I would go on a day when the vendors are at LSL square (can't remember which days those are), just to get a flare of that experience.

Just my "2-cents" worth to get you started.

Wonderful news. I'm sure hubby is starting to feeling your enthusiasm!!
l

Thanks John! Thats exactly what I intend to to.....Since he tires easy I have to chose wisely and make him interested enough to want to return for a second visit. I've offeret to buy lunch, with his money of course. Now I have to make sure I choose the best place to eat for lunch. Have a great Sunday.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:31 PM
Sage
Default Visiting TV

[quote=village_gal;347429]
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimdawg View Post

Thank you Schaumburger I am glad you understand

Omg, this morning I was talking with my husband about TV because of the video's that I watched last night. I love zumba and I had no idea there was aqua-zumba until I seen it on youtube taking place in TV. I went on to tell him there were little golf carts all over the place, he smiled. I told him about the concerts and how it was just a little (ok, it's growing) city and how cute it was and how much there was to do there Especially how friendly the people are. He continued to smile and said, "Ok, I'll take you there, we can go spend the day". Now all I have to do is gather up imformation and plan my trip to TV. If anyone has any suggestions such as best days to come, etc. I would appreciate it.

This might not be a move, but a step closer to my dream. Thank you for letting me be a part of this forum, you have all been very nice.
Village Gal,

The very nice post above was from Swimdawg.

I would also recommend you take the trolley tour if you and your husband come to TV for a day visit. If you call the TV sales office, they will give you inhformation about the trolley tour as far as days and times. I took the trolley tour last year on my first visit to TV when I visited TV with a friend of mine and her sister who looking at TV for a post retirement home. The trolley tour lasts about 45 minutes, and it is narrated by a TV resident who is glad to answer questions. The narrator on the trolley tour I took last year was a single lady who had bought a patio villa in TV several years ago, and her schedule sounded very busy! Of course the tour cannot go all over TV as TV is too large, but it does give you an idea of what TV is like. The trolley tours starts at the TV sales center in Lake Sumter Landing. Then of course, if you want, you can talk to a TV sales rep. I remember a sales rep. took me, my friend who already lives in Florida and my friend's sister who is retiring in 2 months to see some new homes in the Village of Buttonwood -- very nice. I was so impressed! We also went to a few open houses on our own each day as we were in TV for 5 days. Some of the open houses were held by TV sales agents, and some were held by outside real estate agents. We saw homes on the historic side and homes that were new built and had not been lived it. There are open houses in TV every day, just not on weekends as I am used to up north. The open houses are listed in the Daily Sun each day.

Last September my friend's sister bought a house in the Village of Caroline, and she has spent a couple of weeks in her TV home during Winter Break and Spring Break. She is moving to TV full time at the end of June, a few weeks after the school year is over. So she is moving to TV without knowing anyone, but her sister, who is my long time friend, only lives about 90 miles away in Titusville.

Who knows, maybe your husband will fall in love with TV. After taking the trolley tour, seeing how well laid out, well landscaped and clean TV is, I was sold. So when I'm renting in TV this July, I will be driving a golf cart for the first time and getting lost all over the place for about one week. Watch for the confused lady with the map in a golf cart -- that will be me. All help will be appreciated.

Keep posting as you make plans for your visit.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
l

Thanks John! Thats exactly what I intend to to.....Since he tires easy I have to chose wisely and make him interested enough to want to return for a second visit. I've offeret to buy lunch, with his money of course. Now I have to make sure I choose the best place to eat for lunch. Have a great Sunday.
Village_gal,
That's wonderful news. I agree the trolley tour is a good choice. It's relaxing and provides a good overview of the lifestyle and beauty of TV.

If your husband is a fan of a particular type of music, I suggest coming on a day when a quality band who plays that type of music will be at one of the town squares.

Each Thursdays The Daily Sun publishes the Recreation News. In it, you can find out who is playing at the squares and what other events are happening that might interest your hubby.

If you want to lunch at one of the country clubs, I suggest Cane Gardens. If you want to lunch at one of the town squares, Toojays is a good choice. Whichever town square you will visit in the evening, you could go to the other town square for lunch at Toojays.

During the day, take him to see one or more of the recreation centers. Each has a different theme and decor. All of them are nice. Both town squares also have a movie theater, if he enjoys movies.

Enjoy your visit and please keep us posted!
Old 04-17-2011, 07:18 PM
village_gal

Pturner, thanks for that bit of information. My husband loves music of all kinds and that was going to be my trick up my sleeve. I will check out the newspaper and decide from there the best time to come.

We have Toojay's here as well, I would like to eat some place different then what we have here. Maybe an early dinner would be better.

Can I go into the different country clubs with out permission?
Old 04-17-2011, 07:24 PM
Sage

Yes, you may eat at the country clubs without a resident or guest pass.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:25 PM
village_gal

[quote=Schaumburger;347500]
Quote:

Village Gal,

The very nice post above was from Swimdawg.
Oops my bad. Thank you so much for the long post. I am keeping notes and I'm sure they are all going to come in handy.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Pturner, thanks for that bit of information. My husband loves music of all kinds and that was going to be my trick up my sleeve. I will check out the newspaper and decide from there the best time to come.

We have Toojay's here as well, I would like to eat some place different then what we have here. Maybe an early dinner would be better.

Can I go into the different country clubs with out permission?
Cane Garden is a good choice. We like the Lighthouse, right on the lake. Great view, and if the weather is nice and not too windy go for sitting outside on the back deck. I think it is covered. I always get shrimp, but maybe some "frogs" can give you a better idea of the different choices and quality. We all have different tastes when it comes to food, so what's good to me may be "yuke" to someone else!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.