Michiganders. Where were you before TV? Do you go back in the Summer?

Closed Thread
Old 04-27-2011, 01:45 PM
Gold member
Default Michiganders. Where were you before TV? Do you go back in the Summer?

Just wondering about fellow Michiganders in TV.
Do you like TV or FL for that matter now that you are here?
We moved to FL in 2004 from Birmingham and spend summers In Harbor Springs.
How about you?
Old 04-27-2011, 01:49 PM
Veteran member

We do 6 mos. TV and 6mos. Jackson, MI (about 40mins. west of Ann Arbor). Usually we don't like going back....BUT with the heat this year, we are READY
Old 04-27-2011, 02:19 PM
Default Still Michiganders

It is about 50/50 right now. We still have a Michigan residence in Clinton Township. Both places have their positives.I love the warmth and sunshine of The Villages in the late fall and winter months. Michigan is beautiful in May and June and as the seasons change in the early fall. I think our golf courses in Michigan are more picturesque and pristine than those in Florida.
With that said, we definitely miss our friends and activities in The Villages.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:53 PM

Born in Royal Oak - grew up in Bloomfield Hills-lived in Ft. Lauderdale for 12 years - returned to Michigan for another degree and then lived in Dryden, Lapeer County. Worked at Crittenton Hospital in Rochester. In 2000 - moved to Cape Coral ( SW Florida). In 2004, almost retired in small village deep in the southern Argentine side of the Andes Mountains ( Patagonia) but ended up here. I return to Michigan at least once a summer to visit friends and persue genealogy. Wish my visits go Michigan could be longer in the Summer. Two years ago I was able to spend a month outside Harbor Springs - Petosky area. Love the UP (Yuppers) but hate the bridge! Michigan in the summer is lush and beautiful. Wish I could "snowbird" and have the best of both worlds. I envy the lucky snowbirds.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:44 AM
Eternal Member

We've been in Florida 11 years full time. Last Michigan home was Grand Rapids. Before that, I grew up in Troy & hubby grew up in Detroit. Later, lived in Utica, Rochester, Clawson, Hazel Park, Harbor Beach in the thumb & had a summer place at Sandy Pines in Dorr between Grand Rapids & Kalamazoo. Michigan is a beautiful state, but I love the heat. Going in July to my neices wedding in Troy & I'll see my daughter who lives in Grand Rapids.
I do miss the fall & going to the Cider Mills !
Old 04-28-2011, 08:11 PM
Default Heading back to Michigan this week end

It's sort of bitter sweet - leaving.... But have family and friends in Michigan... Sometimes feel splintered... Live outside the little town of Hamburg on Strawberry Lake. We love our time in the Villages... so many things to do and we take advantage of the activities here. We don't even golf and love it. See you next December.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:22 PM

Does any one ever totally leave MI? I moved from there to Maryland in 1977 and to me MI is still home. I lived in Birmingham when born then famuily moved to Clawson then back to Birmingham where I lived for 16 years. Graduated from High school there and then move on to East Lansing and Lansing before moving to Maryland after college graduation. I still have family in Oxford, Jackson and Chelsea. I love going back and really love northern MI and the UP! At one time I thought maybe I'd move back there upon retirement, but then I visited TV and well snowy cold winters lost their appeal. Can't afford to maintain two homes so I hope by this coming winter TV will be my new home. MI will always have a place in my heart though.
Suzanne
Old 04-29-2011, 01:56 AM
Veteran member

Born in the Bronx and moved to Joisey when I was 4 years old. Lived in Joisey for 66 years and then moved to the Villages. We reside in the Villages for 9 months and return to Joisey for June, July and August.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:59 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2at View Post
Born in the Bronx and moved to Joisey when I was 4 years old. Lived in Joisey for 66 years and then moved to the Villages. We reside in the Villages for 9 months and return to Joisey for June, July and August.
is that in the upper penninsula?
Old 04-29-2011, 10:46 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by red tail View Post
is that in the upper penninsula?
Could be the UP!

I spent my first 50 years in Birmingham (Seaholm Class of '72) and stayed in Bham until 2004 when we moved to FL.

My wife (Grosse Pointe "The High" Class of 65) had first moved to CA then back to MI found it a little easier to leave MI than I.

I do feel like FL is home but MI (we do have a summer home in Harbor Springs) is still HOME.

2 homes does get expensive and we are very grateful to be able have them but I'm sure someday we won't have both and will tire of the 22 hour drive back and forth. Maybe when I'm 77 in 20 years.

We had thought about moving back North and having just 1 home and then rent/ travel the winter months. We do realize as we age its probably better without a snowy climate and having the FL sunshine and weather.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:54 PM
Default michigan folks

Moved from Frankenmuth 3 years ago...and LOVE it !!! although there will always be great memories, the new ones I made here are wonderful. Still have high hope for the Lions & Tigers !!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy the sunshine and warm weather..
Old 04-29-2011, 02:01 PM
Eternal Member

I always loved Frankenmuth. Some friends of mine in the Villages brought us back a loaf of Stollen bread & a jar of Bing Cherry Jelly. Yum !!
Old 04-29-2011, 02:32 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
I always loved Frankenmuth. Some friends of mine in the Villages brought us back a loaf of Stollen bread & a jar of Bing Cherry Jelly. Yum !!
That is the best.

We have lunch at Zehnders every July and then do Bronners to get ornaments for our grand kids with their names on them

Viener Schnitzel (sp), stollen with jam and all the garnishes they bring; even the duck pate! I'm getting hungry.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.