I want to move to The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 04-15-2011, 09:59 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default You will have family close by

Two weeks after we moved here weearned that our 38 yo SIL had cancer. We had to head north to stay with our daughter during his surgery. Our new family, "my neighbors of two weeks" watched our house for us. took in packages and gathered mail. We all come down here, away from our families so we all NEED each other. That should not be a concern. Lots of people are single and they are well accepted. When we party we invite singles and couples. Never having seen it can easily be taken care of. Give it a chance.

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 04-15-2011, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by village_gal View Post
So many nice posts and so many wannabee/gonnabee's, I'm glad I'm not alone. I might find a way to get my husband to visit TV, but unfortunately not to move. One day I won't be a wannabee, I'm gonnabee!

Nice to meet all of you and thanks for addressing my forum post. Also sorry to hear of your husband's passing, nussbaum. Thank God for friends.
I signed off and almost went to bed without replying. Something compelled me to log back on. Village Gal, you have to understand the uniqueness about TV. It is not another town" or just a "retirement community". What we have found in our 7 visits was a place where making friends is as easy as saying "howdy". Just in the few weeks that I have been registered on TOTV, I've made friends and never met them. People I plan to meet in person some day soon.

During the last 5 visits we brought an old friend and golfing buddy of mine. He lost his wife almost 6 years ago and was a devoted husband and was a very "to himself" and almost shy type person. He and I were paired up with different couples while playing golf and a few single guys during most of our visits. By the end of the round, we felt each time like they all were the best of friends. (All golfers are not like that! Trust me.) No where in the few towns we have lived have we experienced such openness or friendly people and I'm talking "sincere friendly". I'm talking about sitting for an hour by the ponds at the entrance to Glenview Golf Course (along Buena Vista) and chatting with people who just happen to pull their golf cart next to yours with the intent of feeding the fish. To me that is "sincere friendly" and we have seen it time, after time, after time.

My friend is now hooked on TV and plans to move there too. You talk about one giant step for mankind! He has come out of his shell that much. There is something about surrounding yourself with so many people who can relate to you and your situation that gives you a "peace" or a reassuring calmness that makes the decision to move there so easy. Especially after we learned you didn't have to have a gazillion dollars to live there. We knew after our first trolly tour that The Villages was where we wanted to be for the rest of our life. Is it perfect? Nearly. Do I care if it is not perfect? NAW!!!! I'm not perfect either! But I like structure and rules and want to live in a place where the vast majority of residents want the same. Without it there is chaos, like we are seeing in many of our cities and towns now. That is why you will read some "ventilating" on some of the threads on TOTV, because I believe the residlents want to make TV even better and get the few (who apparently what to make their own rules) to shape up, be more considerate, and abide by the rules too!!

Moving alone to a new town can be scary because you are kinda on your own. NOT SO at TV. The vast majority of residents are as encouraging, sincere and helpful as everyone on TOTV. You have already gotten a good sampling of nice folks, just from your one post.

There is a magic about TV that I simply don't have the words to describe. But it is such an active, vibrant community with more activities and ways to rekindle those young adult dreams we all had before marriage, kids, caring for aging parents, and enduring the hard knocks of life that came our way.

Want to learn to dance, but never had the time? Well TV is for you. Name a thousand things you always wanted to do or learn to do but now feel life has passed you by? Well, TV is for you. There is a kid in each of us screaming to get out and everytime we go to TV we let the "kids out" to enjoy themselves. You don't have to impress anyone down there, because I believe everyone who lives at TV is there for one reason and one reason only - to live in a clean, secure and safe community; have a lot of fun; learn to do new things; make new friends and enjoy life for the remainder of the days the good Lord gives us.

I pray you can convince your husband to go. I also encourage you to do the Lifestyles visit. Ours was over 5 years ago. We go back annually, but rent directly from an owner. When we learned there is an assisted living facility there and a Hospice, it took away that fear of "what will I do when I can't get around anymore". But, hey - I'm almost 69 and too young to worry about that. Besides, I've got lots of line dances to learn!!

WOW, guess I have become the "mouth of the South". Apologies for being so longwinded. It took me a thousand words to say -"GO! You and your husband will fall in love with TV like we all have!"

I'm finished!

Goodnight and to quote Red Skelton "God Bless"!!
Old 04-16-2011, 06:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,504 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbama View Post
I signed off and almost went to bed without replying. Something compelled me to log back on. Village Gal, you have to understand the uniqueness about TV. It is not another town" or just a "retirement community". What we have found in our 7 visits was a place where making friends is as easy as saying "howdy". Just in the few weeks that I have been registered on TOTV, I've made friends and never met them. People I plan to meet in person some day soon.

During the last 5 visits we brought an old friend and golfing buddy of mine. He lost his wife almost 6 years ago and was a devoted husband and was a very "to himself" and almost shy type person. He and I were paired up with different couples while playing golf and a few single guys during most of our visits. By the end of the round, we felt each time like they all were the best of friends. (All golfers are not like that! Trust me.) No where in the few towns we have lived have we experienced such openness or friendly people and I'm talking "sincere friendly". I'm talking about sitting for an hour by the ponds at the entrance to Glenview Golf Course (along Buena Vista) and chatting with people who just happen to pull their golf cart next to yours with the intent of feeding the fish. To me that is "sincere friendly" and we have seen it time, after time, after time.

My friend is now hooked on TV and plans to move there too. You talk about one giant step for mankind! He has come out of his shell that much. There is something about surrounding yourself with so many people who can relate to you and your situation that gives you a "peace" or a reassuring calmness that makes the decision to move there so easy. Especially after we learned you didn't have to have a gazillion dollars to live there. We knew after our first trolly tour that The Villages was where we wanted to be for the rest of our life. Is it perfect? Nearly. Do I care if it is not perfect? NAW!!!! I'm not perfect either! But I like structure and rules and want to live in a place where the vast majority of residents want the same. Without it there is chaos, like we are seeing in many of our cities and towns now. That is why you will read some "ventilating" on some of the threads on TOTV, because I believe the residlents want to make TV even better and get the few (who apparently what to make their own rules) to shape up, be more considerate, and abide by the rules too!!

Moving alone to a new town can be scary because you are kinda on your own. NOT SO at TV. The vast majority of residents are as encouraging, sincere and helpful as everyone on TOTV. You have already gotten a good sampling of nice folks, just from your one post.

There is a magic about TV that I simply don't have the words to describe. But it is such an active, vibrant community with more activities and ways to rekindle those young adult dreams we all had before marriage, kids, caring for aging parents, and enduring the hard knocks of life that came our way.

Want to learn to dance, but never had the time? Well TV is for you. Name a thousand things you always wanted to do or learn to do but now feel life has passed you by? Well, TV is for you. There is a kid in each of us screaming to get out and everytime we go to TV we let the "kids out" to enjoy themselves. You don't have to impress anyone down there, because I believe everyone who lives at TV is there for one reason and one reason only - to live in a clean, secure and safe community; have a lot of fun; learn to do new things; make new friends and enjoy life for the remainder of the days the good Lord gives us.

I pray you can convince your husband to go. I also encourage you to do the Lifestyles visit. Ours was over 5 years ago. We go back annually, but rent directly from an owner. When we learned there is an assisted living facility there and a Hospice, it took away that fear of "what will I do when I can't get around anymore". But, hey - I'm almost 69 and too young to worry about that. Besides, I've got lots of line dances to learn!!

WOW, guess I have become the "mouth of the South". Apologies for being so longwinded. It took me a thousand words to say -"GO! You and your husband will fall in love with TV like we all have!"

I'm finished!

Goodnight and to quote Red Skelton "God Bless"!!
John. We G's cannot wait to make your aquaintance in person.

Your post was a beautiful window into your heart.

What a nice man you are!
Old 04-16-2011, 07:50 AM
Veteran member
Location: Wheatfield, NY - next to Niagara Falls; Village of St. James
Default Go for it!

Quote:
Someday I hope to move to The Villages, yet I have never visited. I have heard so many good things about The Villages and looked at websites. It would be exactly where I would want to live. I would be moving there single and with out any family near by. Plus, I would not know anyone in The Villages. Maybe it's not a good idea to move single with out family close enough to help you. Perhaps, I'll never make it to The Villages afterall.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Momesu and Village Gal,

I can relate to so many things you are saying. I am alone (well, I do have the dawg, Lexi!). I've been doing my homeword on retirement communities for years & knew TV would be for me. I have a 90-year-old aunt failing in a nursing home. I would never leave her but I can see the writing on the wall. I came down on a Lifestyle Preview Plan in January and as you can see by the avatar, I put a deposit down on a lot. I had a friend with me who had to leave after a couple days to help her daughter so I was totally alone (during a terrible rainstorm & tornado warning, no less). I was actually glad so I could experience being alone in TV. From the moment I stepped on the shuttle from the airport to TV, I met so many nice, friendly, helpful people. I went to the Square by myself....no problem. I know I can handle being in TV by myself with no problem. You will, too! I got lost.....good thing....met more nice people! TOTV has been a tremendous help. I have a notebook and take notes of recommondations, etc.

You're right.....it is scary. I do have a nice lifestyle here in COLD WNY...but I know it will be just as good in TV, if not better. I am blessed with some wonderful friends here and some of them were not supportive when I told them of my plans. However, they are busy with their grandchildren, family, etc. and I don't have that. Now they have turned their heads around. There are many wonderful, helpful people on this forum. I know I have made the right decision about my future.......and I wish you the same happiness that I see in my future. Hope to eventually see ya 'round town!

Last edited by swimdawg; 04-16-2011 at 08:42 AM. Reason: wrong wording
Old 04-16-2011, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
John. We G's cannot wait to make your aquaintance in person.

Your post was a beautiful window into your heart.

What a nice man you are!
My wife may at times disagree about the nice guy part! However, we have managed 41 years of hugging, fussing, crying and loving together! We are 100% together about getting to TV and she isn't a golfer. I have no fears about growing "older" at TV.

Can't wait to meet you and many others in the not too distant future. Thanks for the kind words. I was trying to share some personal experiences with Village Gal to hopefully help with convincing her husband to visit. Never use the "M" word (move), just visit for a change of scenery. Moving is certainly a scary thought for some or even out of the question because of health reasons. Even if I couldn't do the things I use to, I would still move to TV. That time will come for us all and I believe facing that time will be much easier when you are surrounded by sincere friends who actually care about one another and helping each other through the hard times. I feel at TV everyone is in the "same boat" - loving and living life to the fullest.

HUGS Graciegirl!
Old 04-16-2011, 08:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,504 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimdawg View Post
Momesu and Village Gal,

I can relate to so many things you are saying. A am alone (well, I do have the dawg, Lexi!). I've been doing my homeword on retirement communities for years & knew TV would be for me. I have a 90-year-old aunt failing in a nursing home. I would never leave her but I can see the writing on the wall. I came down on a Lifestyle Preview Plan in January and as you can see by the avatar, I put a deposit down on a lot. I had a friend with me who had to leave after a couple days to help her daughter so I was totally alone (during a terrible rainstorm & tornado warning, no less). I was actually glad so I could experience being alone in TV. From the moment I stepped on the shuttle from the airport to TV, I met so many nice, friendly, helpful people. I went to the Square by myself....no problem. I know I can handle being in TV by myself with no problem. You will, too! I got lost.....good thing....met more nice people! TOTV has been a tremendous help. I have a notebook and take notes of recommondations, etc.

You're right.....it is scary. I do have a nice lifestyle here in COLD WNY...but I know it will be just as good in TV, if not better. I am blessed with some wonderful friends here and some of them were not supportive when I told them of my plans. However, they are busy with their grandchildren, family, etc. and I don't have that. Now they have turned their heads around. There are many wonderful, helpful people on this forum. I know I have made the right decision about my future.......and I wish you the same happiness that I see in my future. Hope to eventually see ya 'round town!
I have already made you my friend in my heart Swimdawg. Write down Thanksgiving at my house.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:22 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I have already made you my friend in my heart Swimdawg. Write down Thanksgiving at my house.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tears of happiness.....you are tooooooo much! Gracias, Gracie
Old 04-16-2011, 09:04 AM
village_gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbama View Post
My wife may at times disagree about the nice guy part! However, we have managed 41 years of hugging, fussing, crying and loving together! We are 100% together about getting to TV and she isn't a golfer. I have no fears about growing "older" at TV.

Can't wait to meet you and many others in the not too distant future. Thanks for the kind words. I was trying to share some personal experiences with Village Gal to hopefully help with convincing her husband to visit. Never use the "M" word (move), just visit for a change of scenery. Moving is certainly a scary thought for some or even out of the question because of health reasons. Even if I couldn't do the things I use to, I would still move to TV. That time will come for us all and I believe facing that time will be much easier when you are surrounded by sincere friends who actually care about one another and helping each other through the hard times. I feel at TV everyone is in the "same boat" - loving and living life to the fullest.

HUGS Graciegirl!
Thank you so much jgbama, your post was great as well as everyone else's. I had a short talk with hubby today and there is no way to convince him that I belong an hour away from my kids. It looks like I will have to wait for a later date to move, or course that is not going to stop me from dreaming! I would like to enjoy the rest of my life after he passes doing fun things not sitting in a house alone. I will plan a visit to TV as soon as I can, I need to see first hand what I am dreaming about. However, without a doubt, I already know I will love TV. It sound like heaven and I'm only an hour away.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:16 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Thank you so much jgbama, your post was great as well as everyone else's. I had a short talk with hubby today and there is no way to convince him that I belong an hour away from my kids. It looks like I will have to wait for a later date to move, or course that is not going to stop me from dreaming! I would like to enjoy the rest of my life after he passes doing fun things not sitting in a house alone. I will plan a visit to TV as soon as I can, I need to see first hand what I am dreaming about. However, without a doubt, I already know I will love TV. It sound like heaven and I'm only an hour away.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
One day at a time, Village Gal! Your day will come........
Old 04-16-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Momesu and Village Gal,

I can relate to so many things you are saying. I am alone (well, I do have the dawg, Lexi!). I've been doing my homeword on retirement communities for years & knew TV would be for me. I have a 90-year-old aunt failing in a nursing home. I would never leave her but I can see the writing on the wall. I came down on a Lifestyle Preview Plan in January and as you can see by the avatar, I put a deposit down on a lot. I had a friend with me who had to leave after a couple days to help her daughter so I was totally alone (during a terrible rainstorm & tornado warning, no less). I was actually glad so I could experience being alone in TV. From the moment I stepped on the shuttle from the airport to TV, I met so many nice, friendly, helpful people. I went to the Square by myself....no problem. I know I can handle being in TV by myself with no problem. You will, too! I got lost.....good thing....met more nice people! TOTV has been a tremendous help. I have a notebook and take notes of recommondations, etc.

Hi there,
I am hoping to do a lifestyle preview week sometime this summer. I need to do it in the summer to prove to my friends here in MD that I really don't mind FL summers. They all try to tell me I will hate them. It's MD winters I hate! Heat I can live with. MD is pretty hot and humid itself, but they just don't agree. I really want to make this move work. I feel in my heart it is right for me I just don't know how to make all the pieces fit together yet. Finalize separation settlement agreement, get rid of clutter in MD house, fix up MD house, sell MD house and find somewhere to live in TV. It's all a bit overwhelming for me. I've never had to make decisions like this all on my own. Then there's the actual move itself. Ok one day at a time....
Old 04-16-2011, 11:43 AM
Sage

Quote:
Momesu and Village Gal,

Swimdawg, That was a very interesting and insightful post. May I ask what Village you are planning to make your future home in? I also agree it is a good idea to do research in advance as making a long distance move is a big decision. Since it will be several years before I plan on moving to TV, I have plenty of time to think about it, but TV seems like the right place for me. Aside from dropping some hints like "I don't plan on spending my golden years in the snow belt" I have not told my family of my potential plans to move to TV as it is still quite some time away. As long as my Dad is alive, I feel I owe it to him to live within a reasonable driving distance (150 miles) from his home in Iowa. Once I do plan to move to TV, I'm sure I will get a variety of opinions from my sisters. I have made it a point not to comment to my sisters on their decisions/lifestyles as I feel we are all adults now who can make our own decisions, but I'm sure I will hear their opinions about me moving from Illinois to TV when the time comes. Or maybe they will surprise me and say "Great, when can we come down to visit." Family, gotta love 'em.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:54 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nussbaum View Post
My husband and I moved down less than 2 yrs ago knowing his health was an issue. But he wanted to be in TV, so we sold our Indiana home quickly and came down. He passed away in Feb, and I am so thankful we were able to be here for his last year +. All of my family is back north and I still chose to stay here rather than put up with winter and do nothing but babysit. It is time to enjoy life! I love it here and whether it is neighbors or people you meet at activities, they are truly great people that have become wonderful friends. They look out for me like I am their family. I am relatively shy until I get to know you, but I have great friends in TV. Don't even hesitate! Come on down.
Nussbaum,

I'm sorry about the loss of your husband. You are right in wanting to enjoy your life. At my job, I have been e-mailing a new customer for my company for a couple of weeks now, and this woman lives in South Africa. In her signature line on her e-mails she includes the phrase: "Enjoy life -- it is not a rehearsal." How right she is.

So go and enjoy the Florida sunshine and 85 degree temps. because it is 44 degrees, dreary and drizzling in Chicago today.
Old 04-16-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
As long as my Dad is alive, I feel I owe it to him to live within a reasonable driving distance (150 miles) from his home in Iowa. Once I do plan to move to TV, I'm sure I will get a variety of opinions from my sisters. I have made it a point not to comment to my sisters on their decisions/lifestyles as I feel we are all adults now who can make our own decisions, but I'm sure I will hear their opinions about me moving from Illinois to TV when the time comes. Or maybe they will surprise me and say "Great, when can we come down to visit." Family, gotta love 'em.
My wife's parents are part of the reason we haven't moved. But I've told my brother that we are planning to move, even though I take him and his wife for doctor appointments occasionally. He has other family in the area, and there comes a time when, as selfish as it may sound, we become the priority and make plans to do what we want and not try to appease everyone else. If my friends and family object. . . so be it. You are so right with "Family, gotta love 'em!!"

Hope we can meet up in TV one day.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:47 PM

John, I have told my one sibling that already. My other sibling is a trainwreck at best and I am being kind. Once my mom passes, Nurse Gail is retiring from managing all family health issues. Not sure who they are going to call as long as it isn't me.

Gracie, I have thought before of hosting an orphan dinner at the holidays. It is a hard time of year when you don't have any place to go. How nice it would be to invite other displaced people and make our own family and dinner.

Won't it be funny, if Schaumburger, Village Gal and I all end up in the Villages around the same time? I am so looking forward to the day. It is coming, I just know it.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:55 PM

John

You are a wonderful human being. Your post made me cry in a good way. Thank you or your openness.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.